SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Another Holiday-Christmas question

Oakley
13 years ago

Long rant, get a cup of coffee. Or a stiff drink. :)

I'm discussing this on two smaller forums, but I think I'd get the most input here. I don't want to go to the Hot Topics forum. They scare me. lol.

I was reading the other Holiday Question topic and Nicole said she likes to send a card to add to her friends card collection.

And therein lies the problem. I'm like a dog with a bone, I can't let it go. Well, I can until the mail comes.

Simply put, I'm TIRED of getting 90% Photo Cards (no signature) over old-fashioned Christmas greeting cards.

The thing is, I appear to be in the minority. lol. I can't talk to my friends & family about this (except DH who agrees with me) because they all send photo cards.

I'm 56 years old and it kills me knowing in my lifetime the 200 year old art and beautiful Christmas greetings will die a fast death because of photo cards. What's next?

Instead of "bragging" about us with pictures only, shouldn't we be celebrating Him?

I don't mind them from family or friends whom I haven't seen in a long time. I'd prefer though that they still buy a card and stick a picture in it like we used to do in the "old days."

I hope I haven't offended anyone here because I'm sure the majority of you send out the photo cards. lol

Today more photos. I have a total of two "real" cards sitting on my bookcase. I don't WANT to hang pictures of people, I want to hang and collect real cards, darnit!

Do you all realize that we have killed one of the nicest Christmas traditions?

Lastly, I don't buy the "economy" or "no time" excuse. It takes just as much money and time to make your own photo card than it does a greeting card.

Every year I go to the "trouble" of finding the perfect card, writing a short note, and writing their address on the envelope. I think this will be my last year that I'll send anything. And I'm serious.

Thoughts? You all be kind to me because this is a BIG deal to me for some reason. lol

Comments (55)

• lunchlady1948
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I do not do cards picture or otherwise not because I am busy, I do not want too and do not see the point of sending cards to folks I see often~~~if I had pals out of state maybe I would do cards to them. My DH sends cards but not me.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I think photo cards are more personal, actually, because they're sharing their "family" with you, rather than picking up a commercially-produced card that has nothing personal about it, something that has been mass produced by Hallmark or wherever, and sticking a stamp on that and sending it to you.

They're sending their faces and smiles to you for Christmas, is how I see it. :)

But if they know that you prefer the other type of card, it would be nice of them to do that for you.

• Related Discussions

A Survey: When Do You Put Up Your Christmas/Holiday Decorations??

Q

Comments (42)
    Small town life sounds good to me. As does living in the country. We had a few acres when I had horses and other animals back in the 60s and 70's. Phoenix is soooo big, too much traffic, and I hate driving even if it didn't cause my leg to go on the warpath. I was born in a small town, in Ala. I don't really going places alone either, and won't go out at night except to family gatherings at one of my kids. I'm waiting the arrival of my toile plates I just bought. Tho heaven knows what I can find to do with them, but will try just because of all the support I've gotten here. Any table settings I do will be just for ONE, maybe two if you're lucky. LOL. I'm going to be a one-trick pony, sorry about that. I just can't do full tables for many reasons. I've been 'planning' my Christmas decor. Really planning this year. Thought it might take some of the load off me being so over-whelmed with it when I go to unpacking a zillion things in the middle of the floor while telling two cats NOT to help me. A zillion times! One sleepless night I started plotting different places to put things this year. I want my newly begun collection of Nutcrackers (started last year) pretty much together. But I think the purple one should go with the Santa. And I have two golf Santas and two golf Nutcrackers that should stay together. Last year they were with my two other special Nutcrackers, a policeman and a fireman. These have a lot of meaning! I'm going to put my Village in the antique china cabinet in my entry hall this time I think, instead of Painted Pony Cabinet in familyroom. Tho I still have to move over a 100 statues from BOTH. I was thinking of putting Xmas horses and reindeer in the pony cabinet. I have quite a few of both now. Anyway, its fun to mentally decorate. It also doesn't wear me out or hurt my body. LOL. I think I'll start my Village next week in fact. First I have to make room for all those dog statues to safely go on closet shelves for the next two months! Ugh. hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Another Christmas Tree question

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a pre-lit tree that I hate. Getting the light of the different sections connected to each other isn't any picnic. I'd rather string lights. The darned thing isn't small either, so it takes up valuable storage space all year, too. It was very expensive, so I feel that I have to use it to justify the cost. After this year, I plan to go back to a real tree. Have a tree trimming party and invite someone who doesn't mind stringing lights!
    ...See More

Christmas Holiday Update

Q

Comments (7)
    Did you at least get verbal 'thank-you' from any of them? My adult kids always say 'thank-you' but it rarely comes in the form of a written formal note. I get lots of thanks in person at event, calls, texts, that type of thing, but none of them (or their spouses/offspring) have ever failed to say thank-you and shown appreciation. As for gifts at Christmas, we draw names on adults (money is different from household to household for my family) but there is always the little thinking of you symbolic gestures of helping before/after get togethers, food carried in that type of acknowledgement. While my DS32 did not have my name, he sent a Happy New Year gesture of a trip to my favorite salon with a note of 'a treat for you from me'. So yeah, it's a mutual give and take between the kids and I, the love is there and we share it in our own ways through out the year. Sorry about your home being ruined, but right on a new redo, all fixed up and better than ever, and best part maybe it'll all be done (mess clean up/renew work and hassle) by the time you fly home. I was just commenting to the husband this morning about being time for a new kitchen floor, but I don't want to deal with the mess and hassle while it gets done. Think I'll wait until summer when I'm not in kitchen as much and spend more time outside before I get serious about a new floor.
    ...See More

anyone besides me have no Christmas decorations up?

Q

Comments (27)
    Think I went brain dead when we bought our new home. I really got into giving everything to the goodwill. Have no clue what I was thinking when I sent everything for Christmas to them. Think I will buy some items after Christmas for next year. Only thing that I kept was the bubble lights that were on my grandmothers tree in the 40's. They don't work anymore, but they sure bring back the memories to my childhood, sitting in the old wooden chair looking at that Christmas tree.
    ...See More
  • heather_on
    13 years ago

I haven't received any photo cards, most of my friends send me handmade ones.

• carla35
    13 years ago

I totally hear you and although I am one of those people who send out photo cards every year, I understand your point.

At first, they didn't seem too bad. I liked seeing pics of my friend's kids. Then, when people started adding pics of them on vacation in swimsuits, it kind of broke the mood of Christmas for me. I mean your kid in a santa suit in one thing but standing in front of a baseball stadium in cutoffs just doesn't seem to go. You are right, they've become more like bragging photo cards then Christmas greetings.

I'm going to keep your opinion in mind; I have some really pretty cards saved up and never used. I look and them and think I guess I'll never get to use these; maybe I will!

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I havn't received any photo cards,nor do i normally get them.I get regular cards and sometimes special ones that are hand picked,not come in a box.Sometimes there are pictures tucked inside,and i'm fine with that.

Like you(i think) i like the regular old fashioned cards,as i display all my cards on the door and surrounding area.
    kathi

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

I totally agree! I do not like photo cards. I enjoy the old Christmas cards with Santas, Churches, Reindeer,Holly and snow covered trees etc. I spend quite a bit of time picking out my cards and really enjoy receiving them. As said above,"I'd prefer though that they still buy a card and stick a picture in it like we used to do in the "old days."
    I like to display my cards on my dining room door. They are like Christmas decorations to me. If I receive a picture with a card I save both. As a child I would use the previous years cards to make Christmas crafts.
    And don't send me the computer generated, printed letter with the month by month description of every thing that happened in the past year. I prefer a short hand written personal note.

• samkaren
    13 years ago

My SIL sends a photo card of her 3 kids which I enjoy. Other than that I don't care about other photo cards.

Personally i agree with you. I love the old fashioned cards especially with Santa or snowmen on them.

I've pretty much stopped sending cards out in the mail but i do hand them out with gifts. Another thing (okay call me cheap) I make my own cards with my Spirograph. Perfect for all occasions!

My biggest pet peave about this time of year is the "being politically correct". I say Merry Christmas....not Happy Holiday. It's says Christmas on the calendar..not Holiday.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• vala55
    13 years ago

I got one yesterday from my nephew, it was a photo of their children without a Hi or even a signature, nothing. It went right to the shredder.

I also miss the old fashion Christmas Cards with hand written messages in side. Those were signed, but the ones that were treasured were the ones with a personal note written on the card wishing me well, etc.. I wrote in all of mine.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Oakleyoak - Hot Topics doesn't scare me (I know how to use words as blunt instruments with the best of those folks) and I brought up the topic of greeting cards there. Instead of "hot", it's kind of a luke warm thread there so far.

I'm with you in liking the old fashioned or hand-made cards. I just hate to see the old traditions dying out (kinda like Thank-you notes) in favor of ecards, the forwarded seasonal messages, photos with no messages or even signatures... and I mean the people or kittie or doggie photos - not the beautiful snowy landscapes or the gorgeous poinsettia by candlelight.

I'm not too hard on the Christmas letter - but I did get a laugher this year... five huge paragrahs on HOCKEY. Then a little short sentence like an afterthought: "_______ and I got to visit Austria." Maybe they would have had more to say about it if they'd found someone playing HOCKEY. LOL!

I will be continuing sending Christmas cards for as long as I can hold a pen.

• vannie
    13 years ago

The photo cards we get are from families w/ little children. They are usually embellished w/ something Christmasy--holly, a tree, etc. I love them b/c it's fun to see how the children have grown over the year.

• nanny98
    13 years ago

A I sit here in my toasty sewing room with Christmas Cards beside me only half done, I think I will chime in and say that "Wow, has WRITING become a challenge" Doesn't even look like the sort-of pretty cursive writing that I used to do. And, it goes uphill then down, big and small. Is that how my brain is functioning these days or am I out of practice. Hope you all will forgive me, but maybe next year it will be all computer driven. Even there/here I have problems. Nanny

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

I agree with oldgardener who said I think photo cards are more personal, actually, because they're sharing their "family" with you, rather than picking up a commercially-produced card that has nothing personal about it, something that has been mass produced by Hallmark or wherever, and sticking a stamp on that and sending it to you.

I don't get a lot of photo cards, but I think it's a nice way to let friends see how your children have grown.

My only real complaint was getting a card and photo from someone I haven't seen for a years and they can't take the time to even explain who the child in the photo is!! I'm guessing it is a grandchild... but who knows! I crossed them off my Christmas card list this year. If you're going to take the time to send me a holiday card (and you don't email or call me)... then write a sentence or two letting me know what's going on in your life. Takes what? 2 minutes?

• mariend
    13 years ago

I have a few relatives that send the cutest photo cards, showing the children in their favorite events. One is extra special because it is from a couple that thought they would never have any children. I do think that some of the plain photos could use a note with them or a signature, but still would never destroy them. I am not much on cards anyway, especially those who send me a big one either religious or not, that never emails me or contact me any other time, either I or DH has worked with or known thru different organizations, especially since we have move so far away.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All the photo cards I've received so far this year are of shots throughout the year.

The thing is, I see these people often. One lives up the road. lol

I don't see photo cards as being personal at all. I seem them as bragging. And I'm guilty of it too because I put pictures inside the cards I sent when my kids were little.

Everybody thinks their kids the cutest (they're not, mine is!) and wants to show them off.

Fine, but put them in a card I can smile at and display in my home.

On a side note, I watched the King Family Christmas tonight on PBS, where they sang real Christmas Carols. We don't see that anymore on TV, except for silly commercials.

It's the little things that I miss at Christmas.

Off to the Hot Topics board! lol

• cynic
    13 years ago

A lot varies on the situation. If it's someone I'm real close to, I like to get a picture, especially of the kids. An occasional picture of a close relative or friend I don't see often can be nice. But, the picture is to augment, IMO and not replace the greeting. It used to be called a greeting card because you'd write something in there. Then laziness set in. Fundraisers started selling Christmas cards with your name printed on them. Easier, huh? That part is fine but I enjoy when someone will write something. Otherwise, a blank card or a picture is next to junk mail. Mass produced, no personalization and no thought in it.

I was a portrait photographer for many years. When people would come and want me to take a portrait of an infant in a humiliating outfit or something I would refuse. A toddler that they plop antlers on is funny, to the parents, but seldom will the subject want to hang that on the wall. If you're going to send pictures, make them something you want to display unless your intention is the "butt on the copy machine" to be passed around and laughed at. I'd much rather see someone on their vacation than a picture of them planted around a department store Santa trying to look "Chistmasy". You look like fools usually. No, I won't be putting that on my wall or mantle. I toss it and feel sorry for the Santa. When people close to me send, for instance school pictures of the kids (to whom I'm close) I put those up usually. Often I'll frame them. But no, I don't put them up if it's a picture of you around the Christmas tree you set up in July to take it, then put a bunch of fake presents under there, and I don't care for Christmas backgrounds from studios either.

I'm not against the "Christmas letter" if it's telling what you're doing and not bragging about all the awards the kids got, the spouses' numerous raises and the picture of the new SUV in the driveway. Even with that, a line or two to personalize is more in the spirit of the event AFAIC.

I like to laugh so I like humorous cards. But I like a nice scenery shot too and as long as it's not preaching, a religious card is great too. But the card itself is a small part of it.

All too often, the pictures are to satisfy an ego of the sender, not benefit the recipient. Some people get off showing pictures of themselves. And some, well, would be better off being a little more modest! LOL

I don't send cards anymore for several reasons. I don't like the obligation that comes with some of it too. I send someone a card, then they feel obligated to send me one which they didn't intend to send or they forgot. Not necessary. Then they feel obligated to send a printed card with nothing in it for years after. I don't save cards unless they're something special. There's never been a photo card received that I've saved.

I used to put the cards up as decoration but now I leave them out if someone wants to see them. That used to be a big deal in the family. Although with some of the family it was a bit of a competition. Who got the most cards, who got cards with more writing than others, etc.

Although I will say I do like it when people send cards with green in them... :) Pictures of dead presidents can be very Christmasy!

• Vickey__MN
    13 years ago

Put me in the I LOVE PHOTO CARDS. DOon't send them, never think to until I start to get them, but I love them, often don't take them down until the next year!! THe other ones, I take down after Christmas.

Vickey-MN

• Cherryfizz
    13 years ago

I love the photo cards and do get them from one person. I wish my nieces would start making them and sending them so I could have pictures of my great niece and nephews on my fridge too. The kids pictures make me smile.

I do like "old fashioned" greeting cards too which is what I send out. I wouldn't even know how to make a photo card. I have one cousin that sends out cd's at Christmas with the old hymn like carols on them. I love those too.

I have every card that I have ever received since the day I was born. It is nice to go back and look at them and see the signatures of loved ones long gone. I always teased my nieces that when they find the boxes of cards in my trunk after I am gone they will show that their Auntie Anne was loved. They only know me as being alone not as a child or teenager that was surrounded by loving Aunts and Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents and Great Grandparents, God Parents, Parents, lots of friends and boyfriends and siblings. My saved greeting cards show the stages of my life, the good times and the sad times. I should be in a Hallmark commercial LOLOL

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

I get upset when:
    1. I get a "holiday" card with NO acknowledgment that it is CHRIST'S coming we are celebrating.
    2. I get a card signed, no note, no nothing. HUGE waste of $$
    IMHO: 1.Pictures are GREAT!! So much more "worth" the effort than a mass produced greeting card!!
    2. Forget the card companies, take the time to write a letter, telling people you are alive and well. If time dictates a one size fits all type letter DO THAT don't waste the trees, time, $$ on "greeting" cards!! Other wise all you are doing is supporting the post office and card companies. Your "card" doesn't get read..people look for the message from YOU. The only "good" that comes out of the greeting cards I get is I cut them up and use them for To/From tags next year.
    If the worth of your cards is in THE CARDS, I suggest you get a job in a Mall, card shop, you can get your fill AND appreciate the extra effort so many went to put picture cards together for you. I agree it is too bad the expense, facebook, tweeting and busy-ness of our lives is KILLING Christmas mail.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cynic, loved your whole post!

It's not that I hate the photo cards, but they're ALL I have except two greeting cards! lol

What's funny is this is a topic I can only talk to "strangers" about because everyone I know sends photo cards and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

I feel like starting a "Save the Christmas Card Club!." :)

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Me too,why cant they send photo with a card?

• secsteve
    13 years ago

I'm with you Cynic. I absolutely hate getting just the photo card with no signature, no Merry Christmas, Happy holidays or anything.

I also personalize my envelopes with different graphics before I send the cards out.

I do enclose a typewritten letter to those people who only hear from me at Christmas and I make each one as individualized as I can. Reason I do this is many years ago a close cousin asked if I could type my letter as it was hard to read my handwriting. Bless her for telling me that as I'm sure more than one person felt that way. My letters aren't those month by month things, but along the lines of "here's the interesting things that happened this year" and news of other family members. Some are long and some are very short. Whenever possible I try to write a few lines in those that only need a few short remarks.

I love going out the day after Christmas to buy the cards for next year. I'm big on those with some type of sentiment in them.

I display all the cards I receive on a card clothes line I got from Woolworths years ago with my mother. Nice way to decorate the family room.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

We get only one photo card, from my nephew, and being we would never get to see his family, it is nice to see his girls growing up. I just wish they would write something personal on the back or on a note. which is another pet peeve of mine, people who just sign (or even worse) have their names printed on the card, and no personal greeting. I write a note in everyone of the cards I send out.

• alisande
    13 years ago

I'm sorry this is a big deal to you. Even though I love sending and receiving Christmas cards, even though I put a lot of thought into my annual Christmas letter, and enclose a collage of photos from the previous year, I would hope that if the whole tradition died out I wouldn't take it too much to heart. Greeting cards--even Christmas cards--are just pieces of paper after all.

So I guess my advice is to continue to enjoy sending the kinds of cards that you like, and try to be tolerant of individual differences when it comes to the cards you receive. They were all sent with the best of intentions.

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Honest, I haven't sent a single card out. Quit in 2008, since I just didn't get in the mood for Christmas. I hated the house, the town, the move there, and just could not make myself.

Then, last year, I just didn't get around to it.

Now, this year, just what the heck should I write in the cards? I am getting a divorce? Not the kind of news to spread around at Christmas.

I have the cards. I have thought about sending some, but it is really rather late now.

Maybe I will write some today.

This is the first day in a LONG time that I don't have to be someplace, or do something. I do have the time.

Cards I got so far, just two. One from my friend where I am the "bonus Omi (granny)", and one from my daughter. Both are picture cards. Both feature the kids.

I love them.

Used to decorate with Christmas cards too, but...

Moni

• suzieque
    13 years ago

I'm happy to get cards, photo or not, because it means that someone was thinking of me. However, those with just a signature or "Love, So-and-so" don't garner the same feeling as those with a note written with it, regardless of length. "Suzieque, I appreciate our friendship", for example. Or "Suzieque, I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas". Sometimes notes are slightly longer.

Otherwise, it sees that it was just an assembly line of cards with no personal thought. However, I am not going to say I don't want cards from those people. And I always write something. More for some, less for others, but something.

Suzieque

• sheesh
    13 years ago

This thread is a hoot! Sure is a lot of Christmas or Holiday Spirit here! Times change. Hallmark and merchants have been cashing in for a long time, and I've participated fully in rewarding them for their trouble.

This entire season is nothing but crass commercialism that has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's birth. Winter was CHOSEN as the time to celebrate Christ's birth by the Catholic Church as a means of getting pagans to church in the middle of winter to convert them to Catholicism. If you truly want to celebrate Christ's birth, I suggest you go to church and skip any gift buying/card sending at all. That is the real tradition; the "tradition" of card-sending/gift giving we are familiar with is certainly not ancient or religious, it's commercial.

I love getting cards, photos, letters, etc. The senders took a few minutes to think of me and I appreciate it, even if they only sign their names to a store-boughten card, whatever type it is. As for decorating with cards - heck NO! To me, it looks like you're bragging about all the cards you got!

So....Have I offended all of you? Probably, but that's another amazing thing about forums; there is usually only one valid opinion in a thread!

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Happy Hannukah! Happy New Year!

• chisue
    13 years ago

sherrmann -- Are we related? LOL I agree *completely*!

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I don't mind the photo cards though it kind of bothers me when there is absolutely nothing hand written on either the card or the envelope. It makes me wonder if the person even knows they sent me something - or if it was all mass generated by their computer without their knowledge. I generally like getting a photo or a letter since it tells me more about the person or family than a regular card - though some letters can be pretty obnoxious. I get a mix of both regular cards and photo cards though more photos.

• Tally
    13 years ago

I think cards are going the way of most of the US Mail. They were a great way to keep in touch with friends and family before the internet. Now people stay in touch electronically and I think cards in general are suffering.

I don't mind photo cards - I enjoy seeing kids grow up. Good grief - if someone thought enough of you to send anything you should accept it gracefully.

December 25 is actually a pagan holiday - google it.

• Tally
    13 years ago

I should add that I was unclear about December 25 - it's a symbol, not a hard and fast birthday, so don't get so hung up on your expectations of the rituals that that you forget the spirit of the day. Rejoice and give thanks to whatever spirituality you embrace. Snow covered cards are such a small thing to fret about.

"December 25 was a significant date for various early cultures. The ancient Babylonians believed the son of the queen of heaven was born on December 25. The Egyptians celebrated the birth of the son of the fertility goddess Isis on the same date, while ancient Arabs contended that the moon was born on December 24.

The Romans celebrated Saturnalia, a feast named for Saturn, god of agriculture, on December 21, the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere. They believed the shortest day of the year was the birthday of the sun. The Roman emperor Constantine was a member of the sun-cult before converting to Christianity in 312.

Some scholars suspect that Christians chose to celebrate Christ's birth on December 25 to make it easier to convert the pagan tribes. Referring to Jesus as the "light of the world" also fit with existing pagan beliefs about the birth of the sun. The ancient "return of the sun" philosophy had been replaced by the "coming of the son" message of Christianity."

• nanny98
    13 years ago

Now that my Christmas Cards are done, I would like to add that: having spent 24 years in the USMC...another 20+ helping my husband serve all over the State of California, I truly love hearing from the trail of people we have known and had such fleeting but sincere friendships with. Once a year (some years I opt out tho!) seems like the very least that we can do to to re-kindle our memories and Thanks for those shared times that most likely were very important at the time. There is no other time of the year when we are (mostly) all thinking about this SEASON OF HOLIDAY SPIRIT, the spirit of sharing, giving and reaching out to one another. JMHO Nanny

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

In essense I agree with you, tally, but the underlying current here seems to be the loss of personalization.

Most of us grasp the concept of times changing; things are not what they were, what we thought they were or should be. As for the treatise on calendar juggling to suit a purpose... yes, see also Halloween (All Hallows in preparation for All Souls on Nov. 1) and Easter - really the most significant observance in the Christan calendar; eclipsing Christmas. And it was indeed a pagan world before Christianity came along and put its spin on things.

The ancients rejoiced in the return of the sun, a new planting season, a harvest, the birth of a god. What exactly are we doing that's so different from the ancients?

I like sending cards, I like getting cards and even if no one else does, I will continue to write personal notes. However, I don't plan on doing anything more with those I get than smiling and putting them in a basket so I can check addresses later and do any necessary address book updates and make note of any milestones in lives.

Well, I have to get my tree up. The Germanic pagans held the belief that evergreens dispelled evil. Mine's artificial and doesn't dispel anything - it's just pretty.

• susan_on
    13 years ago

I guess I probably prefer traditional cards, but I like all cards. I love getting photos and I love getting notes in cards, with yearly updates. It never seems like bragging to me when people write about their kids academic or sports accomplishments, I love to hear about all that stuff. Mostly, I am very glad that they are thinking of me at all :)

• patti43
    13 years ago

I love every kind of Christmas card. It means the sender was thinking of me fondly enough to let me know they're thinking about me.

I especially enjoy the pictures. I had a dear friend in Washington state. Our husbands had served in the Army together and we were young and quite poor. When they got back to the states they ran a morning paper route. Later he started his own business and became very successful and very, very wealthy. One Christmas she sent me pictures of their new home. It was gorgeous and I couldn't have been happier for them. That wasn't bragging--that was sharing because she knew I'd always cheered them on even when things weren't so good.

I suggest to anyone offended by whatever means of communication are sent to them at Christmas to get in touch with the offenders and tell them to take you off their card list.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I tape all the cards I get around the inside frame of my big wooden front door. I consider it part of my "decorating." At the end of the season, I throw out most of the cards. But I save ALL the photo cards. I have quite a collection of them. My cousin always sends a photo of her Grandson, he's a blond cutie, now 6 years old. I was thinking of taping his photos together and putting them in a picture frame, and then sending it to her.

• Tally
    13 years ago

the underlying current here seems to be the loss of personalization

Perhaps I misunderstood the original poster. I thought she was complaining that people were sending out photos to brag about their children instead of choosing something more pious and suited to the "Christian" Christmas season.

Slightly off topic - I find the orgins of the Christian holidays fascintating, and it always surprises me that many Christians don't understand them.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

During the post-WWII 1950's, it was very popular to send black-&-white family photo cards;
    people had family portraits done in a studio printed on heavy white or cream-colored card stock.

I always thought it was nice.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

Maybe you (generic) just can't separate out the different ways people view the holidays and its traditions - or why what was thought of as traditional but is no more is troublesome. Just from reading the responses here, there's a wide range of opinions... none of which is more valid than another.

I don't think people are bragging in sending photos any more than they're unChristian for sending a nonreligious card. As for understanding the origins of the Christian holidays, I know a lot of professed Christians who don't understand much about their religion at all in modern times.

Piety might be one thing, but it goes hand in hand with Santa Claus. Not a bad thing unless you've got Santa and Frosty kneeling at the manger.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tally, "lack of personalization" is only part of what photocards are about. They don't acknolwedge Christ, they're sent just so we can look at their pictures. AGAIN..I don't mind them if I don't see the person/family often.

Arcy, you don't think the photocards are "mass produced?" Sure they are, just like Christmas cards, but in a smaller number. At least with Christmas cards we at least get a hand written signature along with a nice, printed message inside acknowledging what the Sender feels. Photocards are only click, print, lick the envelope. Done.

Allisande, I beg to differ that cards are "just paper." Like I said, they send a sweet message about Christmas, a message that represents how the Sender feels. If I don't like the printed message inside THE most beautiful card ever, I won't send it.

Suzie, as I said in the above paragraph, the "personal thought" IS the message printed inside the cards.

Duluth, I ususally go with the flow and grasp that times are changing, but not with this particular tradition. Just like I don't grasp the change of "Happy Holidays" over "Merry Christmas." Some things need to be left alone.

I have my father's old high school graduation cards from around 1940, and to think cards are almost extinct just baffles me. I cannot grasp it! Letter writing yes, because of the Internet, but not cards.

One last thing, receiving the old-fashioned cards DO contribute to the spirit of the holidays for me. Just like a nice piece of fudge, going to Church, singing Carols,etc. It's all connected.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

my parents always sent a pix of me and i'm 64, so i guess they were ahead of their time...no one thought less and mother usually wrote a short note in the card...in fact, people asked when the latest pix was coming...

besides i've recieved cards that wern't hand signed and to top that off were lable addressed...

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'm happy to receive machine-addressed cards (busy sender? sender with arthritis? sender who thought enough of me to send a greeting anyway!).

& I'd be grateful beyond belief to receive photo cards from my Aunt Bea (who is gone),
    glittery Santas from my Aunt Tyra (who is gone),
    religious cards from my Aunt Hazel (who is gone)...

• alisande
    13 years ago

Oakleyok, please note that I also said cards are sent with the best of intentions. And I mentioned that I put a lot of thought (and time and money, too) into sending many of them every year. I love to do it, and I love all the cards I get back. I don't decorate with them; they're all presently sitting in a gift bag. But I'll read them again after the holidays, before I dispose of them. I'll save some of the photo cards. I guess I should add that my cards don't acknowledge Christ, as Christmas is not a religious holiday for me.

Sylvia, my mother was an artist and my father a photographer. In the 1940s they created wonderful Christmas cards combining her art with his photography. They were in black & white, and printed on photo paper.

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

While I enjoy getting a photo in my Christmas card...(always like to see how kids are growing and adults are changing each year) I really don't like the Photo cards.

I got one this year...It was a picture that was taken last summer at our nephew's wedding. It didn't have anything to do with Christmas. Very disappointing.

I usually trim off the wording and stick it in with my pictures.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Golly gee whiz, it's just too darn bad that we don't all comply with one point of view!

I wish you all HAPPY HOLIDAYS, because for those of us who are not Christian, but who are Jewish, atheist, or whatever else, it is still a time to spend money on things we don't really need to prove that we "Care" about each other and then stick the stuff we get in drawers or return them to the store, to reconnect with each other through cards, photos, notes and letters and then do silly things with them, like decorate or throw them away or get angry that it isn't the kind of card we wanted!

Cheer up, folks! Happy Holidays!

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I do agree with a lot of the sentiment about cards, photo or otherwise, that the sender barely touches. I really look forward to handwriting out our cards and personalizing each one of them. And I love getting that type back as well. I love knowing that the sender actually took a few moments and thought about me, and cared enough to tell me so.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Cynic great post! Especially the part about the set up photos with the silly backdrops or props. (I feel the same way about baby pics BTW). Give me people who look like themselves any day.

I don't send Christmas cards any longer so we only get a few.
    The photo cards are printed on such cheap stock that they tear while being removed from the envelope.

I do save and enjoy the nice old fashioned cards I get. The rest hit the shredder.

Worst Xmas card award goes to a relative of DH. He prints out a mass sermon. Just like those long winded mass Xmas letters that some people send out only it's s a sermon. At the end there is a line or 2 about what he is doing and how the sermon he wrote applies to him. LOL If he were a man of the cloth I "might" understand but basically he's what I would call a fanatic. If I want to hear a sermon I'll go to church thank you. We LOL, shake our heads and SHRED!

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I love getting photo cards. It is fun to see how much the kids or grands have grown. So far I have only received 2 photo cards. One card is from a friend with a picture of she and DH and their 6 grands. The other from that couple's DS and DIL with a picture of their 2 girls who are in the other picture also. My friends sent a typed one page letter that was sent to everyone. I am just happy to hear from people and I don't care if it is a card or picture, as long as it has a note with it.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

I received another photo card today and I really like it. It is our young neighbor's two small children in front of this year's Christmas tree. The kids are so cute and laughing. Very nice verse on the card too. I was happy to get it too.

Sue

• alisande
    13 years ago

I just opened a gorgeous photo card: Two friends of mine pictured in front of FAO Schwarz (not a phony background) with all 12 of their young grandchildren. What fun!

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

I am a card sender... and most all of my cards sent are decidedly Christian in nature.. after all iit is CHRISTmas that we are celebrating...

I love to receive photo cards especially from folks that I don't get to see often and I love to see how they have changed over the years... But I love the Christian themed cards best... and most all of them do have a small note at least and some have virtual dissertations included... which of course I love..

This year we did cut back on sending... and did only about 150 cards.. we used to do twice that many, but at our age, many folks no longer have an address to where the post office can deliver... But we have been sending Christmas card most of my life and I don't see us quiting now..

Merry Christmas everyone..

Carolyn