SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

cherryfizz, Windsor memories

amicus
16 years ago

cherryfizz, my computer was down for a few days and I thought you probably wouldn't check back on the 6 degrees of separation thread by now. If you were at St. Clair College around 1975, we probably passed in the halls, although I was taking Legal Office Administration. I went to Assumption High School, but I think one of my sister's boyfriends went to Riverside.

I roller skated all the time, but it was at Adie Knox rec. center on Wyandotte, I think I only went to Wheels once or twice. I did also work after school as a cashier at the Dominion store at Crawford and Wyandotte, but only for a few months, so I can't remember any names. I didn't go drinking much in Windsor because I moved to Toronto when I was 19, but the few I remember were The Riv, Abars, and The Sandhill.

As kids we brought blankets down to the river to watch the Freedom Festival fireworks. After we'd grown up and moved out, my Mom moved into the condo building called Le Goyeau, at Goyeau and Riverside, where we had a great view of the fireworks from her balcony. My siblings and I took our kids to the Freedom Festival fireworks carnival when they were little. Loved going on the Bob-Lo boat to the island for my grade 8 graduation and Cedar Point for my high school orientation trip!

Besides me working after school at Kresgees, Metropolitan, Woolworths and Dominion, my siblings worked part time jobs in kitchens of Hotel Dieu & Grace hospitals, waitress at Cedar Restaurant, Bata Shoes downtown, ushers at Palace theatre downtown and Devonshire, and as a DJ at C.J.O.M. radio station to name a few.

My Uncle Ron was the Director of Education for Windsor/Essex for some years. I have many cousins who lived scattered throughout Windsor, so I don't know if any may have lived near you. Their last names before marriage were Tingle, Reddam, Hodgins, Jane, and Frenette. My siblings who still live in Windsor worked as a police officer, customs officer at bridge and tunnel, Kumon instructor/owner, and lawyer/engineer.

I never booked any trips from a travel agency because I was only 19 when I moved to Toronto for my first job after graduating college. But I bet at some point in our youth, we passed each other (most likely at St. Clair in the hallways or in its Mapletree Pub where I worked), more than once!

Comments (18)