SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Why I shop at Walmart (it has nothing to do with greed)

alisande
14 years ago

I'm responding to something that was posted on the earlier thread about Walmart meat, but since this new topic has nothing to do with meat I thought I'd give it its own space.

Cynic wrote (my bolding for emphasis):

I'm not a fan of Walmart as everyone knows, but some of these flat-out silly comments just can't go unanswered.

Walmart is NOT single handedly doing anything. They wouldn't be in business without the millions (billions?) of people BUYING from them. How can that be so hard to understand? It's a simple fact. They're not sneaking around bombing the competition, poisoning their wells or any other things. The other businesses close because people aren't buying from them. And the biggest offenders are small town America. They refuse to support local businesses. They'll spend dollars in gas to drive 50 miles to save pennies. It's the all-American greed. So don't blame Walmart. They're just giving you the option. You don't have to go there. Blame yourself if you go there and you might as well blame every other poster who shops there if you want to blame someone.

I don't blame someone for buying from a place they want to. I may disagree with buying bigbox when you have a local dealer available but it's each person's choice. So please stop this silly myth that Walmart has some sinister attempt to put locks on doors. People do it. Not a store. Sheesh. Simple marketing concepts seem hard to understand at times.

For the ones who try so hard to avoid, how can it be so difficult? Why don't you just say no? Don't go there! Just say "I won't go there" and then follow through if your word is good. But apparently many must sneak into Walmart with their trench coat collars up and dark glasses on, load their carts and go. Or maybe they drive to the next town to do their Walmarting?

And come on... Walmart sneaks into town, drops prices really low, get people addicted and then WHAM raise prices??? Nobody else has raised prices? People really can't switch? Oh come on! If people are that addicted to shopping they need help, not a different store. What is it about this company that causes such kinds of paranoia?

I think I go to Walmart about every 5-7 years on the average. Usually leave disappointed. And I won't shop Scam's Club or Crustco. And yes, I WILL say NO to them and will not buy from them. "Warehouse clubs" are the biggest joke in retail and prove one thing. Whether you like him or despise him, Sammy Walton figured out that if you give people the ILLUSION of saving money, they will pay ANY price. And he cashed in on it. Gotta give him credit for that.

I live in small-town America. According to Cynic, I must be both greedy and stupid to shop at both Walmart and (gasp!) Sam's Club. The above theory assumes that small-town Main Street carries the same merchandise as Walmart for a few cents more. Not in my town.

We had a thriving Main Street before Walmart arrived, and Main Street is still doing just fine. Part of the reason is that Main Street stores sell what Walmart does not (books, health foods, upscale clothing, second-hand clothing, antiques). Some of the original Main Street stores no longer exist, though. The prices they had charged for things like TVs and other electronics were so much higher than Walmart that buying from them would make just as much sense as giving them a cash donation of a few hundred dollars.

One reason I like Walmart is that it has so much under one roof. We're supposed to be conserving energy/saving gas, are we not? I can tell you it conserves my personal energy, as well as gasoline, to take my shopping list to a place where I can buy paint, face cream, sewing supplies, hardware, and underwear all at once.

For a long time, Walmart was the only place we could buy fabric in our town. Now we have a quilt store on Main Street. It's a beautiful shop, and I recently made a non-fabric purchase there, mostly to be supportive of a new business. But the cheapest fabric in the place is $8/yd., which puts it out of my league. I hope the area has enough dedicated (and affluent) quilters to support that kind of quality. I'm not among them, though.

I've belonged to Sam's for years. I'm well aware that not everything in the store is a bargain; you have to be careful. Sam's is about 25 miles from my home, so I only go there when I'm in the mall area for other reasons, or on my way to work. You won't find me loading up a flatbed cart with vast quantities of supplies in bulk, but I'm happy to get organic spring greens much cheaper than I could ever find them elsewhere, ditto avocados, and big bags of the raw nuts I eat a lot of. Of course, I buy other things there as well--but like I said, after putting some thought into it.

We have Walmart haters around here, too. Last year a man I was chatting with at a Christmas party asked where I'd bought the delicious whole-grain bread I brought to the party to accompany my olive tapenade. I said, "I got it at Walmart." He promptly turned on his heel, and stopped speaking to me for the rest of the evening. Fortunately, this wasn't much of a loss.

Comments (59)

• sandy_in_ia
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We are in a very small town too...we have 2 stoplights..but one if for kids crossing the street from the football field, so you have to push a button to make cars stop.

We have 1 grocery store. It has everything, produce is pretty good, meat=not bad. A year ago this summer, it was bought out...by a 'company' (5 owners) that own about 8 other stores in small towns. They were going to come in and make it a GREAT store! HAHAHA If you shop their ad, you can get things at a good price...and I do shop the ad. But I will not buy anything (except for milk and if I run out of eggs) from the store that is regular price! A can of Hunts spagetti sauce is $3.28....I can drive 10 miles and get that same 1 can for $.99!!!

I have been, I will be a Wal-Mart shopper. Yes, I hate to see the little guy hurt, but I just can't afford to shop at a local grocery store! And the pharmacy in our town is soooo high! They have the old people of our town trapped, but as long as I can get out and get my drugs, I will continue to buy at Wal-Mart!

And I agree with Cynic..."Walmart is NOT single handedly doing anything."

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

I am not a Walmart shopper and very rarely will I go there..I've found I've been have been able to find almost everything I need, cheaper elsewhere...I think the only thing I've found cheaper at Walmart was the Splenda and that's only if they don't have it at Aldi's....
    We have 2 super Walmarts within 12 miles of us and another going up in between, starting the spring...The 2 stores are terrible, personal etc. The store that is being built has met with a lot of protest...We just don't want it! But you can't stop Walmart...
    In reference to the fabric...There is a big difference between quilters fabric and regular and if you are a quilter and put that much time into a quilt, you do want top quality...

But, this is a free country, everyone can shop where they want and everyone has a right to their opionion

• Related Discussions

Walmart has seeds for 20 cents also Miracle Gro

Q

Comments (7)
    Ha ha. Pretty awful when a big event in your life gets to be a trip to Walmart to get your dead battery checked and charged. I need to get out more. Obviously. I thought I saw something about Walmart on the cheap seeds thread but never would have driven out there just to get seeds even 20-cent seeds. But it's kind of weird how things play out. Tiffy posted a photo of some gorgeous Sweet William she WS'ed. I thought no sense in paying shipping costs to order more after all I've already ordered. But I really wanted some. So I got 'em. They look pretty but doubt any will be as gorgeous as the one Tiffy got. I don't remember seeing any veggie seeds (or herbs) but was pretty distracted with all the things on my mind. Those might have been on another rack or more will come in. These are American Seed Company and say expiration date 12/10 so I assume they're fresh. When I get in one of those huge cavernous stores, my anxiety kicks in, and I just feel sensory overload. There was one other flower I thought of, oh I'm tired and can't think of it. I thought of it and was a little tempted. Oriental Poppy. The photo showed a red one and a peach one. I didn't get any peach ones out of all the poppies I ordered. There is a Dollar Tree store down on the other end but I was in no mood to run in here and there. I make it sound like it's a day trip. It's at most 4+ miles out by the interstate. I just hate it along that street, lots of the big name stores and condos, eating places, all kinds, looks totally unplanned and just not a pleasant drive. I always say I hate Walmart, but when I do have to go there, I always find something. The crazy thing is that I buy a car and keep it until it won't run any more, got this one in about 94. Well, not too long after, in the middle of winter of course, the battery goes dead. It's fuzzy, but I got one there because they were one of the few places open that late, and that was when they didn't have any tire and lube annex so some nice fellow just came out and put it in my car for me right by the front door of the store. I've been working on that same lifetime warranty for four batteries now lol, works as long as you have the same car. But if this one goes dead again, I'm not sure what I'll do. It's new this past fall, a replacement for a new one last year that did the exact same thing, a dud. So that's why I had to go to Walmart today. They didn't charge me anything for checking and charging the battery so that was nice. While I was finishing that up, I paid for my seeds there because I'd already paid for my other stuff at the regular checkout. The guy was looking through my seeds when I said 20 cents was a good deal. No way did I say anything about winter sowing. I'm going to sow those Sweet William tomorrow. And my T&M order came today so hope to get most of those sowed, too.
    ...See More

This Post Has Absolutely Nothing to do with Gardening

Q

Comments (6)
    Mindy these are available on line from either Kmart or Walmart and if you have them shipped to the store and pick them up, you save on the shipping Fran Kmart http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_021W734600110001P?keyword=round+wall+clock&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5 Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Round-Wall-Clock-with-Silver-Tone-Frame/7768583 A friend's daughter preferred the look of the Kmart clocks and used those for a project with her students. Fran
    ...See More

why do builder want you to shop at specific stores?

Q

Comments (7)
    Even though some of the places may seem like they charge more than some things that you find on the net, they are selling a predictable known product that the contractor has worked with before and that he can get in the needed time frame. Contractors prefer to work with known products and predictable suppliers. It's how they keep things on schedule and how they predict their margins. New products mean a learning curve for everyone, and that extra time costs you money. Suppliers that cause delays cause problems for everyone. Delays cost money. You end up paying that money. Box stores have pretty crappy quality lumber (and most everything else) than needs picking through. A lumber yard sells a known quality, and the builder gets a discount for the repeat business. He may or may not pass along those builder discounts to you because some forms of him pricing the job may include that to him as a portion of his fee as he still has to calculate, order, and arrange delivery of those materials. If you want to spec unknown to him products from unknown or un-trusted sources, then expect that to add time and expense to the project.
    ...See More

Tile Size Question -- Or Why Nothing Gets Done

Q

Comments (10)
    chisue.......my last rental got grey tile with grey grout for the cleaning issues you mentioned. The bigger the tile...= less work. Fewer man hours. If the tile in the shower goes to the ceiling and your tiling under the vanity? Tile baseboard? Remove the toilet for later use....lots of scraping and I'd remove the wall board & flooring underlayment. Then I use hardibacker on the floor and wonderboard on the walls. Start fresh. If you use big tiles set square...not offset(more cuts), not diagonal(more cuts) that would cut labor costs too. It just doesn't look as nice. I seal the grout with an additive, makes it easier to clean AND use Hydrex on it later once it's set. Sounds like you have plenty of light. As a landlord concentrate on making it LOOK clean. I'd go with grey tile and grout myself... This is how I'd break it down: 2 people, one cutting tile, one hanging it: 8 hours demo 3 hours hanging wall board & floor board 8 hours on a diagonal cut tile design with a 4" border around the shower and floor 3 hours grouting it all , let it set to dry for a day 5 hours resetting the vanity, faucets & toilet , clean up grout 4 days approx to get it done. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......if your using a plumber, then a tile guy & they alternate back and forth.....could take weeks to fit you in their schedule.
    ...See More
  • bigbaby
    14 years ago

I go to Walmart here and there, not often. We get our meat at the local market, butcher or meat locker. We buy large quantities and store it in the freezer. We grow our own veggies in the summer and can them or freeze them. That leaves fresh fruit and veggies, which we pick up here and there, usually at our local stores. We do shop at Sam's for toilet paper and other canned goods which have good prices. You do have to watch the prices as Sam's because not everything is cheaper there. We don't have to go out of our way to go to any of these places. Our town doesn't even have a light!!, but I work 17 miles away and Walmart is right on the way.

The reason I don't shop at Walmart often is that it's crowded and it's a hassle. I just don't like big stores very much. It seems like a big committment to even pull into the mega parking lot there, then find a parking place and walk all over the place just to shop. I'm more interested usually in a quick trip. Unlesssss.....it's to TJ Maxx or Marshalls! I love those stores and can spend lots of time there!!

A friend of mine posted this link on his Facebook page. I think it's hillarious and timely for this post. Warning, may be offensive to some.

Here is a link that might be useful: People Of Walmart

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Great and very thoughtful post, Alisande, thanks! I live in the heart of Wal-Mart country and it's kind of painful to read posts sometimes that do nothing but bash WM. This is a breath of fresh air!

While I don't agree with every move they make (the selection is so much smaller than it was a few years ago) I do appreciate their good prices and the number of people they employee. And at least in this area, it's easy to get good customer service in the depts, these folks are just plain nice and eager to please, 95% of 'em, anyway. I think they are quite happy in their jobs.

It was better when Mr. Sam was alive, though, because they never knew just when he would walk thru the door and see what was going on! Now you might get a surly teenage checker or one with so many piercings and tattoos that you cringe looking at 'em, that wouldn't have happened a few years ago. The standards have fallen some.

And I have to agree- the small businesses in our area have flourished, we have more and better selection here than I have ever seen. The only major stores that went out of business here that I can remember were KMart, and that store was a wreck all the time and a grocery store that was so expensive I never shopped there anyway. They needed to go.

We live 20 or 25 miles from a WM, depending on which direction we drive. The nearest grocery is 12 miles. We frequent the grocery stores as much as we can because they actually have better selection and some of the prices are better, too. The produce and meat are definitely better than WM's. But for so many other things, like pet food, bird seed, paper and cleaning products, fishing supplies, tissue and gift wrap, etc- you just can't beat WM.

• amyfiddler
    14 years ago

Totally politically incorrect:

www.peopleofwalmart.com

PS I shop walmart once a week.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

We have Walmart haters around us here too. 3 neighbouring cities lobbied for years to stop WM from coming. They did come to 2 in the last couple years, and the 3rd city is doing everything they can, still to stop them.

There was talk on a local forum about why people won't shop there. Unfair labour practices, stuff made in China etc.

I commented that I buy what I want when it's on sale. If WM has the cheaper price I buy it there. But I also shop Canadian Tire, and Home Hardware as well, which are Canadian companies. And it doesn't matter where I buy my appliance, it's all made in China. So why not buy it at a cheaper price, wherever that may be.

Having said all that, our WM prices aren't cheaper than anywhere else. We have a Superstore now, as of this summer, and their groceries are higher than the stores I regularly shop at.

• workoutlady
    14 years ago

I understand why some shop Walmart often. I personally don't shop there often. I live in a very small town and the nearest Walmart is 30 miles away. I work at a different small town but no where near Walmart. The main reason I don't shop Walmart is because I simply don't have time to drive there very often. So, I do most of my shopping locally because in my case, my time is worth more. Since I don't have kids at home any more, I can afford to shop locally.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I mentioned in the other thread that I wasn't a Wal-Mart hater and I too appreciate the comments that Alisande made...and here is another one I will mention a big gripe or pet peeve for me. That is the employment that Wal-mart offers to people living in the small town. Don't start now with all the pay gripes and the benefits package gripes....because I've lived small town and I know how few jobs are available and how needed the Wal-Mart jobs are in a small town. Your local jeweler has his wife behind the counter and two of his kids...same thing at the local hardware store...WalMart does employ the locals and most of them couldn't get a job anywhere else. It is so funny to me that people go to Wal-Mart practically begging for a job...they have never worked before barely have an education and they get on at Wal-Mart and the next week they are complaining about the hours, the pay, the lack of time off..beech ...beech ...beech they didn't get promoted to store manager the first month.blah blah blah..but that's really the way the bad mouthing gets started and then of course there is the unions that want to get in so they are constantly raising trouble.....well I'll tell you that right here in our little community, there are not a lot of jobs available but Wal-Mart usually has something if you are willing to work....100 or however many people it takes to run a Wal-Mart store, is very valuable to a small town....

• mariend
    14 years ago

We have a super Walmart, under a better manager. Old wal-mart with manager that just did not make the adjustment. New one much better. I prefer meat and veggies from out local markets, we only have two. Good deli and great bakery. Walmarts bake goods seem dry to me. We also have a good Target with some groceries, no veggies, and a good KMart. Guess we are luckier than most. Problem with local stores downtown, is they are trying to be big time-- boutiques, spa's speciality places to eat, but Minot is not Hollywood or any where close. The local merchants don't want to change and as we have a huge Air Force base, you know where those people go besides the commissary which I hear is not cheap. Anyway our Walmart does hire local people and greeters are seniors--little cranky at times but they do their best. We also get alot of Canadians, and people off the reservations I do shop local if I can, but I also like quality.

• chisue
    14 years ago

I *never* shop Walmart, but we do go to Costco about four times a year. Go figure!

In general I hate those warehouse-type stores. They're huge! Those awful concrete floors! Plus, they have scouts in the parking lot who guess what it is I'm looking for and get it moved to the far rear corner of the store before I hit the door! (They are MEAN!)

I like to support local stores who will provide me with *service*. If I buy my maintenance drugs from a Big Box or mail order, who will there for me when I need something NOW? The Home Depots of the world have made it so that I have to drive miles out of my way to buy a toilet flapper. The same is true of office supplies. The little stationer in town can't meet Office Max prices. Our beautiful little toystore has just gone under. They had unique, wonderful toys -- not Made in China By The Millions out of Cheap Materials While Poisoning Their Workers and the Planet.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I didn't read the Walmart meat post either but this one caught my eye because I shop at Walmart too and make no apologies. I don't boycott Walmart and I don't boycott China - but that's another topic.

Very simply I shop wherever I find the best value - which doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest. It may be price, service, convenience, quality, type of product, etc. I shop at Walmart, Costco, Target, Amazon, bricks and mortar chains and local non-chains depending on what I'm looking for.

As pointed out earlier - it's the consumer who makes any retailer a success or a failure. If the retailer offers the same thing as the nearby Walmart but at a higher price with nothing to add value then they're going to fail. You have to find a way to be competitive and to do that you have to be innovative in what you offer and how you offer it. It's not like a business is entitled to continue to survive and be profitable if they don't pay attention to the competition and reinvent themselves as needed. It's a rapidly changing global marketplace - individuals and businesses need to adapt.

On the other hand people are free to do whatever they want. If you choose to have Walmart opposition as your cause - and you don't shop there - and you want to make your case against them - I have no problem with that. I respect your choice to do that. It's just not going to stop me from going there because it isn't a cause I'm into and Walmart provides good value for many products I purchase. I also think Walmart provides some things that aren't entirely negative. I see employees there who might find it difficult to get a job at some other places. I would also guess that Walmart's low prices are very helpful to people who struggle to make ends meet.

• vannie
    14 years ago

Maybe I do shop at Wal-Mart because of greed! It's nobody's concern but mine. I shop at Wal-Mart b/c it is so much CHEAPER than the other stores here. Some things are half the price of the locally owned mega grocery chain we have in Tyler. I don't care where anyone shops; it's none of my business, and I wouldn't care enough to try and dissuade someone from shopping at the locally owned stores here. I'm going to take care of myself and that's what everyone else does. When I do go to the other store (in a bind, since it's 5 minutes from me) I stand there in awe and look at their prices and wonder why anyone chooses to throw their money away on those inflated prices, but it's not my concern. Yes, I love Wal-Mart. I even have several hundred shares of their stock, so be my guest at Wal-Mart!

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

I shop there for convenience. When I am out on a bike tide, 9 out of 10 rides come back by walmart. Makes it easy to pick up a few items, on my way home.

But I prefer to shop at the local grocery chain. Nice produce, nice staff, clean.

I also like hard ware stores better than the big box (lowes and home depot) stores. Same reason. Clean, nice staff, great customer service.

Yes, I know, I can find most of what I want under one roof at Walmart, but I prefer the other places.

In fact, I drive 14 miles to go to the old farmers market area in OKC, for produce. But honest, only when I am already nearby for other things.

Just my feelings.

Moni

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Whenever I'm shopping, regardless of where it is, I look to see if they might carry a brand of the item that is made in the USA.

I recently found throw rugs, paint rollers, and socks, at WM and all made in the USA. I won't buy the socks again though as they twisted on the heel when worn with clogs, sort of like they were irregulars or something.

Sue

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I doubt there will ever be a consensus between those that adore WalMart and those that detest the company. I am absolutely in the latter category, because I have already seen what this company has done to our area. And economists that have followed the evolution for the past 20 years agree that small town America will suffer or are suffering at the hands of the monolith. Tax bases are undermined, downtowns are devastated, small businesses close. In today's economy people are drawn to the supposed savings they find there but in truth that may be the most expensive few dollars they may ever save.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Alisande, the only thing "stupid" was your redefining what I said. It was totally WRONG and you should be ashamed of yourself. It was NOT what I said and at least you quoted me so people can see your misinterpretation. Your misguided anger blinded you to so many facts. Don't you see I was actually defending Walmart? And also defending peoples' right to shop there. I was pointing out a number of things and I think it should be clear enough that I not have to restate it except for correcting your misquoting of intent for whatever purpose motivating you.

Walmart is a company that brings out such unbelievable emotion in people. It's incredible. And clearly, just as some of the opponents use outrageous hyperbole to degrade Walmart, with their claims of sneaking around, singlehandedly close stores, etc, but then even some of the proponents redefine things, interpret, misstate facts and such to try to garner sympathy for the cause. It's incredible! Words don't describe it! What IS it about this store? Politics and religion don't elicit such rabid guardianship. It seems to me Walmart should be another banned topic on the forums for obvious reasons.

I do not deny that a number of businesses have closed since a Walmart (or Home Depot, or Best Buy, or Lowe's or a large grocery store, or whatever goes into the area, depending on the area) but I stand by my statement that if people shopped at the little stores, the little stores would be open. I asked if that was difficult to understand, and I'll ask you Alisande, (I won't go "According to Alisande, it must be..., I'll ask you flat out), don't you understand this?

Now people also need to understand ANOTHER basic fact or two of marketing. When small stores lose business and need to try to make up for the loss, they generally have to cut costs or raise prices. Seldom can they cut costs significantly so usually prices go up. Plus they generally buy small quantities of items compared to bigbox stores so their unit cost is more. I'd gamble to say the small grocer PAYS more for a can of spaghetti sauce than the other stores sell it for at retail. They don't get anywhere near the promotional discounts, even seasonal specials that bigbox does. I've seen it in my stores. Dottie was absolutely correct on this. She gets it, but that's no surprise to me.

Bigbox and small stores can co-mingle successfully, but not without some basic comprehension of things. And with the paranoia out there I don't think it's worth going into more on this.

Alisande, we can disagree on things, that's fine. You can take offense to what I say, that's fine. You certainly won't be the first to be offended by my comments! :) But grow up and quit putting inaccurate words into people's mouths with your "According to Cynic, I must be...". That's NOT fine.

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh. I can see I'm going to have to quote the whole thing again.

Alisande, the only thing "stupid" was your redefining what I said. It was totally WRONG and you should be ashamed of yourself.

But I'm not. Not even a little bit.

It was NOT what I said and at least you quoted me so people can see your misinterpretation.

It's the all-American greed. That was the "greed" part. Perhaps you didn't use the word "stupid," but I think it would be difficult to misinterpret this:

Sammy Walton figured out that if you give people the ILLUSION of saving money, they will pay ANY price.

And this:

They'll spend dollars in gas to drive 50 miles to save pennies.

Your misguided anger blinded you to so many facts.

My what? I wasn't angry. I'm still not angry. Trust me, you would know if I were angry. I responded the way I did because I felt your arrogant post needed to be challenged.

Don't you see I was actually defending Walmart?

Yes, I got that.

And also defending peoples' right to shop there.

Hmmmm.....I'm not so sure about that one. This doesn't sound like a very good defense to me:

Blame yourself if you go there and you might as well blame every other poster who shops there if you want to blame someone.

I was pointing out a number of things and I think it should be clear enough that I not have to restate it except for correcting your misquoting of intent for whatever purpose motivating you.

My "misquoting of intent"? I must say I've never heard that particular phrase before. (And I'm not likely to hear it again.)

Walmart is a company that brings out such unbelievable emotion in people.

Unless you're saying that I'm emotional about Walmart--which you haven't said, and I wouldn't want to misquote your intent!--I'll agree with you on this one. Witness the guy who walked away from me at the party. (Despite the fact that he loved the bread.) But we haven't seen much Walmart-inspired emotion in these threads. Like most of the other posters, I consider Walmart to be just another store. I decide what I want to buy, and then I head for the best place. Often that's online.

It's incredible. And clearly, just as some of the opponents use outrageous hyperbole to degrade Walmart, with their claims of sneaking around, singlehandedly close stores, etc, but then even some of the proponents redefine things, interpret, misstate facts and such to try to garner sympathy for the cause. It's incredible! Words don't describe it! What IS it about this store? Politics and religion don't elicit such rabid guardianship. It seems to me Walmart should be another banned topic on the forums for obvious reasons.

Honestly? So far you're the only poster who has sounded rabid. But that could be just my (mis)interpretation.

I do not deny that a number of businesses have closed since a Walmart (or Home Depot, or Best Buy, or Lowe's or a large grocery store, or whatever goes into the area, depending on the area) but I stand by my statement that if people shopped at the little stores, the little stores would be open. I asked if that was difficult to understand, and I'll ask you Alisande, (I won't go "According to Alisande, it must be..., I'll ask you flat out), don't you understand this?

Of course I understand that. Did you think I was stupid? :-)

Now people also need to understand ANOTHER basic fact or two of marketing.

Tsk, tsk.......there's that arrogance again.

When small stores lose business and need to try to make up for the loss, they generally have to cut costs or raise prices. Seldom can they cut costs significantly so usually prices go up. Plus they generally buy small quantities of items compared to bigbox stores so their unit cost is more. I'd gamble to say the small grocer PAYS more for a can of spaghetti sauce than the other stores sell it for at retail. They don't get anywhere near the promotional discounts, even seasonal specials that bigbox does. I've seen it in my stores. Dottie was absolutely correct on this. She gets it, but that's no surprise to me.

Bigbox and small stores can co-mingle successfully, but not without some basic comprehension of things. And with the paranoia out there I don't think it's worth going into more on this.

Good move.

Alisande, we can disagree on things, that's fine. You can take offense to what I say, that's fine. You certainly won't be the first to be offended by my comments! :) But grow up and quit putting inaccurate words into people's mouths with your "According to Cynic, I must be...". That's NOT fine.

Grow up? I'm smiling because at my age it's nice to know that someone in this world thinks I'm less than mature.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Well that was,.... um, interesting.

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

I love Walmart too. Today DH and I went there to buy a Wii. They were $249 last year, $199 this year BUT they also gave me a $50 Walmart gift card at the register. Net price $149 (before taxes of course.)

Next we went to Sam's Club for a WII Fit Plus. $99 at Walmart, $88.88 at Sam's. Used my Gift Card. You do the math. Nothing I like better than a bargain.

We also get our Rx filled there. The last Rx I got at my old pharmacy cost $75 for 3 months with insurance. I switched to Walmart and the same 3 months supply was $10. I don't like to throw my money away so I shop around for the best price.

Linda

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, I forgot to mention the pharmacy. Fortunately, I haven't needed meds on a regular basis for myself, but my dog Angel was on a heart pill her entire life. For years I got her prescription filled at the local pharmacy, paying around $60 for three month's worth. When I priced it at Walmart, it was $12. So of course I switched.

And Ruthie, good point about employment. When our Walmart was under construction, locals flocked to apply for jobs. Some of them are still there, more than a decade later. For a small county like this, it's a huge employer.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Big box stores like Walmart and Costco dictate prices to manufacturers. They buy in such volume that they can tell manufacturers what they will pay for a can of tomato sauce -- or anything else. The supplier has to shave his cost to them or miss out on a ton of business. The small store cannot compete.

These business practices not only drive other stores out of business, they help send American jobs overseas. When we save that ten cents on a can of tomatoes we are dooming local stores and forcing manufacturers to cut American payrolls and send jobs overseas -- so they can meet the big box store demands on pricing.

Very few Walmart employees qualify for health benefits. The majority are not full-time workers. Walmart has strongly opposed public option health insurance. With public option, they'd have to contribute based on their huge number of employees, not merely pay towards the small percentage who currently qualify for health benefits.

• bostonpat_gw
    14 years ago

I fail to see where Cynic is being rabid or arrogant. Passionate - yes. Explicit in defining the market supply of goods - yes.

I agree with Chisue about Walmart being notorius for taking advantage of employees, GOOGLE Walmart Employment abuse.
    Pat

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

My main problem with walmart is it is so big, and I have a bad
    knee and it hurts me to walk on hard surfaces quite so much.
    I do go there...I buy yogurt and what little canned stuff I buy, and their produce is pretty good. I don[t buy their meat but I do buy my clothes there...like sweats. Sweat pants for five dollars are cheaper than the local thrift shop. Ours here is very clean.

We gave an independent general type store here...hardware, food, feed for livestock. I give them as much business as I can, buying whatever hardware I need there and all of my hay and livestock feed.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Very few Walmart employees qualify for health benefits. The majority are not full-time workers.

Of course not. Walmart hires many seniors who are on Medicare, or using Walmart as a second job, and have Health insurance with their primary employer and students who are covered by parents' policies.

• justlinda
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1867065}}

Yup, often get bargains at Walmart that even the mom/pop thrift stores can't match.

• okwriter
    14 years ago

DH does all of our shopping, and 99% of the time he goes to WM. We have local grocers he goes to very, very rarely...and then he comes home complaining about the cost and returns to WM the next week. Then, of course, he comes home from WM complaining because they moved something...or they quit carrying something he likes...or there were too many people. BOTTOM LINE: Old men complain just to hear themselves. LOL!

I hardly ever go into a store except Staples, and the only reason I stay away from WM is because I tend to go HOG WILD and want all kinds of stuff that I don't need! :-)

People who don't shop at WM on "principal" and choose to pay more elsewhere obviously have way more money than most in this economy. Sure, much of their goods are imported. But how many of us can really afford to pay (or are willing to pay) what goods would cost if produced in the USA today?

And the downtown area here was going to pot long before WM got so big.

Nice post, Susan. Cynic is---well...Cynic.

• golfergrrl
    14 years ago

I love Walmart. The prices are right. I love Costco. The prices are right. That's just the way it is. I just ignore Cynic's pompous lectures.

• adellabedella_usa
    14 years ago

I used to love Wal-Mart, but then they stopped carrying as much variety and their merchandise got shoddy. Their prices are no longer the best out there.

I no longer like their clothes because they are low quality and often don't last more than one or two wearings without developing holes. The toy section is limited. I try to avoid Wal-Mart's gardening area because I've gotten several diseased and infested plants from there. The craft section barely carries the basics anymore. I will buy some of the food, but it's limited since they get some of their food such as Great Value fruit juice and fruit cocktail comes from China. It's been discussed on here several times that the produce is sub-par and the meat is awful.

I find better prices elsewhere. I've tried to go back to more basic cooking which means I use less prepared food. I like the meat and produce at the local grocery store better. If I'm not buying all sorts of pre-cooked food, it doesn't matter where I buy it. If i think a price is too high, then I'm not tempted to buy something I don't need. I'm not a big consumer in terms of just going out to buy junk because I can. I'm not big on knick knacks so I don't spend endless money on that. I shop end of the season sales for clothes so I can get better quality at or below Wal-Mart prices. I don't like to buy made in China so I try not to buy it. I live close to a large variety of stores so I'm no longer limited to what Wal-Mart has to offer.

Wal-Mart is always crowded on the weekends and at night. I might not mind that as much if some of the people weren't so scary. I've witnessed several shopliftings over the years, a few fights, and a hit and run. I've shopped at various locations over the years and although some locations are better than others, the bad outweighs the good.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Nice post, Susan. Cynic is---well...Cynic.

I agree.

• bostonpat_gw
    14 years ago

There's no need to turn this into a Cynic bash.

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Movies show and books depict pioneers going to trading posts a few times a year to pick up staples that they could not raise. The prices were probably high due to shipping by wagon train.

Then in my early life there was a country store about a mile from our house that my mother shopped at because it was close, but it was high in price. So goodbye trading post.

Then an oil boom hit our small town and in came Safeway and Piggly Wiggly. There prices were much cheaper. So goodbye country store.

Next came Walmart. They were even cheaper and more convenient because so many things were located in one place. So goodbye Safeway and Piggly Wiggly.

This is not a post for or against Walmart, just musing about how times change.

Sounds like Ole Joyful wrote this, doesn't it?

• Cherryfizz
    14 years ago

I rarely shop at Walmart either not for any reason other than the lights in the store bother me and I don't like how the aisles are so short and cut up that I can never find the person I came shopping with. LOL

My brother has a discount grocery store down the street from Walmart. We were a little worried he would lose business to Walmart and he did for a little while. He said he wasn't worried because the novelty would wear off plus his prices were comparable or less than Walmart, he had more variety and his customers did return. There are never enough cashiers on at Walmart either and if you have a buggy full or groceries it seems like you wait forever. In the years Walmart has been here and since we have the superstore in the east end I have probably spent less that 100 dollars in that store. I live in a old area of Windsor where everything I need to buy is whithin walking distance or bus. I really do prefer to support my local neighbourhood businesses and my brother's grocery store though.

I do admit I like Costco but like everywhere you shop you need to know your prices. Costco isn't always cheaper - you have to check the price per unit stickers. I window shop there and at other big box stores more than I spend money in them.

Anne

• nanny98
    14 years ago

Seems like all the posts have valid ideas and arguments. I would like to add, that we travel often and sometimes very far, and it has been my experience that WalMart is sort like McDonalds. You kind of know what to expect when in unfamiliar territory. I don't want to have to search a small town for a pair of undies, socks or bottled water or fresh veggies...Walmart will have them, as well as an area of souveniers (very reasonably priced), post cards, snacks and maps and local fruit. Not to forget that any prescription that I run out of/need, can be transfered anywhere in the USA, Canada (haven't really tried that) and Alaska. If their restrooms aren't clean....complain! Oh, and their parking lots almost always have room for our big rig. (We have never stayed the night there, however!)
    Nanny

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I just think that people who don't want to shop at WalMart should be entitled to have their opinion, and people who want to shop at WalMart should be able to do so without being judged.

• haffie
    14 years ago

I was surprised last night at Walmart...I could find no Hannukah wrapping paper, ribbon nor boxes for gifts for my great neices & nephews! Not one roll.

• okwriter
    14 years ago

OH, and I do wish we had a Sams! Closest one is almost 100 miles from here.

• ronf_gw
    14 years ago

Well said, soxxxx.

We live in a free market society. Every time anyone spends a dollar we're casting a vote. Some valid arguments have been made on both sides of the issue.
    Thanks for starting this thread, Susan.

Ron

• bluejeans4ever
    14 years ago

Good topic, Alisande!

I also live in a small town with downtown Mom and Pop shops. Quite quaint, really, but not accessible to everyone.

My husband is in a wheelchair and can't get into any of the shops.

Walmart is accessible, easy to get around and everything is there.

Husband is on the town's accessible committee, I'm heavily involved in the Chamber of Commerce and this issue has been addressed for years and years. The shop owners say that putting in ramps or widening the doors would cause financial hardship. Yet they whine (yes they WHINE) about Walmart coming to town next month. They have been given money to update and "pretty up" the downtown area and yes, it looks pretty nice. But did anything even THINK that they could use the money to make the buildings accessible? What good is pretty when you can't use it.

I can only imagine the business they have lost over the years from others with mobility issues or even Mom's with strollers.

We would gladly shop from Mom and Pop but it is impossible. And since none of them have made any attempt to make their shops accessible, then it's too bad for them.

It is the law to make your establishment accessible, but if it's not enforced then the law is redundant.

Other than that (lol) I like Walmart. Actually, I like the USA Walmarts better than the Canadian chain. So much more variety, I'm like a kid in a candy shop when in a Walmart over the border.

I've become more of an online shopper these past few years. I've done most of my Christmas shopping online without braving the crowds and horrendous parking.

I digress... :-)

BJ

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I do not believe that WalMart displaces all of the major stores. It might take over business from some small over priced Mom and Pop but in the little TX town I live in there are 4 major shopping markets and they all get plenty of business. We are not a tiny town but we also have plenty of competition in the Building and Hardware etc etc...One of the busiest places around is a locally owned Ace Hardware....

• chisue
    14 years ago

Ron -- How come you could say that in three sentences, and it took me three paragraphs? LOL

ruthieg -- I know it costs me more to buy from Ace Hardware, but there's always someone there to actually HELP me -- not just some bozo floorwalker.

monica -- Yes, isn't it nice? Walmart is responsible for jobs going overseas AND they let Medicare insure their employees while failing to contribute to the pot. No surprise they don't want a public health option.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Walmart is responsible for jobs going overseas AND they let Medicare insure their employees while failing to contribute to the pot

Chisue...I hope you're just confusing MEDICARE with medicaid.
    All seniors who have worked enough quarters paying into MEDICARE are eligible. And the MEDICARE contribution for every employee is a payroll deduction, not an employer contribution.

Walmart (and all other employers in the US) do NOT have anything to do with employee eligibility for MEDICARE.

Check your facts, not Union nonsense.

• ronf_gw
    14 years ago

chisue, "Ron -- How come you could say that in three sentences, and it took me three paragraphs? LOL"

It's my natural born introvertedness that causes me to say as much as possible in a few words; or less.
    Bigbaby is working on this with me.
    Or to put it the way one of our mutual friends did at Toastmasters, "Ron doesn't say much, but, Sue makes up for it."

Ron, thanking Bigbaby for cracking open the shell and forcing me out

• pris
    14 years ago

Monica,

Medicare and social security taxes deducted from employees checks are matched by the employer. In the US, if you work and have not reached SS max these deductions and employer contributions are manditory unless covered elsewhere. Such as teachers, railroad employees some government employees and probably a few others that I can't name at the moment. At walmart, even PT employees pay into the system and walmart matches those deductions. Since both medicare and medicaid are now part of the general fund and not seperate as they were originally set up to be, we have to assume that all our tax dollars go toward medicaid but medicare and ss are partially offset by these contributions.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

Pris, being self-employed for so many years, I forgot about the employer matching...I paid both.

That said, the idea stated by the poster I was addressing was that Walmart somehow "forces" employees onto Medicare which they don't pay into...is just not true.

I shop at Walmart for some things because the prices are the cheapest for many products, the stores are clean and the employees are pleasant and helpful.

• pris
    14 years ago

I know. I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that WM didn't contribute to mandated payroll taxes. Now, the senior employees who are already on SS & Medicare are usually parttime employees who do not qualify for the WM medical plan because of that. But, in all honesty, I don't know how many of them really want to work full time anyway as the usual jobs available are standing on your feet all day and much better suited to PT or younger employees. (Don't get all het up folks. I'm not saying all seniors lack the stamina, just that most probably would not want to do that.) Most employers medical policies stipulate that only full time employees qualify for coverage. Now, having said that. Younger employees who are restricted to PT and not allowed coverage on the company plan would have to provide their own insurance or use the public health facilities which are covered by medicaid. Most of those facilities require a payment of some amount based on ability to pay but I'm sure if you're homeless and have no income you would not be denied services. At least I would hope that this is true.

• lexi7
    14 years ago

Nanny98 I agree that Wal-Mart is a good place to shop when traveling. I know they will have gas at the lowest or near the lowest price. I can count on them to have plenty of clean restrooms. Whatever I forgot or need, I will probably be able to find it at Wal-Mart and get in and out quickly. If there is something wrong with my purchase, I can exchange it at home.

• chisue
    14 years ago

I'm not saying Walmart *forces* people into government-funded health insurance. However, because they don't offer health insurance for the majority of their employees taxpayers often absorb the costs of 'charity' care for these employees.

I think it was monica_pa who made the point that many Walmart employees are Seniors (who are on Medicare).

My point is that Walmart doesn't contribute to the health care of most of its employees. The company is set up to save those costs by employing as few full-timers as possible. This is why Walmart is fighting so hard against public option health insurance. They would have to pay more if we had public option.

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

I dont see why this topic is such a big controversy...I shop at Wal-Mart because we live in an area that has no other option,and I am handicapped and cant travel very far. Nor do I have an income that affords me the luxury to shop anywhere I choose. I have to shop where I get the best I can afford for my money.My Wal-Mart is clean,friendly,and offers a lot of employment opportunities to people in this area who would probably be un employed and on assistance otherwise. Why a debate? So far,we live in a country where we have choices.To each his own.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

Some, although not all, of the people who don't like WalMart think that they should influence those who do like WalMart, to not shop there. You're right, Caroline, we all can make our own choices, but everyone else should respect our choices if they are not illegal or immoral.

• samkaren
    14 years ago

For me Walmart is one-stop shopping. I can go there and know I will get 95% of what is on my list. Years ago I was a true-blue K-Mart shopper. I stopped going to Kmart because their selection of items diminished over the years. What I love about Walmart is that I can buy my groceries and art supplies at the same time.
    We do have a small grocery store in town where we purchase our cold items (milk, cream and butter). But.they are outrageous on their prices. DH paid almost $3 for a quart of milk last week. We will still go there but it is mostly for emergency items now.
    With the cold weather upon us we can buy our cold items at Walmart and if needed bring our cooler.
    Count me in for those who say "GO WALMART"!
    SamKaren
    Your resident DJ

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012