SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20095016

UPS never again.In this last week are you getting all your packag

User
12 years ago

I brought this back up because I wonder how you all are doing in sending and receiving gifts.

FedEx is full service and the driver calls ahead. God bless him. They are still on my top. They never miss.

I am waitinig for gifts sent through UPS and have stayed home and waited and waited without notification that they wouldn't be delivered on time and then they lost them after several days. Tethered at home is not cool. My own company where I work sent them and has done all they can do to help.

I tried to track them online but I guess they are backed up. Will I receive my packages? They have gone form Chicago to Baltimore (But not to Wash, DC where I live) then to Pennsylvania and now are lost. Carp.

I hope you are doing so much better than I.

Comments (41)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

I am still waiting for one package, but I think I ordered it early enough that it should still arrive in time.

• jel48
    12 years ago

Everything so far has arrived... but the last two years, UPS has delivered one of the neighbor's packages to our house and just left it on our porch. Plus I intercepted them on one other package and told them this is not the right street, much less the right house!

• Related Discussions

Do your summer squash last all summer?

Q

Comments (9)
    Well, you CAN get them to go a lot longer, but it takes a bit of work. Three things really do them in -- A) disease, especially powdery mildew; B) insects, squash borers and so forth; C) letting them go to seed, not picking soon enough. So, if you spray them regularly with fungicides and insecticides, be really good about picking them all young, and keep them watered and fertilized, you can keep them producing a lot longer. HOWEVER, it's actually a lot easier just to plant a couple of batches of them -- you can do an early one, started about a month before your last frost and transplanted, one planted just after the lost frost date, and another planting about end of June/1st of July. Now,I used to do this some years. But frankly, we get kind of bored of them by late summer, and I've usually put up all I need by that time. Also, in September, I will usually pick and use the small winter squash and pumpkins as summer squash, since they usually won't have enough time to make mature squash anyway.
    ...See More

Catch up pics from the last two weeks...

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks all! ngraham - the good news is, VE multiplies like crazy. When she gets it right, the flowers are amazing. farmerbell - I didn't like that seedling when it first opened, but the blooms are getting better, and the bud count and branching are out of this world. In addition, it had instant rebloom this year. PP is my little beauty. Love her. Jessica - can you believe that some of them are just starting their first blooms? I got a bunch that are late and very late, so I could extend my season. Looks like it is working! Stargate Explosion just put up its first scape! Yippee! Nikki - I posted about the photo problem on your Star Child post.... hope it works out! I like PP too! okbt - she is a hardy little bugger... even though I slid down the hill and wiped out all 3 fans last fall, she came back beautifully and gave me quite a show. Love PP. Debra - thanks!! :o) MM is new to my garden (this spring), and is doing so well! Got another bloom this morning. Hoping the colors get just a mite brighter with settling. Gotta do my yoga, then I will try to post those Star Child photos... Thanks for all the kind words.
    ...See More

Don't wait to open ALL your packages!

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes, totally agree. We opened our microwave, but not entirely. It was installed yesterday after sitting in our room for a month. A big dent on the side of it. We should have completely examined it as soon as we received it. Good thing that the cabinets will obscure it, but still. I must say, I'm not sure I would purchase appliances online again either.
    ...See More

Week 70: Progress in the last week

Q

Comments (38)
    I hope you're not talking about me. I don't take online things personally, nor did I actually think of this conversation as critical. Not many of us do here. I find when someone's newly online, they don't realize people take things in the emotion they themselves are currently experiencing. Not necessarily as intended, but don't sweat it. I'm a 2-decade, online pro. :) Re: fire. as much as I hate this expression, "It is what it is." But I'm compelled to add "it's what you do with 'it' that makes a difference." Our fire started with the water softener shorting out, which burned down into the walls. Ironically, the subsequent electrical system I endured for 5 years were extension cords strung through the house, poked through the exterior wall into the garage, where they were juryrigged directly to the breakers. Yes, ex-DH, that was such a great idea. But one cord did run the 220v space heater that warmed my sorry butt for 6 years. Until I got my solar grants and put HVAC into the house. Go figure. I'm sure this explains my done once done right philosophy. We're straying, but that's what these threads are about. T_G, what's the name of your paint color? LOVE it. I'm thinking my future sun porch might need to be that color.
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    12 years ago

Why do you have to be tethered to home? My UPS guy leaves them at the door and goes on his merry way. We got all our packages fast and in good condition. My only complaint was I could not get the free shipping from one place due to a PO box..obviously UPS charges more to deal with the US post offices. I had it sent to a work address instead. It sounds to me like you have a safety/security concern with where you live, that is not the UPS's fault.

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

People can't have it both ways -- shoppers fed up with running around town shopping in brick-and-mortar stores, dealing with crazed drivers, not wanting to stand in long lines have shifted dramatically to online shopping. (Or online sites being the only option for some people, or you just can't find what you want in your local stores.)

So UPS is juggling a lot more deliveries-- a LOT more. I've seen the trucks making deliveries long after the sun sets (and a lot more FedEx trucks as well, of course).

I'm sure UPS brings on many holiday contractors to fill the need, and perhaps problems creep in that way.

In my book, UPS is hauling a$$ this season. I have far less trust that the item I shipped 5 states away via the postal service will get there safe and sound (and unopened).

(But there are way too many retailers promising "It'll get there before Christmas" when they can't possibly guarantee that unless you pay higher shipping charges -- going with FedEx.)

Maybe -- just maybe? -- too many people are waiting until the last minute and expecting holiday miracles?

• juellie1962
    12 years ago

I was wondering why you have to stay home for a package. They don't require signatures at residential deliveries anymore....at least not where I live. I'm quite pleased with our driver; he takes the time to go around the house and leave the packages on the back porch so no one can see them sitting there all day.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've noticed the UPS driver at my building a few times in the past couple weeks. They make 2 attempts. They don't leave packages, they leave the note on the door.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

I received my two expected packages this week and they were delivered by UPS. They were delivered when expected and left on my front porch. Of course I knew he was out there with Izzi as a good watch dog. It was around 7 at night when he did deliver. I was happy with my delivery.

Sue

• dotmom
    12 years ago

I ordered only one pkg from Amazon, to be delivered by UPS. I tracked to and it said they tried to deliver on a morning we were home amd will try the next day. The next day the small PKG was delivered by our mail man. Can't figure that out but just glad it came.

• wildchild
    12 years ago

We do a lot of online shopping. DS doesn't live at home but has a lot of his mail delivered here because he has a "half" address where he lives.

UPS is wonderful here. They often come by twice a day in our neighborhood. Once in the morning and once around 7:00pm. Packages are always in great shape and on time.

I don't wait for them. They leave them at my door.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Ellie said that the packages are from her employer, they may be requiring a signature, that is an option that UPS and Fed Ex offer. I use Fed Ex and usually use that option when I am shipping.

My regular UPS delivery man is a good one, he usually rings the bell and off he goes. But as stated, they do have a lot of contracted workers at this time of year and I must have had one last week. I found packages in front of the garage door, in plain sight of the front door, in the rain. I was not happy.

Fed Ex the same, lots of contract workers out there, I think they are all pushed to the max. Did you see the You Tube video of the Fed Ex guy tossing a computer monitor over a fence? It was on the Today Show this morning. I bet he's looking for a job! LOL!!

• chessey24
    12 years ago

A lot of companies are doing a dual delivery system - UPS to the local post office and then USPS delivers pkg with the mail. It must be cheaper for the company(esp. those who offer free delivery) but it is a pain in the tush, although I have to admit that I haven't had any problems with it.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

UPS is dead to me.
    DH re-ordered lost items from Amazon, refunded items lost by UPS, and this time they sent via Post Office, which did deliver.
    UPS id dead to me, I always told him, Fed Ex was more reliable.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I just saw a news story about how thieves are following FedEx and UPS and waiting for them to drop off packages and going and stealing them once the delivery truck drives away! UGH! So far we have not had a problem getting packages where we live but a few years back two Christmas presents never made it to the apt we used to live in though they said they were delivered, we had been there the entire day because it was just a day before Christmas EVE and we didn't dare go anywhere because it's a madhouse out there that time of year(this time of year!). Because they were from Amazon, they resent them no questions asked.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

I do almost all my shopping online, and I love UPS. I always get packages on time and they bring them up to the porch. FedEx is not bad, but a couple times they did not deliver on the scheduled day. USPS is a pain. They used to drop packages in the bushes next to the mailbox...or hang packages on the red flag of the mailbox (until they broke the box doing that). I filled out a form at the post office, requesting that packages be placed on the porch. That is never done--they drop them on the concrete pad outside the garage. Fortunately, the dog lets us know when the USPS truck comes up the drive; otherwise, our mail could sit out in the rain all day.

• carla35
    12 years ago

We had a package from FedEx that required a signature, we were given the option to go online and have them hold the package at a particular office location of our choice so we could pick it up instead of wait at home all day. That option may be availible for other carriers too. Just something to consider if you can't wait at home all day.

• socks
    12 years ago

I think they all - UPS, Fedex and UsPs--do the best they can. Our UPS has been delivering at 8 p.m. the past few days. They tap gently on the door to let us know a pkg is there so late. As for lost packages, it's going to happen with the volume of stuff they move. In particular, small packages can get stuck places and get overlooked.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

So far, everything has arrived on time and in good condition from all of the carriers including the USPS. I have one package coming USPS Priority Mail, though, that I'm betting won't make it on time. I'm sure that it will arrive within their stated delivery time frame, just not on the early end of the range which would be in time for a specific event.

• evatx
    12 years ago

UPS and FedEX here have had so much work, they've rented Hertz trucks for their drivers/deliverers. Out city policeman stoped one Hertz truck driving slowly through the neighborhood & checked him out for ID.

I've received packages via FedEX more promptly and more often on the promised date than UPS. I spent a couple of early Dec. weeks sick with a virus so did a lot of online shopping & expected that I was going to be too late for Christmas delivery, but so far, so good.

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Did anyone see on the news where the Fed Ex guy threw the computer monitor over the fence. They have it on video. Of course the monitor was smashed to pieces.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I live in a high-rise condo without a front desk. I can buzz UPS in from my cell phone when they call from the front door when I am on travel but they will not deliver it to my apartment door no matter how much I ask them too. They take it back. They told me they don't have time. If they did, I feel the packages are safe until my animal caretaker comes. I live is a safe area and the houses have their packages dropped off without a problem.

If I am sick and home and ask them to meet me at my apartment door they will not come up. I have talked with UPS management and so has my company. The drivers are not expected to come to my apartment. It depends on the regional dirctor or supervisor if they make them contact the customer.If they do it for houses why not for a condo?

That is why I wait. Things arrive in great condition when I get them that is not my point. They frequently miss their deadlines and don't compensate the sender for the late delivery.

I will always chose another service before them and now in the future will have my packages delivered to the nearest UPS package store to be held which is not a convenience to me to wait in line for every delivery from them.

So far today they still have not given me a date of arrival because they can't find it. This time of year has nothing to do with the situation. Online they do not update changes in any kind of timely manner so I can track from a far.

I work in management for the headquarters of a national department store based out of Seattle and I live in Virginia near Wash, DC. My employer has a contract with UPS. The store sent out packages that were bought by friends I work with in the business. In essence I am a customer. Only the store could get the info that my packages were first declared late then lost.

If there is a way to change our contract to another carrier I will do it because our customer service is impeccable and we shouldn't have to chase after our packages delivered by UPS nor should the customer.

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention that everything that I ordered on-line that came UPS came on time or early.

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

UPS is great here. They leave the package on my porch, ring the doorbell and run. I don't worry about packages left on my porch.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"everything that I ordered on-line that came UPS came on time or early."

Same here... I have NO complaints with UPS.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Our UPS guy is GREAT! During the year, when DH orders Amsoil, he puts it in the garage which is unattached because DH cannot lift heavy things. He delivers lots to the PO because he cannot get to some houses and the people make arrangements. I think they use the street address of the PO, then box # like an apartment, but our Postmaster checks out every name and package and if she does not recognize a name, will not accept it. They really work good together. Small town/rural area.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I'm not expecting any packages. I got all mine mailed early. Some I used UPS Tracking. I trust the post office to deliver and they did-I telephoned recipients. Everything has been safely delivered.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, would it be better for me to have UPS send packages to the post office? Do I have to open an account with the post office? Is there a charge and I still wait in line.
    Do I get notice that they have arrived at the post office?

• Chi
    12 years ago

I had an expensive order go missing from USPS priority a few weeks ago. They were no help when I called, just claiming that they delivered it but there was no trace. I had to pay to have it reshipped via UPS signature confirmation. I'm crossing my fingers that it will arrive.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

My Kindle Fire was reported as Delivered by UPS, but I never got it. I can't say whether UPS didn't deliver it or if someone swiped it. I live in a good neighborhood, but close to the street and, unfortunately, they reportedly left it on the front step. I'd choose to believe that they didn't deliver it, vs someone stealing it. But - I can't prove either way and Amazon replaced it so I'm Ok.

• dees_1
    12 years ago

Not trying to dismiss anything you're going through Ellie but thought I'd help to explain things.

1. You said "I live in a high-rise condo without a front desk. I can buzz UPS in from my cell phone when they call from the front door when I am on travel but they will not deliver it to my apartment door no matter how much I ask them too." You don't say how many floors/units are in your building but think about the delivery man. During peak, they probably do 100+ stops (not packages) per day. If they had to wait for you to buzz them in, wait for the elevator, find your apartment and deliver your package, it would take about 10 minutes. 10 minutes in delivery man speak is a ton of time. It would make sense for them to leave them in the lobby for you but keep in mind, the delivery man is PERSONALLY responsible for that package and even leaving it in a secure lobby is risky (I'll wait patiently for someone to comment on the FedEx Express guy tossing the TV over the fence.).

2. You also said "If I am sick and home and ask them to meet me at my apartment door they will not come up. I have talked with UPS management and so has my company. The drivers are not expected to come to my apartment. It depends on the regional dirctor or supervisor if they make them contact the customer.If they do it for houses why not for a condo? " Houses are stop, walk and set package on (back) door. That stop takes all of 1 minute. If they were to deliver to every condo door in your unit, it could take an hour or more. Do you see my point?

Every delivery service is different. Some have drivers/delivery people who will just deliver packages to your type of building but it's very rare. It all depends on the demographics of your neighborhood.

I don't know what to tell you for an option. If you have things delivered via USPS, you may get notification that a package is held for you at the local PO.

I know deliver services vary and nobody will be happy with every one. Best of luck to you!!

• pekemom
    12 years ago

I also saw the news story showing the FedEx and UPS people
    actually throwing around packages, including the monitor.
    I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it .....

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Our previous apartment was a high-rise and they buzzed and I let them in the lobby, then went down to meet them and sign. I never had them come up to my floor.

The current apt is a 3-floor walk-up and I got a package a couple weeks ago, and he came to the door, knocked and I signed.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you were a carrier would you rather deliver about 16 packages door to door to a highrise condo with an elevator or to houses out in the elements?

I live in an area where the houses start at a million and the income in my building averages out to about $100,000 in an expensive area. So, much less than the houses but the best views anywhere. We don't have a lot of crime but we do have probably more than small towns.

My ex-husband was the mediator for the postal service employees. After talking again with UPS higher ups today thanks to my ex-husband, the carriers are out of line and we will get new ones who will make the necessary phone calls to tell us they have arrived.

Our biggest problem has always been that the board voted down having a front desk which has been a huge mistake that our board will not change.

Thanks, for your input. I am glad I addressed it with all of you. I can see that UPS is doing a better job in your area and that got me to forge ahead. Happy holidays and hopefully we will all get our packages on time - especially those from loved ones who can't be with us.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Last friday the 16th i sent off pkgs to the grands.One family there were 3 boxes,so i numbered them 1 of 3,2 of 3,3of3And did the same with the other one only 2 pkgs though.One GD got pkg #1 on monday,still has not received the other 2,and gs has not received either of his.They all went out on the same day and it's only 6-7 hours away!!I'm going to be really PO if they don't get there in time for xmas.
    Kathi

• dees_1
    12 years ago

Ellie, you asked "If you were a carrier would you rather deliver about 16 packages door to door to a highrise condo with an elevator or to houses out in the elements? " The answer is "it depends". Depending on the organization you work for, that one high-rise building could count as one stop with multiple packages. FedEx Ground pays by the stop and by the package. Let's use $1/stop and .10 per package. So, if I have one stop with 16 packages, I would get paid $2.60. If those were individual stops, my pay would be $17.60. That's a huge difference and even factoring the cost of fuel, individual stops make you more money. UPS pays by the hour (and they are union) so I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

I'm glad UPS is responding to your concerns. The only thing I would add is if you continue to ship via UPS or FedEx, please ask the shipper to add special instructions to the shipping invoice. If you indicate the delivery person should phone ahead, it might help things a bit. No guarantee the delivery person would do it but know you can add special instructions.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I love our UPS delivery woman. She always goes the extra mile. Unfortunately, my mom sent a package to my brother in CA and UPS lost it. I guess they will find it by the smell because it was full of perishable food. She was fit to be tied.

Here's the video of the Fed Ex guy tossing the tv over the fence. Sheesh. Glad he was caught on camera.

Here is a link that might be useful: FedEx toss

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dees, that was very interesting info. The best part of your advice to me is to make sure the shipper puts instructions on it. This is great advice when I am the shipper.

My company did tell them to call up at the front door when they sent said package. They didn't call as usual. I believe FedEx employees get paid much better to go the extra mile and the company makes more money as they are diversified in several areas I am told. They sure are the happiest young men and when I have told them how greatful I am, one of the two said to not worry we make very good money.They are well trained to speak with customers in a professional manner.

My troubles are about to be over since my ex-husband made a good phone call today using his contacts to them and my company told UPS what they have witnessed through me and leveraged a deal for me when I receive any UPS packages or else they threatened to change contracts. It was eye opening to the president I work directly for because his company is known for customer service. There are books written on how they do it. They give UPS a lot of money nationwide. So, I will not be a priviledged customer I will just get what you all get for service. However, when I travel my company sends my luggage ahead to my hotel via USPS.

dedtired, did you name this the FedEx Toss? Oh great now the carriers can have bragging rights for who tossed the most expensive piece. What a nut job this jerk is. I love it.You can post that every month and I will look at it. If you find out what happened to the guy (I want the smallest details like when FedEx was told what he did, what did they do - then let me know.)

Kathi,I think there will be a lot of hustling in the next days. The weather is good around me anyway and this is their season to shine or lose a lot of future business.

Why can't temp employees try to get noticed for doing a great job and perhaps get hired that way. I guess they are not trained well for the short time they work and get put in difficult positions.

Blah, blah, blah. Thanks folks. Hope all your packages make you smile and are sealed with a kiss. The end,

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

One more comment from me:

I like Amazon, I really do. But perhaps they should stop printing that tell-tale Amazon logo on their shipping boxes. I feel it attracts a lot of attention from people who are nosey and who might otherwise never think of taking it. Especially with all the Kindles being sold this year, a certain size box with the Amazon logo is a dead giveaway to thieves.

Plus, everything that Amazon sells (itself, not through the Amazon Marketplace) is stuff that people want or can resell easily -- books, dvds, cds, small electronics, big electronics, etc.

I'd bet that if they had plainer packaging, fewer things would go missing. There are still going to be miscreants in the world, but Amazon could cut its losses.

OOPS! I LIED! ANOTHER COMMENT!
    I lived in a high-rise in Chicago a number of years ago. Ordered a burger sampler through QVC one time. My high-rise DID have a little office off the loading dock area that accepted all UPS and USPS packages (I think FedEx was different). And then they'd put a slip in our mailboxes. NOT a good idea for this package! It spent a weekend in that office, and on Monday when the office finally opened again, there were a few icky meat drip marks coming though the box. I seem to recall I really had little recourse except to complain to management, because QVC did its job (overnight shipping) and UPS did its job. It was that dopey guy in the office that thought keeping a box labeled "Omaha Steaks" and "Perishable" on the shelf overnight was OK.

Bottom line: Having a front desk (or office) to collect packages can have its drawbacks, too. 9 times out of 10 everything will probably be fine, but just don't order any overnight-delivery burgers!

• gemini40
    12 years ago

Just saw on the news a story how how how thieves are stealing packages left on steps and porches of unattended homes.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

I have no complaints about UPS at all. They are working hard here-2 men per truck. WE've ordered a lot online this year and everything is arriving as scheduled. They ring the bell drop it and run! Its usually placed behind a column so its not visible from the road.

Too bad about the thieves. It would be awful is eventually everything required a signature.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

I have received everything, and our son did too. Since he flies in from the east coast, he orders everything online.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pammyfay, you are sssssoo right. I wish they would downplay that darn logo. Commonsense. No need to advertise so your customer is robbed.

I have a friend that ordered many apple products and she was lucky although bragging about how the logo is on every package and nobody took them. That is for sure.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor