SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Great Service Experiences (GSE's) - Not!

chisue
13 years ago

We've had a very mild autumn. No need for A/C (or heat until a week ago). I was looking forward to low electric bills for the months of September and October.

The September bill seemed rather high, but not astoundingly so. The bill for October's useage just arrived. It is DOUBLE the kilowatt hours charged for the same period in 2009. (These are 'actual read' numbers, not estimated.)

I went to read the meter. It does show a tad more now than the reader reported Wednesday, so he read it correctly. However, the meter is spinning wildly, and there is nothing drawing heavy power in the house. We've added nothing big since last year either.

When I called the utility company yesterday afternoon I was told the 'wait time' was between 29 and 45 minutes. (Great Service Experience #1)

In 30 minutes my call was answered by a rep. She insisted on telling me all the numbers on the bill I was holding in my hand. (Duh!) She said my useage 'was not out of line' or their computer would have 'caught it'.

I asked to have my meter checked. Oh, there's a PROCEDURE! (GSE #2) First, the meter has to be read. Never mind that it was read Wednesday! The PROCEDURE has to start with my call to complain, and I didn't call until I got the statement the day AFTER it was read.

OK, when can they read my meter? Oh, not until the regular reading a month from now. (GSE #3) Good thing we aren't talking about a gas problem, eh?

And what happens after the meter is read? Then a work order will be 'put through' requesting a check of our meter. That could take several weeks, even months. (GSE #4)

I called our electrician. He stopped me midsentence. He's getting calls from all his customers about this. He could come to see if there's a problem in the house, but he can't touch the utility company's meter. ($90 to show up.)

Here are some readings from 2010:

July Useage 2739 kWh

Aug. Useage 895 kWh

Sept Useage 1236 kWh

Oct. Useage 2152 kWh (Oct. Useage in 2009 - 1078 kWh)

Comments (6)