SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoni

How about no gifts at Christmas get togethers?

Toni S
16 years ago

That is what I'm just about ready to tell my inlaws (outlaws).

We get together to do nothing different than what we always do when we get together. All of us live only a few miles away from each other and when ever we do get together, the women do everything, the guys do nothing and it seems to be the most boring time the whole season. I can't suggest singing, volunteering, games, or even for the guys to act like its their holiday too ,,well ,, just because they are stuck in their usual mode of non commitment. The Sister in laws who of course have the duty to buy all gifts,, act like buying a gift for the kids was like learning rocket science. To make things worse, one sil buys them what she wants, even when I make suggestions. Yes, a gift is a gift but this is truly unnecessary

When the kids do receive a thoughtful gift, there is still that bagful of dust collectors to bring home.

We used to pull a name out of a hat for an ADULT and buy them a gift but once again I was the only one who found the adventure in figuring out what might be their gift. So this year MIL said we we're doing a grab bag instead. I told her that dh and I decided stay out of that since it basically has no meaning behind the gift. She agreed (did hell freeze over?) that's fine,,, I will give more to charity instead.

Getting to the NO gifts, Now that my kids are older (10, 12 & 16) I'm thinking that it would be nice if the inlaws would give a small amount of cash to the charity each child chooses. Aunts and Uncles can easily donate online and WALA their gift giving problems are over! Sadly, it may take the kids a bit of adjustment but they are good kids that see the value of sharing. Before their (not so grand) grandfather stopped sending gifts or cash, my kids would share %100 of their 'bounty' with a needy family. (I'm guessing the grandfather caught wind of this trend and no longer sends gifts, or very seldom at most) Whatever!

I dislike the idea of someone giving gifts to my family if it becomes a chore, a yearly mission to get over as fast as possible. If they don't take the time to know my kids well enough or to even talk to them about what they like, WHAT IS THE POINT OF DOING IT AT ALL? Really, what is the point?

Just for the few who think kids need huge amounts of toys and gifts, don't fret, they will have their share of special gifts, thats the only reason I'll go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I'm really thinking hard about the religious part of Christmas and how to make it the #1 reason for the season.

Comments (10)