SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

How to dispose of unwanted Christmas gifts?

vacuumfreak
13 years ago

Hi everyone! People who know me, know not to get me anything for the kitchen. I am too picky a cook to be OK with other people's choices, kitchen items are just too personal! However, because people know I cook, they think it's OK to get me kitchen stuff.... and it's sweet and and I'm grateful, but there's just some stuff I won't use!

Two things for example:

A few years ago, when Linnens and Things was closing, a dear gal pal bought me an Oxo silicone oven mitt. I do not like silicone ANYTHING, not muffin tins, not silicone pot holders, not even silicone l*b# (LOL, Jessy)... It is a nice mitt, but too small for my hands! I've kept it for these few years to see if she would ask if I've used it or something and she hasn't mentioned it, so I think it's safe to get rid of! I just discovered while I was getting a picture for this post that it is magnetic! I thought, NO WAY! I've had this thing for all these years and didn't even know that.... so of course I dug it out of the drawer and threw it at the 'fridge.... and it stuck! :o)

This year, a person I used to be close with (not anymore because every time we talk it's about how his life sucks because he can't find work (he's not even looking) and his mom died two years ago, he made her out to be a saint and worshiped her and now his whole life is about the fact that his mom is dead.... seriously.... I say hello, listen to him cry for 3 hours and good-bye, that's it, it's getting old LOL!) gave me a Farberware Mandoline.... the kind you squeeze to make it work. I guess it was a nice thought, but I already have a box grater, a fabulous vintage food processor, and a real Oxo mandoline, which is much easier to use and more versatile than this silly contraption... plus the real one is adjustable, easier to clean, and doesn't require the food to be cut up into microscopic bits to fit in a spring loaded hopper... seriously, this thing looks like some sort of medieval torture device! I don't like squeeze things anyway.... I threw my squeeze sifter away in favor of a hand crank kind, and I never use my Pampered Chef garlic press (also given to me by the gal friend who have the mitt) because I have a twist kind that is better. I certainly don't have room for another single function device in my small apartment, it's still in the back seat of the car! Of course they are both brand new and have never been used.... the pot holder still has the tag and the mandoline is still in the box.

So, what should I do? Throw it away? If my friend comes over and asks where it is, I will tell him I dropped it LOL He won't be coming over because I'm tapering him out of my life, therefore I won't feel "guilty" about getting rid of it. It was a nice thought and I'm not an ingrate, but I don't need it! I can't imagine a seasoned cook liking this thing for the reasons I mentioned above, but if any of you want either of these things send me your address.... I will send them to you, you don't even have to worry about paying shipping..... I'd rather them get some use than be in a landfill somewhere :o)

Comments (19)