SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardendoll

Call me frugal and fed up with charges

gardendoll
13 years ago

Every year we exchange xmas gifts with our friends in Scotland. We've toned it down a lot and focus more on the girls now. However our friends always want to send gifts but we are moving more to gift cards. This year I though this is getting ridiculous because our friends right now are having a tough time and the future is uncertain for one of them not getting downsized out of her job in the new year. She still wants to use her Visa card to order a gift card for us. I asked what they would like and they would appreciate a gift certificate for a hotel in the area where they live for their anniversary next summer.

What about the extra charges for Visa? This is absolutely nuts to me and not cost effective at all. So I suggested why don't we stop this between us? Agree on an xmas amount and instead just put the cash into an envelope on the tree with the names of who its from. Because really that's all we are doing.

Does this sound reasonable to you? In the end it is the same thing.

To us we can put the envelope aside with the cash for a lovely meal out in the New Year.

We are cash strapped to after our home build disaster and having to build now with our life's savings. This whole xmas buying spree to me is waaaay out of hand. Neither of us can afford giving money to Visa and the extra charges for the gift voucher delivery.

What do you think? Have I stepped out of bounds on this one?

Cheers,

Peggy

Comments (18)