SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Old Rollerskates

Cherryfizz
12 years ago

One day when I came home from school when I was in Grade 8 my brother Ray was standing at the curb in front of our house with his friends and he handed me a pair of brand new roller skates for no reason - well maybe peer pressure. We never really got along so it was a huge surprise that he did something so nice for me. I would go roller skating and rent skates at the arena since I was a kid and being a young teenager it was cool to have your own skates.

I rollerskated at Riverside Arena all the time with my friends until we were in our 20's and until they made the cement floor a year round ice pad. We met our first loves there, had crushes, breakups, met life long friends. Our lives revolved around rollerskating in that arena. Many of our friends stopped skating because we had to go across town to Wheels which had a blue vinyl floor which none of us liked. We were used to skating on shiny cement. Some of did go to Wheels and skated on "adult" nights. I have such wonderful memories of skating and skated using those same roller skates my brother gave me until I was in my late 30's and went once or twice when I was 40. I stopped skating because I was afraid if I fell I would rebreak my knee or another bone. In all the time I skated I probably fell three times when I was a teenager.

I really missed not being able to rollerskate and don't think there is anywhere in Windsor to skate anymore. My friends and I do talk about attempting it again even if on a community trail. LOL I doubt it though LOL

I was on a Facebook group site for Windsor and a girl I went to school with mentioned she was looking for a pair of white boot skates to use on a cover of a book she was writing called The Truth About Rollerskating which is a collection of poems she wrote about rollerskating and growing up in Riverside which once was a town when we were children before Windsor annexed it. We still say we are from Riverside rather than Windsor most of the time.

Our beloved Riverside Arena where we spent most of our childhood was torn down in August and it has left a big hole in our community and in our hearts. Walking by the site which is near to my house is really heartbreaking and shocking to see gone.

Yesterday on a Riverside group site I saw the cover of the book and on it featured one of my beloved roller skates LOL So many memories wrapped up in those skates and they deserve to be famous even if fleeting LOL You can tell it was a well used skate. LOL I wish my friend all the success with her little book.

Anne

Comments (21)