SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Mickey's slow (but steady?) recovery

alisande
14 years ago

I thought I'd post an update for all of you who have been so supportive of Mickey and his old nurse while his foot injury is being treated.

We made our fifth trip to the vet today. I called her this morning because I noticed during last night's soak (at 1:00 a.m.) that the wound seemed to be starting to scab over in spots, which was good, but the foot was red and swollen and hot, which was not so good. I was worried about it. She said chanced are it was fine, but if I wanted her to take another look at it she wouldn't charge me. We're expecting snow and ice tonight through tomorrow, and I didn't want to delay just in case. So off we went.

The visit was reassuring. She said the foot would always look enlarged because of scar tissue, but she felt there had been an improvement. She said I should keep doing what I've been doing. He needed more antibiotics (his fourth week on them), so I was glad I went. His temperature was normal.

She said I should keep the collar on all the time until the wound heals. I'll do that, although I think it distresses him and makes him eat less. He can reach his food, though; that's not the problem.

She's certain the wound was made by another animal, probably a rat. She said either they were fighting or the rat tried to eat Mickey, starting with the foot. A mouse once bit me in the finger in my sleep, BTW, and that vet (a different one) told me the mouse had most likely taken an experimental bite to see if I was worth eating.

Meanwhile, my hard-working son is putting a lot of effort into improving the barn rooms where Mickey will return to when he's healed. My DS is putting in a new floor, and when he moved some heavy cabinets away from the wall he found several holes where a rodent could have gotten in. He's going to seal them with spray foam.

So that's our story. Mickey and I will be SO glad when he's all better and the soaking bucket can go back to soaking paint brushes. :-)

Susan

Comments (20)