How to get my 85 yr. old mother in my SUV?
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
85 Year Old Mother in CC Debt - Help!
Comments (34)Coyote_Gramma, you may have worked for a counseling service that required for consumers to pay a monthly fee. However, not all organizations required a monthly fee. Years ago, in the early 90's, I have used one of this CCCS organization that showed on my previous replies. I came to know this service through a tip from a creditor collector after she apologized that she couldn't lowered the rate nor the monthly payment anymore. 'Til this day, I wish she knew how wrong she was. By letting me be awared of CCCS, she literally saved my life. I didn't pay a dime for the CCCS service. Their services lasted for over 4 years until all creditors were paid in full. CCCS explained that their non-profit organization was funded by the government. Most companies that takes monthly fees from consumers are individual operated. As for negotiating the rates and payments with the creditors, I tried many times but were unabled to go as low as 0% interest. CCCS, due to who they were, was able to negotiate 12 out of 15 creditors down to 0% interest easily. 2 other creditors agreed to 7% and 8% interest. The only one that would not budged to lower the interest was Sears. However, they agreed to a much lower monthly payment. I doubt that the normal consumer could easily achieve this. This system is better than declaring bankruptcy or even bringing your credit to a lower level. In my case, after all payments were paid in full to the creditors, I closed all those accounts down except for 1. A few years later my credit score reached to normal and later to a higher score enough where I could purchased a car and a house with very low interest rates. I now have 2 credit cards opened and have been maintaining a low to 0 monthly balance for many years. Although, Macey may not need this service, I am posting my experience for those that are in high dept to know that there is hope and that a non-profit organization such as CCCS do exist. It does no harm to check them out....See MorePlease help - Mother of 13yr old boy
Comments (7)Kay.... Going through the teen years can be like the terrible two's but with a much larger child! It can last for years. Don't get discouraged. I have a DS16 and just trying to have, what I consider, a normal conversation with him can sometimes make me want to stick hot pokers in my eyes....or his. It might be a good idea to talk with him at a time that is calm and remind him what the rules are. I have tried to lay down some sentences that I can say to DS16 during a discussion or disagreement that can remind him of the rules....Such as...."Remember who you are speaking to."...."You need to lower your voice."....."Your tone of voice sounds disrespectful to me." and so on. Sometimes he doesn't even know that he is loud or that I think that the way he is saying something in bothering me. All of that being said....do what you can to rule out the things that we all fear as parents of teens....alcohol or drug use, inappropriate internet use, depression, becoming sexually active. I'm sure I have left things out but you get the message. This day and age is tough. I feel for these kids. All the more reason to not let go of your house rules when it comes to respect and safety for the teens. Discussing with him some changes that he might like as he matures is an option. Stress the "As he matures" part. He needs to learn to handle his anger, talk about his feelings and still follow the rules. Each one comes to a calmer place at a different time. Some take a long time. The hard knocks of life can be the only teachers for some kids. Parents lose IQ points big time when their kids hit their teens. I wouldn't rule out getting him into see a counselor if you feel his anger is beyond control. Some kids can't talk to their parents and a third party can really help. It doesn't mean that their is something wrong with him. His brain and his body are on mega drive right now. Watch how he grows in the next few years!....I have heard that every growth spurt, whether it be mental or physical is preceded by an emotional time of turmoil. I think that is true when a child is entering into the just beginning to walk months and the teen years. Just fasten your seat belt. The ride will be bumpy at times. It is a good thing that God gives us these kids as sweet little babies. If we got them as teenagers they would likely mysteriously disappear...or we would. I remember thinking, when my DD20 was a teen and she would be mouthing off to me...."You know child, you are standing way to close with your back to those stairs to be talking to me like that."...Of course I would never push her but a bit of a sense of humor helps!!!...See MoreNeed to get my mother in my truck
Comments (3)Would advise abandoning this idea entirely. Too much risk. Falling-risk on an older person with this body mass is tremendous. Be very careful. Stools and step-ladders, in particular, I would stay away from. If at all possible, suggest renting a mini-van. If your mother is more-or-less "normal" height, I think you'll find the seating surface pretty closely matches her fanny's height while she's standing. All she'll have to do is back up to the seat edge and slide on. The Chrysler versions also have a handle-assist on the door frame so she can help herself and feel more secure....See MoreHow can I help my 2yr old learn to talk?
Comments (3)I think there is a way mothers talk to a child that encourages talking......every time you pick him up say "up"....not I am picking you up now"...as you put his shoes on, say "shoe" not....shall we put your shoes on"....then graduate to "shoe on".....and "shoe off". He sure should be saying more than that by 24 months. Talking baby talk to a 15 month old actually helps them learn to speak correctly......and once he has learned the basics, you are free to say.."Look! There goes a red car!"....but he needs to learn to say "look! Car!" first. I have an inlaw's inlaw's child ( got that???LOL!) who is 2 and says almost nothing....no sounds.....no squeals of delight no giggles. He has been in speech therapy for a couple of months and is now saying things like "down" when prompted.....but is still very quiet! Once I called someone with a baby a few months old.....and she answered the phone in a hoarse voice. I asked if she had a cold, she said it was the first words she had said that day....because, she said, there is no one hre to talk to but the baby. Talk to your baby! They thrive on interaction! Linda C...See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

INSIDE HOUZZWhat Mom Wants for Mother’s Day
You’re right about a nice dinner and time with family. Here’s what else will make Mom happy this weekend
Full Story
LIFEGet the Family to Pitch In: A Mom’s Advice on Chores
Foster teamwork and a sense of ownership about housekeeping to lighten your load and even boost togetherness
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGThe Best Way to Get Your Windows Spotlessly Clean
Learn the pros’ tips and tricks for cleaning windows and getting them streak-free
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESThe Hidden Problems in Old Houses
Before snatching up an old home, get to know what you’re in for by understanding the potential horrors that lurk below the surface
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACES7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Kids’ Room
Turn chaos into calm one step at a time in children’s rooms
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
ARTShow News: Rare Quilts Get Museum Time
See 6 intricate designs from a California exhibition and get tips for building your own quilt collection
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Living Room
A task a day sends messes away. Take a week to get your living room in shape
Full Story
LIFE3 Ways to Get Unstuck — About Organizing, Decorating, Whatever
Break out of the do-nothing rut to accomplish your goals, whether at home or in other parts of your life
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESGet What You Need From the House You Have
6 ways to rethink your house and get that extra living space you need now
Full StorySponsored
sushipup1