SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Shipping problem?

Chi
12 years ago

I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on a problem I'm having with something I ordered online.

On 11/28, I ordered some expensive skincare items from a company I've never ordered from but has nice reviews. My total was nearly $200. The only option was to ship USPS priority mail. I gave them my work address and paid.

So today I realized I hadn't heard a word about it so I called them to inquire about the status of my order. I was told that it had been delivered on Friday, 12/2 around noon. I received the tracking number but all it told me was that same delivery date/time. She said the package did not require a signature.

I asked our receptionist and she hasn't seen it. We asked around the other businesses in the area in case of a mistaken delivery and no one had it. I don't think anyone stole it but I don't have proof either way. I've had tons of packages delivered before without a problem. It's been nearly a week so if someone had accidentally taken it, it would have shown up by now.

So, my question is, now I'm out $200 and I have no product. The company told me to call USPS. I haven't done that yet but I imagine they are just going to tell me that it was delivered and not their problem.

I sent the skincare company a nice email asking if they would help me, since I was a first time customer, I had provided the correct address (double and triple checked) and I had selected the only shipping method they offered (I would have paid extra for Fedex or UPS if available). I haven't done anything wrong. I don't understand why they would ship such expensive products without any required signatures, especially during the holidays when package theft picks up. I haven't heard back yet.

What do you think? Am I out of luck? I understand why the company wouldn't feel responsible but I'm also really mad that I paid them for items I don't have.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• lynn_d
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Chi83, I'm sorry that you are in this situation with no help being offered by the seller. The USPS may be able to track it for you but in the meantime, I would contact the credit card company and see if you can't reverse the charge. And telling the company that you are doing so may just send them a message to do something more for you. I would call the company again and speak to someone with the authority to replace the items.

• phyllis__mn
    12 years ago

That's what I so dislike about UPS and Fedex.....they just drop off packages on my back porch without requiring a signature. I pick up my mail from the PO, so don't have that problem with USPS, but imagine it would be the same. Hope you can get this solved.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Currants and gooseberries

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Murcury, Welcome to Garden Web. I thought you might like to know there is no email link on your member page, thus no way to email you. To set up your email, just go to the bottom on any page here, and click on Member Pages Then click on Edit your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences You will then probably be asked to login in again. Once there, set the drop down box to Show my email address to MEMBERS And then check the box Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. That will place a link on your member page, and will also show your email address to anyone you email about a trade. While there editing, you may want to fill in your state abbreviation. It goes in the same box provided for the garden zone. Many traders like to know where a member is located b4 responding to a plant trade. Happy Gardening and trading. Sue
    ...See More

Bluestone Perennials has lost their minds!

Q

Comments (30)
    My Lime Frost daylilies came last week and they were perfect. There was an insert that held the potting media back. The new pots where pretty cool. I pulled that off and it teased the roots for me! I didn't take a pic since there weren't any issues. The only issue I have is that they where a bit dry. But the last day of shipping in transit it was in the low 90s so I'm sure that didn't help. Eitherway not a huge issue for a daylily. They are money with service. I had a replacement order that needed to ship this past spring but I moved in the fall prior and forgot to notify them of my move. They sent another order with no questions.
    ...See More

RVR Shipping...Anyone Else Having This Problem

Q

Comments (2)
    I love RVR's selection and the quality of their plants is great. But every time I've had to deal with them on a problem, I come away with the feeling that they are a little on the stoned side. That they consistently have so many Mystery roses to give away would suggest the same. But I'm grateful they are still in business and the quality and variety is so good, so now I just put up with it and forgive them.
    ...See More

NXR Update

Q

Comments (50)
    Fortunately, very few of us had had shipping damage inflicted on our units. Abqdeb: As has been said before, Costco gives you an edge for this kind of transaction. If my NXR had showed up with shipping damage or turned out to be lemon, it would have gone right back to Costco for a new stove or a full refund. Same thing if it turns out you just don't like the stove after using it for a month. That's why I chose to get mine from Costco. elofgren: I've never had any problems with anything I've ordered from Dvorson's. They've been around for years and have a good reputation. But, remember that you do have the right to inspect the stove before accepting it from the shipper. The shipping invoice will probably says you should do this, too. (It will be in tiny print in dense legalese, but it will be there.) So, when your stove gets delivered, take off the boxing and plastic wrapping so you can check the condition before you sign for it. Photograph it, too, if you can. Doing these ritual acts will at least ward off bad juju, if nothing else. :>) This post was edited by JWVideo on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 20:50
    ...See More
  • RuskitD
    12 years ago

Years ago I did a claim with UPS. They left a shipment at my door and I didn't get it. No signature required.
    It either was stolen, or left in the wrong place. It was a lengthy process, but they did give me the money for my package. However, this was to a home address.

You will have to contact USPS, and file a claim. I don't know if it will be considered 'your fault', since it was delivered to a place of business, where others could have helped themselves to it, when it was out of the hands of USPS or not. They may say they did their part by getting it to the address. They are not responsible for the package after delivery.
    But it never hurts to try.

I too, would contact the card company and put a freeze on the payment. That may be the only recourse you have.

How frustrating and disappointing! I hope someone helps you out!!!!

• golfergrrl
    12 years ago

Sometimes a postal carrier will scan ALL his packages "delivered" BEFORE he starts out on his route. Then if he runs late or forgets to actually deliver it, he will bring it back to the PO. It may be there sitting on a shelf. Go to your PO to see whether it is there.
    The PO has steps to address this situation.

• silvercomet1
    12 years ago

I'd check to see if the package is sitting at the post office like lindakathy said. Then since you've already checked every other place it might have ended up, I'd call the company and tell them you never received the merchandise and they will need to re-ship or refund you. If they won't do either one, then I'd call your credit card company to dispute the charge since you did not receive what you ordered. I would not try to file a claim with the post office - I'm not even sure you can since you are not the sender of the package.

It's the seller's responsibility to get the merchandise to you - if they want to start a dispute with the delivery service they chose to use, that's fine, but it's nothing to do with you. The company must have decided that it's cheaper for them to deal with some lost packages than to use a delivery service that requires a signature. So, here's where they need to deal with the downside of that decision.

I hope they come through for you (or if they don't, that your credit card does)!

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Did you pay for it with a credit card? Dispute the charge if the seller will not assist you.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Phyllis, the seller controls whether things can be left without signature. I send 3-4 dozen Fed Ex packages and have never had one go astray but I have had many USPS losses. It's funny but I am just now having a UPS issue with something I ordered from Amazon yesterday and paid for the one day shipping, it is not yet here. They shipped it via UPS and just issued a credit for the shipping fee.

• cynic
    12 years ago

"It's the seller's responsibility to get the merchandise to you - if they want to start a dispute with the delivery service they chose to use, that's fine, but it's nothing to do with you.
    (sigh) Here we go again. Wrong. No, it's not the seller's responsibility to get the merchandise to you. There's a chain and apparently one of the links broke. It's the seller's responsibility to get the merchandise to the shipper chosen, which apparently they did. Then it's the shipping company's job to get it to the address specified, which they too seemed to have done by what's been said. There's no evidence of a dispute with the delivery service either since they show it delivered. That puts both of them essentially in the clear and removes them from the issue.

This is a real can of worms. There's multiple problems here. You're kind of caught in the middle and it stinks. This reminds me of rebate checks that aren't received. The end person loses and it's not their fault.

I don't see a claim against the CC company either. Disputing it with the CC company might not be allowed if the seller and/or shipper can show delivery proof. From your description, the skincare company is not liable. The post office is not liable. And you're not liable, though you're likely to get the shaft in the end.

•Problem 1: You had it shipped to your work address. This is strange since most places I've dealt with don't like to ship to an address different than the billing address of the CC, at least on the first order. I kind of understand the theory that it'd come into work, then they'd get it to you and you take it home. I used to do that with one employer but don't anymore.
    •Problem 2: USPS. Need I say more? I've had a lot of lost and misdirected mail together with other problems. I don't trust them. Period.
    •Problem 3: It sounds like they have a tracking number and have "proof" that it was delivered. At that rate, the company (you bought from) and the shipper (USPS) are in the clear. Their job was to ship it, they did. Post office was to deliver which they apparently did. As I understand it's a termination offense (fraud) to scan in something as delivered before it leaves the postal employee's hands. It's also doubtful that they'd do it, since the scanner will scan in the time it is scanned as delivered. It's an easy matter to ask How did you deliver to 28 different places, miles apart, all at the same time? I see them all the time scanning then put it in the mailbox, or hand it to someone, or leave it in the drop box at a company. Also, many companies have scan points that the carrier must scan when they deliver something as a double check that they did, in fact, go into the place and deliver it. (Which is good.)
    •Problem 4: It's a very common scam to claim "I didn't receive this" to get companies to give people free stuff. This is why the post office started carrying scanners. To get back some parcel post deliveries from other carriers that had proof of delivery. Asking them to give you something for free when they can show they delivered it to the address you specified is not likely to happen. Doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting it.
    •Problem 5: I don't agree that it's simply a matter of challenging the charge. It's not always that easy. CC companies will not referee disputes. There's a myth that you can simply challenge the charge and put the burden on the company to prove they did deliver it. Not so. The CC company needs reasonable evidence of non-delivery and once they see a proof of delivery I can't see them withholding payment. If they withhold a legitimate charge, they have to pay the vendor a penalty and the CC companies DO NOT like to do that! It's not a lot of money but they still don't like doing it. The claim of "I didn't receive it" is easily countered here by "proof of delivery" so the CC company cannot legitimately withhold payment without some other reason. Just because your workplace didn't deliver it to you doesn't make the sender, shipper or CC company liable. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see but I'm skeptical they'll let that claim fly and CC companies seldom give you a refund for goodwill purposes.
    •Problem 6: The way it appears from what you've said, your workplace is the responsible party. Whether they'll take responsibility for it or not remains to be seen and I doubt they will. They received it but haven't delivered it to you. I'm not sure what their obligation is to you either especially if it's an item sent to them unordered by them. MN has a law that if I receive something that I didn't order, I can do with it what I please without obligation to the company. This went in effect to counter companies that would ship items then bill you and harangue you until you gave in and paid for it. Your "claim" if any, seems to be against the workplace. And therein lies yet another problem. Your decision to have it delivered there puts the workplace in a bad position. If it's your company, it's a moot point. If you're an employee then you caused them problems by making them the "middle person" in something. Whether they could even be held liable, and whether you'd want to dispute it with an employer if you're not the owner and risk the potential ramifications arising therefrom, I won't speculate.

So there's questions. Could it have been stolen? Possibly. Could it be on a shelf somewhere? Possibly. Could it be someone thought it valuable and locked it up? Doubtful, but could be. I think this should be one of your first steps. Search that place and track where it could be from the point where the post office drops off the stuff to your spot. Ask everyone if they saw a box matching the description. I'd even ask if they saw anyone carry a box matching that description out of the building. Seems pretty clear it came into the building so it's either misplaced or stolen. I don't see any other reasonable options besides possibly, spontaneous combustion. You could look for ashes I guess.

What kind of checks & double checks does the workplace have for handling the receipt and distribution of packages and mail? Scanned in? Logged in anywhere? Anyone responsible for receiving? Where I used to work, when I would have things delivered, everything came in to a central location in the warehouse. They logged everything and carried a clipboard and you would sign for it when they gave it to you. That way if you said "I didn't receive a package/letter or whatever", they checked their delivery log book from when UPS, trucker or whatever company left (often they had their own books) then they'd see if it came in. If it came in, they'd check the clipboard to see if it was on there for delivery to the department or person. Then they could see who signed for it in the end. If you don't have some sort of security in the mail/package handling, it's probably going to be an expensive lesson learned to never go that route again unless you specify deliver to addressee only and require signature with ID.

For $200 worth of items, I'd definitely try everything I could, but this doesn't look good. Your recourse is probably only against your workplace unless someone wants to do something for a goodwill purpose.

Here's where I'd start: I'd try to ascertain the size and description of the package. Any identifying marks? Logos on the box that would stand out? Next step, do you know the postal carrier that delivers there? If not, find out who it is and who delivered on the day it was delivered. When you find out or if you already know them, ask him/her if they remember seeing the package in question and to whom they gave it. They might remember. Then ask the person given the package what they did with it. As I said before ask others around them if they saw it or saw it leave the building. I might even go so far as to ask whoever handles the trash if they saw a box that matched that description. You might luck out and someone could "find" it. Or you might find out someone is a thief. You could also go above the person if you want to make a big deal out of it. Maybe they can help find out if someone stole it, misplaced it or what happened. Don't discount the possibility of it sitting on a cart, shelf or having been put in a cabinet somewhere either. Could be an honest mistake or could be a dishonest intention.

Good luck. I think you're gonna need it.

• houstonmom_gw
    12 years ago

"Problem 1: You had it shipped to your work address. This is strange since most places I've dealt with don't like to ship to an address different than the billing address of the CC, at least on the first order. I kind of understand the theory that it'd come into work, then they'd get it to you and you take it home. I used to do that with one employer but don't anymore."

I disagree with the above statement. I do NOT have things shipped to my home address....I'm not there when shipments are delivered. Not once have I ever been denied a purchase due to the shipping and billing addresses being different. I just have to enter both addresses. Perhaps if you worked in a very large office with inept front desk help is could be an issue, but that statement is inaccurate. No one should "worry" about purchasing something off the internet because they want to have it shipped somewhere other than their home.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I disagree with that statement as well, I have 100% of my orders sent to my husband's business from December thru March. Before I moved my office home I had everything sent to my office. I do the same for my boss, everything I order for him goes to his office address. We seldom have things go astray. But having things sent to my home address I have had 2 things go missing in the past 2 months (and both were sent UPS). In all fairness I guess only 1 is missing, one is late.

And it IS the seller's problem, his issue may be with the shipping vendor that the seller chose to use, but it is absolutely NOT the buyer's problem. Dispute it on your card.