SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

slowly getting there: Chrismas future and past

sheilajoyce_gw
10 years ago

This morning, I packed the two Christmas presents I must mail. That is out of the way. Must address the few cards we send.

The fake tree is in the living room and the furniture rearranged to accommodate it. It's stored with the lights on, but now I must decorate it. DH brought all the boxes downstairs.

Slowly will bring downstairs the table top and mantle decorations.

Then I have to finish the gift shopping. Lots of cash gifts this year toward projects and big purchases. That makes it easy.

Still not back to normal since being rear ended 7 weeks ago. I ache after being on my feet for just a few minutes. So I take lots of breaks. The adult kids will have to chip in to make the Christmas dinner happen this year as they did for Thanksgiving.

We will have 10 around the table, with two little grandsons. The older one celebrates his 7th birthday Christmas Day, but this year we will try celebrating the birthday on the 24th and see how we like that arrangement.

We started the tradition of opening stockings on the evening of the 24th after baths when our kids were tiny. I usually shopped for stocking stuffers all year, trying to find cute, interesting and inexpensive toys. But when we opened their stockings on Christmas morning, I learned that they played with the items only until the tree gifts were opened, and ignored them after that. I had spent too much time and money to make their stockings special, so from then on, we opened stockings before bed on the 24th. I am pleasantly surprised to hear my kids talk about those evenings as one of their favorite family times. Everyone bathed and in pjs, Christmas music playing, and sitting in the formal living room (which we rarely did) to open and play with stocking gifts.

One of my favorite stocking gifts I still remember over 30 years later was a find of tiny glow in the dark dinosaurs about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. As it turns out, that is my older son's favorite stocking gift ever. This was an era when dinosaur books and toys were very hard to find.

So now my daughter also gives her sons their stockings after dinner on Christmas Eve too.

We were never sticklers with all the Santa myth, and it did not seem to conflict with their beliefs, which is perfect.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz