SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

What possible fun

16 years ago

could teens get out of ruining a Christmas light display.

I can even understand stealing more than senseless vandalism.

My husband works for weeks each year (and spends countless $$$) on our display. It's extensive, people come from all over to see it, and a good number of the figures and decorations are handmade ones he designed and created himself. Tonight, a bunch of older teens came by and kicked and broke several of our lawn ornaments. DH managed to follow them, and get a good look at them--after which he called the police, and found that there have been several complaints of houses hit in the neighborhood.

I'm just devastated--he works so hard on the display, and some of what's broken is irreplaceable at the moment (at least in time for this Christmas.) Our neighborhood is a wonderful one--we've had our display up for over 30 years and this is only the 3rd time we've had any serious vandalism to contend with, but I just sit here trying to figure out what kind of a thrill a kid gets or thinks he would get out of flattening a gingerbread man, or upending a lighted train that's doing nothing but bringing a little cheer to the neighborhood.

I really, REALLY didn't need this kind of thing this year. It's hard enough to face the holidays after burying my mother only 2 weeks ago. We've been trying to honor her memory by going on, having our usual holiday celebration--just as she would want us to, but it's already tough enough. This is just not the year to have to deal with this kind of attack

Comments (23)