SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

ginny12
18 years ago

Merry Christmas to everyone on the New England forum, and the happiest of holidays to all! It is great fun and a wonderful learning experience to share gardening joys and anguish, questions and tips with everyone here. This is a great community of garden-lovers and I wish the very best to all of you at Christmas and throughout the new year!

Comments (26)

• wendeyzee
    18 years ago

Merry christmas and a Beautiful Bountiful 2006 everyone!!
    Wendey

• AdamM321
    18 years ago

I agree Ginny, what would we all do without gardenweb! Merry Christmas Ginny and Wendey and everyone on the New England forum. Hope Santa is good to all of you!

:-)
    adam

• Related Discussions

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Garden Buds

Q

Comments (7)
    Merry Christmas Renee, and all the best in the new year! May all your roses (and Lilies, Iris, etc.) bloom their heads off, your hoses behave themselves, and only the good bugs visit your plants. :-)
    ...See More

Merry Christmas and happy holidays

Q

Comments (3)
    "Over?" That depends, Mike. Philosophically, one can say Christmas isn't over until one allows it to be. For those of a Catholic persuasion, Christmas does not end until Epiphany. For the Orthodox, Christmas hasn't even come yet. (Epiphany is Christmas day for them if I am recalling correctly.) This post was edited by paul_ on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 14:33
    ...See More

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Q

Comments (11)
    Hope everyone had a safe and Merry Christmas. DH said the best Christmas present he could be given was making it home alive late Christmas Eve. He was really afraid he would never see Texas and home again. Will update on what all happened in next day or so. Has anyone heard from Janis, or George and Leone? Lilo, that cat is just so cute!
    ...See More

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays

Q

Comments (15)
    Merry Christmas to you all! We had a warm Christmas here as well. My family members were able to gather outdoors even! This was such a nice relief since I had almost 30 guests over for dinner last night and every inch of my house was packed! Today it is 50F/10C here and should climb to 63F/17C, however all the warm days are coming to an end. Looks like flash flooding will begin today and the temps will begin to drop and old mother winter will be rearing her head finally, freezing and below freezing temps next week. Hope you all have a happy and safe New Year! Thank you all for your friendship, your advice, and most of all your kindness and understanding. Tracy
    ...See More
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or whatever works for you! Such a great bunch of gardening enthusiasts, I'd never find so many people who share my passion for gardening anywhere else but here on the web.

Jo

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Merry Christmas all! What a wonderful day it was, too! We had a very relaxed holiday (we did all our tavelling last week) with just our 2 nearly-grown sons here - took the dog for a long walk and enjoyed the mild weather.

I'm sure looking forward to spring, but the great people on the NE forum will certainly make it easier to get through winter.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

You guys are so right! This place is great! It's wonderful to have a place to share, commiserate, and learn with such a great group of gardening friends. Thanks to all for another enjoyable year!

Happy Holidays to all!
    :)
    Dee

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Happy Holidays to everyone on the New England forum! Yes, Gardenweb is the one place you can go for garden talk where eyes don't glaze over and if they did you wouldn't know it anyway.

I'm looking forward to sharing in the beauty and creativity and learning more from all of you in the upcoming season.

It's raining right now and I could have sworn I just heard thunder-must be Christmas in New England.

Sue

• Cady
    18 years ago

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanza and all other meaningful winter celebrations.

The weather is nothing less than wacky. The White Christmas we should have had, was two weeks ago, and now we have "late March" showers.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    18 years ago

I celebrate the 12 days of Christmas, so as far as I'm concerned, the holidays just started here. Come to think of it, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa are multi-day feasts too. If we drag it out long enough, maybe it will snow? Before Epiphany?

So far the only things wafting though the air have been rain drops and winter moths. A pestilence of winter moths on Christmas Eve.

Anyway, all the best wishes to everyone during the dark times. Spring WILL come.

Claire

• WendyB 5A/MA
    18 years ago

ditto and a Happy New Year to all!

My hard packed frozen/slush/ice is only 75% gone. Keep those showers coming!!! :-) If it freezes as is, I'll be slipping and sliding for the rest of winter!

Well, I already spent my barnes and noble gift card on gardening books. B&N greeted me with a members-only early bird sale with my day after Christmas morning coffee!! Gotta love it!

Now the garden catalogs should start pouring in the mail the next couple of weeks

• terryboc
    18 years ago

Merry Christmas to all! I have those lovely B&N gift cards as well to spend on gardening books. I seem to remember seeing a pricey book on Japanese maples that I'd love to have. It is pouring here, with sleet and lightening. I feel bad for the little chickadee on the birdfeeder. At least there is a slight overhang on the one he is on.

I truely am thankful of all of the friends I have made here, both on line and in person via the swaps and I wish for all of you a very joyous and green new year.

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

Dear Gardeners,

We enjoyed our usual disorganized Christmas. The house was full of messes, christmas cookies, and young people, thanks to my daughters.

I am grateful for the weather, As the snow has melted, I see two rakes that got left out, and I think the clay pots may not be frozen to the ground. If we get them in today, perhaps they will be saved from breakage after all.

Never did get those expensive annual bulbs out of the ground, and three little yews are sitting in their pots on the patio. I'm not worried about them, however. I suspect they'll carry on like the hostas that survived winter bare rooted a couple of years ago.

Forgiving, workhorse plants have a special place in plant heaven.

No sugarplums dancing in our heads, just plant catalogues and gardening books!

Warmly,
    Marie

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Merry Christmas and happy holidays Ginny and all fellow Gardenwebbers! It has been fun sharing ideas here at Gardenweb. Did anyone get any neat gardening related gifts? I got an amaryillis bulb and a Demadco 'Angel of the Gardener' figurine.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I celebrate all twelve days of Christmas and this is only the third!! Yes, I got several amaryllis bulbs and a bunch of paper-whites, and a couple of books about Japanese gardens--not my particular interest but they are full of gorgeous photos so I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

I am going to try a few amaryllis in water as an experiment. Bought some pretty but cheap vases at Marshall's to use for this. Will let you know.

• terryboc
    18 years ago

I bought myself Japanese Maples book by JD Vertrees and The Bonsai Workshop with my Barnes and Noble gift cards (also Outwitting Cats to try to get my 2 to stop fighting). That was the only garden related gift that I got. The rest were clothes that I desperatly need after losing 25 pounds. I also got horseback riding lessons. I can't wait to take them! Santa had good ideas this year.

• narcnh
    18 years ago

IÂm back after spending Christmas with my family in New Jersey. It was the usual combination of warm family gathering and lunatic asylum insanity that only my family can create. It was great to see everyone, again, but also great to get home. Today is recharge day.

Instead of gardening books I received several cookbooks, including Paula DeenÂs ÂKitchen Classics and (my fave) Alton BrownÂs ÂIÂm Only Here For The Food. The recipes in PaulaÂs book sound delicious, but I think a steady diet of them would probably kill me. AltonÂs book is quite a tome and reads like one of his shows. It will provide many hours of entertaining reading, in addition to some great recipes. Today went for a walk around the cornfields with Cord, The Wonder Chow to start burning off some of that ÂChristmas Cheer I consumed. All the rain put a thick crust on the snow that ALMOST held him up. It was quite a workout for Cord, but he still managed to catch up and beat me back to the barn, where he turned and gave me that big smile of his that said, "Beat ya, Dad!" Now, of course, heÂs passed out cold.

I think this year I will probably go berserk in ordering from Bluestone Perennials. I really like their catalog, because it has good descriptions and it is easy to see when things bloom. IÂve also had pretty good luck with their plants. Now, itÂs just a matter of compiling lists, adding, subtracting and multiplying, all in anticipation of that first big order.

As I said earlier, Happy Chriskkahzaa, everyone, and may you all have a happy, healthy and safe New Year.

Narcnh

p.s. HereÂs a pic of the house with what I hope is a Âtypical New England Christmas look. First time I've tried candles in the windows.

• Cady
    18 years ago

narcnh,
    The house looks lovely with the candles and snow.

I got books for everyone else, and of course had to buy some for myself while shopping! Came home with Ann Lovejoy's gem on organic landscape design, and Liz Primeau's photo-rich book on front door gardens to replace lawn. It's an entertaining read, and instructive as well.

• mayalena
    18 years ago

Hello, all.
    I too send greetings to all of you, and thanks for your nice advice and friendship over the last several months. We are just back from visiting family in No California, where it is raining like crazy, everything is green...and some daylilies were in bloom in my SIL's garden....
    At least we get a break from pulling the weeds!
    Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy 2006.
    Carolyn

• ego45
    18 years ago

Would this qualify for the Christmas/New Year look?

However picture was taken in MARCH of 2004.
    Well, it's typical as it could be in New England with our late March snowstorms.

• narcnh
    18 years ago

How's this?

• Cady
    18 years ago

LOL
    narch, the miracle of PhotoShop is surpassed only by the magic of the actual holiday season.

• netgardenweb
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas to you!

{{gwi:65094}} {{gwi:65095}}

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And to you. Very lovely, both of them.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

May your Holidays be filled with joy and contentment, and may Spring come just as soon as we're ready for it.

Claire

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a picture, Claire. Wish I were standing on your deck with a glass of glogg right now. Some day I'll get a digital camera....

• ellen_s
    16 years ago

Happy Holidays everybody! Hope your stockings are full of gardening gadgets and seed packets! My wishlist includes Michael Dirr's new book on Viburnums...fingers crossed that anybody even looked at my wishlist :-)
    The Bluestone catalog and a few seed catalogs are already here so I am already thinking about next year's bounty!!

Here's a cute pic of my Connemara/Morgan pony Sneaks, during last week's snow.
    {{gwi:769713}}

• tomakers
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!