SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What Pictures do You Have Hanging in Your Bedroom?

I have horse pictures, a very, very old picture that says Home Sweet Home, got it from my Mother and a very, very old picture of the Virgin Mary. My husband has copies of autographed pictures of cowboys. He has the originals stored away. How about you, what is on your bedroom wall?

Sue

Comments (38)

• User
    10 years ago

I have my husband's picture and my son, and a large picture of 2 kids sitting at the beach looking at the water, His arm is around her.

• Sally Brownlee
    10 years ago

I have portraits of both grandparents, and my parents sitting on top of dresser.
    Over the desk I have a photo of SO sitting in car at the start line when he drove Top Fuel dragsters.
    Over another dresser is an oil painting a friend gave me that was salvaged from his store in New Orleans after Katrina.

• Related Discussions

What sort of lights do you have in your bedroom?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, We are renovating our house and looking for new lighting / ceiling fan / lamps / etc. Just trying to get ideas for the bedrooms. so... what type have lights have you got in the bedroom. Thanks
    ...See More

Bedroom chair -- do you use yours?

Q

Comments (30)
    I agree, a palm would probably look nice ... if someone else lived here! We aren't "plants" people. (I tend to kill them. Unintentionally, of course.) Plus, even if we were, that room is really pretty dark most of the time. I'd have to find a plant that prefers caves over light. And then it would get dusty, and then I would hate it, and then it would die. Bye-bye, plant. "Fake" would be even worse. DH would make fun of it incessently and it would get depressed and suicidal. Not the vibe I want in my MBR. :-) No, I think a chair or perhaps the leaning ladder is the way to go. But gk5040, you're right, there's not that much room so the chair has to be big enough but not too big. I remember long ago when my grandmother came to see my first apartment. She could not BELIEVE I didn't have a chair in my bedroom. "Where do you sit?" was her question. She could not fathom a bedroom without a chair. Maybe if it was on MY side I'd be inspired to actually go in there and sit. But there's not enough room over there for anything more than a dining room type chair. Must continue to haunt craigslist!
    ...See More

What do you have hanging on your wall over your sofa??

Q

Comments (18)
    I know how hard can be to choose something to have there. From what you describe, an abstract painting would go nice there, but here is another idea. Over my living room sofa, I have a big gold mirror (35x42) with two other small sunburst mirrors (12x12, and 9x9) it looks great, but I just had a custom made mirror-window, in wood and black ( 32x42) for my dining room, and I like it so much that I am thinking about switching it with the big mirror over my living room sofa. I think the mirror-window would look great in your space. I had seen it in stores, but not exactly as I wanted it, but you can find it online. I would also suggest if you are not really sure, get any type of mirror. canôt go wrong with a mirror!! Let me know what you think. Good luck!!
    ...See More

If you have a bedroom you want to do....

Q

Comments (18)
    LOL Well I thought of that but decided to leave it in. Take it as you wish. The oo was intended though. I really must learn to text but have a hard time even using the cell to make a call. It is my husbands job to run it I do the computers.
    ...See More
  • OklaMoni
    10 years ago

My Chinese girlfriend did this scissor cut for me
    {{!gwi}}

and this is a collage of my favorite people
    {{!gwi}}

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Hanging, none. Our master has a silk look off white wall paper and I'm terrified of it - the only things I've hung in the last year are two large pine framed mirrors over their matching bachelors chests. The top-railed 4 poster bed adds some height, interest to the other wall, a garden window takes up the third. 4th wall is extra wide entrance to the master bath vanity, also is linen closet with some built in shelving above the television nook near the bed, I have a few family photos framed on the shelves, but nothing hanging on the walls. For the most part, the garden view windows are my art....

• dees_1
    10 years ago

None. I'm a decorating failure. We have a picture from our wedding on a nightstand, a white pencil on black paper sketch of a beloved dog (that was black so it was a challenge for the artist....came out gorgeous) and a picture my husband took in Mexico of a young child sitting in a bucket surrounded by colorfully painted wooden plates. It won him first place in a photography contest.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

what a fun question!

I have:
    an old pastel of a stream or creek in the woods;
    an elderly lady gave it to my father in the late 1950's.

a Victorian-looking print of big cabbage roses in a bowl.

a poster-sized enlargement in a nice frame of a photo my mother took when she & her sister had a layover in London on their 'Holy Land' trip.
    It shows a wrought iron fence with a placard that says "(Our Name) Square".
    In the foreground people are bustling along the sidewalk;
    I tell people that the nice-looking blonde guy in the overcoat is Prince William!

a big picture, illustration-style, of irises-
    irises make me smile.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

I don't have anything on the bedroom wall. Does paint count? lol But we do have pictures in the other room. In the den we have one of a ship, the living room there is a picture of a raccoon and a scene. I'm also a decorating disaster. Several pictures of the grandchildren on table tops and dresser.
    Mary

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I have on my bedroom walls:

beach-themed pictures I have painted

Catholic symbols

my deceased husband's framed shadowbox of nautical knots

• blfenton
    10 years ago

We have inks. One from San Francisco, one from Sydney Australia and one from London England.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I have a series of 3 black and white photos of my daughter at her wedding: looking out at the ocean from a French window ready to walk down the aisle, dancing with her father, kissing her new husband. I also have a yellow and blue print of a vase and flowers. Both in white frames, keeping with the blue and white color scheme.

• wanda_va
    10 years ago

I have an oil painting of a field of Texas bluebonnets...painted by my Aunt Wanda, who was an artist.

A caricature of DH, which was done by an artist friend.

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

Lets see on one wall we have 2 windows and between them I have hung my mirror to my bedroom set, above it I have wrought iron fleur de lis (sp) on another the tv. Behind the bed is a big wrought painted wrought iron square with 2 panels that match it on either side of it. On the last wall I have a double door entrance to the master bath with candle scones on either side..I have more stuff on the walls than I thought...lol

• Lily316
    10 years ago

I have a ton of stuff. Let's see what I remember without going in the room. In the back above the 175 year old high poster bed are about 12 white antique planter boxes kids used to make in the teens and 1920's . I have four big windows, a large armoire, and a fireplace so not a lot of wall space. On another wall I have old samplers, old family marriage certificates, and two framed watercolors done by my daughter of our house at two different angles.

• jel48
    10 years ago

I agree, this is a fun thread! I have several 11 x 14 dark wood frame, each with a matted 8 x 10 of a single flowers. Most are clematis, one a rose. They're all photos that I took in my own garden several years ago.

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

Let me think. Over the bed is a matching, but different, pair of very old framed paintings of soft colored flowers, in oblong frames. I bought these at an auction probably 50 years ago, for a dollar each. I think they are beautiful.

On a side wall there is a framed print of a painting that my DD bought me at the annual art show here in town ten or so years ago. It is a single humming bird; she saw me admiring it, and it became my birthday gift that year. On the wall opposite the bed there are two oval framed prints. One is a young girl skipping rope; the other is a young boy flying a kite; they would probably be 8-9 years old, dressed very nicely. These were given to my DH and me as a Christmas gift by our DS and his DW, the first year after they were married. (Note: Everybody has a story; in my case, every picture has a story also.) After I had gotten a good look at these two pictures, I commented that they were just like our two children. Our DS telling us to "go fly a kite," and the DD telling us to "Just skip it." And I'm sure there were times when they wished they could have done that. They are grown, almost retired now. DS became a GGF recently.

Sorry this is so long, but the topic brought out all these sentiments.

Thanks for asking, Marilyn Sue.

Sue

Edited to correct the wording.

This post was edited by Sue-va on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 19:42

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm.......none.

• chessey24
    10 years ago

I have family pictures on one wall. Several large ones - a painting from Bermuda, a sailboat poster, a sailing ship done in cross-stitch DD made for her Dad, another boat picture, a bird photograph done by a friend, a picture from Hawaii, a smaller bird painting, and a photograph of a comet over the door taken by DH

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

This is a fun and interesting thread.

I have 3 pictures. One is an oil painting of a Martha Washington geranium done by my sister-in-law's sister. She did it from a photograph I took and sent to her.

The other two are watercolor paintings. One I did myself and one I bought when I was on Chincoteague Island years ago.

• nicole__
    10 years ago

Sand Dollar by Cyndi Schick:

French Country botanicals by S. Hely:

Stained glass hanging in an upper window:

• kris_zone6
    10 years ago

I have a picture of an Echinacea (purple coneflower) plant in bloom with a Goldfinch sitting on one of the flowers. I found this in a local art gallery several years ago and since I have both the flower and bird in my garden just had to have it.

• lydia1959
    10 years ago

I have a old window with the Eiffel tower painted on the glass over my bed. There are 2 shadowboxes I made which include pictures of my grandmothers and some of their jewelry. Also I have a framed invitation from DH's and my wedding, a reproduction yard-long rose print and a vintage mirror.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

No pictures..
    2 mirrors
    One folk art hanging of the moon.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

Here is one of many, I painted it and it is done with a palette knife...

• MiMi
    10 years ago

this is hanging beside the one above

• Kathsgrdn
    10 years ago

A few pastel drawings I bought in Germany and France: Burg Etlz, Strasburg France, two street scenes in Paris; a drawing of Alex as a killer whale from Marine World (which really makes me sad after seeing a documentary recently about a killer whale), and a picture frame with some pictures of our exchange students...the first two...I keep meaning to add to it with the last two's pictures but am lazy and haven't done it yet. The same pictures are there that I put up when the room was made up for the first two exchange students.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Strange, I never thought about that subject before. We have no pictures on the walls of our bedroom, but do have a two sitting on the dresser. These are photos taken us before we married. She is in her wedding dress and mine is my college graduation portrait. We were so young back then - sigh!

We do have pictures in other rooms, mostly the living room. There are the usual family members on various pieces of furniture. I have a portrait of my great grandmother that was made just after the Civil War. On the back wall is a large oil painting of the Pacific Ocean made by my nephew from memory when he was 18. His parents went on a family trip after he graduated from HS and he was taken by the vastness of the ocean. It was his first view of an ocean.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I have what I have read at other times a HUGE NO NO; pictures of my 3 kids, from 6mos to 6th grade. They line one entire wall. Over my bed I have a wedding memory quilt made by relatives and friends of my husbands and me and given to us at our wedding rehearsal dinner. I also have all the necessary Catholic accoutrements, a needle point of hot air balloons given as a wedding present to commemorate our wedding theme and a large photograph of us on our wedding day. My vanity mirror and two windows round out the walls.

• jel48
    10 years ago

I'm enjoying seeing the pictures everyone has uploaded. Here is one of the photographs hanging over my head board.

• susanjf_gw
    10 years ago

de grazia prints (my mother's which we hung for her when she lived here) and one print yet to hung from a artist pal...and lots of grand pictures...

in the master, 3 oils...2 from a lady my mother knew and one from another friend...poor things all need a good cleaning...they're all from the 60's...

not hung but framed, are some water colors of roses, painted by an actor friend , again from the 60's...Donald foster...I've wanted t put them up for years but never have had the "right space"...

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

A needlepoint owl made for me by my sister and this tapestry that I bought many years ago.

• maxmom96
    10 years ago

Small bedroom, so not much space. However I do have two watercolors, purchased at a local art fair. One is the head and neck (most of it) of a giraffe. When I purchased it I told the artist I would enjoy waking up with morning to see her (the giraffe.) He said that was as good a compliment as an artist could get.

I also have a 3 x 5 world map, that is sort of in an out-of-the-way spot, but handy to me. I refer to it quite often. Love having it there.

Over my bed I have a six-foot long shelf with various things on it: some books, a basket, some small folded paper houses, a pair of old wooden shoe molds, several icons, etc.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

We have a pen and ink fox hunting scene, a water color of the flower bleeding hearts, both of which were gifts from my father-in-law. A Hawaiian beach scene photo taken on our honeymoon. A small ceramic tile with a stylized image of a Coatimundi that we bought when we were visiting Iguassu Falls in Brazil, And a large version of the following image taken at the top of the largest portion of Iguassu Falls.

This is a picture of a Coatimundi. It looks like a raccoon that was caught in a taffy puller.

• liz
    10 years ago

Our bedroom is mostly a conglomeration of photographs taken by my late Father In Law...he had a keen eye for sunsets, buildings, flowers, birds...but this one just took up residence this summer...My hubster says it's the nicest thing I've ever done for him in 33 years of marriage...it was something I caught on the Collie facebook page and it also came with a video of Jon signing it...it wasn't that expensive and I knew I had to get it for hubster...I quickly threw it in a frame and got it hung up! It says..."Greg, stay with the collie breed" Timmy/Jon Provost...

• lindaohnowga
    10 years ago

None on the bedroom walls, but I have pictures on the dresser of my parents and several of our daughter.

Our diningroom wall however is covered with picture frames of the grandkids and greatgrandkids. Several pictures in the livingroom of us (hubby and me) and of our daughter and her hubby. And above the mantle is a big picture of the best dog I ever had....our Bear.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Two huge relaxing, you can hear-the-waves-and-wind-beach scenes, a shadow box that holds the outfit my little premie boy wore home from the hospital, and a poem my father wrote.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Here's some of mine.

{{gwi:619380}}

This hangs above my closet,and it's the first landscape wall hanging class I took from Linda Schmidt,who now teaches at quilt university online.

I thought I had more pictures than these,guess I never uploaded them to PB.
    Kathi

• bengardening
    10 years ago

Since I am Catholic, I have a large rosary that my parents brought back from Rome and an old crucifix that is was used for the sick. and a picture of the Blessed v Virgin Mary and the Sacred Heart. I also have my in-laws marriage certificate from 1947. Her First Holy Communion certificate from 1936. I also have his baptismal certificate from 1924. The last two are in German. His says Taufshein on it. I didn't know if it was his baptismal or birth certificate. I always thought it said Caufshein because of the lettering I couldn't tell. I had to look it up to see which one it was. I didn't know the Lutherans baptized their babies that young. He turned Catholic before they got married. They have beautiful pictures on them so I think they are art all on their own.