SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Giving them what they want vs. what you want

alisande
16 years ago

My granddaughter, a lovely, wonderful girl in every way, is very much in touch with today's pop culture. From a young age she's had the latest cell phone, iPod, etc. Over the years I've tried to choose Christmas gifts that expand her knowledge and inspire creativity. She's very artistic, and in fact wants to major in graphic arts in college. She's a high school junior, a couple of months away from turning 17.

I suspect most of my Christmas gift choices were flops. I love to give books, but she doesn't love to read. She likes scrapbooking, so one year I gave her a subscription to a scrapbooking magazine and a gift card from AC Moore. She never spent the gift card, and probably didn't open the magazines either. That's just one example of my efforts. Buying clothes for her is always dicey because what I like might not be what she likes.

This year she and her mother (my daughter) told me all she wants for Christmas is a red and black hand-held Nintendo and the Brain Age game for it. She really doesn't want anything else because she already has so much stuff. This makes her sound rather overindulged, I know, but really, she doesn't act at all like a spoiled child. And she never said she expected me to give it to her. If I choose to give her something else, she'll be gracious about it.

My dilemma is that I want to give her something she'll use and enjoy, but I have an old-fashioned aversion to buying expensive (relatively speaking) electronic toys that simply amuse. I'd much rather do something like get theater tickets and give her an evening out with Grammy. But that, too, could be a dud.

I have the feeling it's time for me to admit abandon my mission and order the Nintendo.

What would you do?

Susan

Comments (14)