SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindie_mi

Times Change on the Internet

12 years ago

Get ready to be bored! Back in 1995 or 96, upon first going on the internet, you could Google all kinds of advice about joining a forum, newsgroup, or chat room. Almost invariably, the advice would center around lurking for some time and getting the "feel" of the place, deciding if it was for you, starting slowly and seeking to fit in.

This isn't chastisement, but simply remembering. If you want to flame me, go ahead, but this is the way things were. Some of you may recall this and still abide by it today. But society as a whole has changed. Many, in all parts of life, are no longer polite but into their rights and a feeling of entitlement. Not much can be done about it.

I started on a newsgoup, as a matter of fact, it was alt.fan.johndenver. There was just a small group who got to know and really enjoy one another. When a new member joined in, he/she was warmly welcomed, but there always was a problem with trolls. (I'm not calling anyone here a troll!!!) These folks came in only to disrupt, use vile language, and weren't the least interested in the subject matter. They'd disappear as quickly as they appeared, so that doesn't relate to what's happening on the KT.

Then John Denver died in a plane crash. Overnight, we went from 10-20 posts daily to literally a thousand or more. It was like an invasion. Most were nice, some weren't, but the fact was that I couldn't even find the old group in-between all the posts. Everything changed and it was very upsetting.

I have a personality that fights change, especially the huge ones which come all at once. It's not being against change except for overwhelming suddenness and rudeness. Subject matter which was never broached before. Surely anyone can at least understand that without sneering.

Anyway, where was I going? Oh, I don't know! Maybe realize that some people here are downright hurting at the sudden change. Maybe being kind and understanding of that. This is probably a stupid post. If so, I am sorry.

Comments (20)