SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

What to include in a letter to your survivors/will's executor?

pammyfay
13 years ago

I have a will, living will/medical directive; they're in 3 places: a copy in a place in my home that my executor (really, executrix!) will easily find, an original in my safety deposit box, and another original at the lawyer's office.

Now I am updating a letter that will have specific details of such things as financial accounts, where to find my safety deposit box and what's in it, policy information, burial stuff, etc. A copy will be available for my executrix (she already has a copy of my house key), and she'll find it easily, too.

Have you done this? What types of things would you include in the letter? Can you name some things that perhaps a family member did not tell you before his/her death that you wish you'd been told?

Or, if you've not written all this stuff for your executor's use, how will you be communicating all this financial info that you know how to find every day but that someone else might not be able to?

(I included a few lines regarding some family "heirlooms," because I didn't really include that in the will--in that, I just said the executrix should figure out what to do with everything. I figure that by the time my survivors look at the will, they'll already have grabbed what they want! The only big thing that I included in the will is who gets my surviving pet.)

Comments (26)