SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Do You Let Your Pets on Your Bed?

Jasdip
12 years ago

We do. The 2 boys sleep on the bed most of the day. At night when I go to bed, the 3 of them lead me to bed. I get ready and we 2 of the 3 cats jump on the bed, and the 3rd gets in the window. He loves the cold air.

One cat usually sleeps beside my pillow, one at my side or my feet. The 3rd alternates between the window and bed.

King size beds are great!

Comments (61)

• Granlan_TX
    12 years ago

I miss having a snuggle buddy. The two cats I adopted this summer at age 1 1/2 years were not used to being in bed with their first owners I guess.

When I have had them in my bedroom, they will usually keep me awake by moving around too much. Only one will sometimes get in bed with me, but doesn't settle for a long period of time.

Terilyn, sorry but I had to LOL about you not being able to get your sleep number right. :)

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

Flamingo,

What did you tell the cats to get them to do that!!!

Elmo sleeps on HIS pillow between Eric and my pillows. Ara sleeps on my hip or feet. Stewie curls into my armpit if he is cold, otherwise he sleeps on the chest at the end of the bed, on Eric's feet or in the hall. Bugsy sleep all over the house- Elmo and Ara still do NOT like him in THEIR bed and run him off when possible. Occasionally, I wake up to a fuzzy critter nosing under the covers and find Bugsy headed for my feet.

• Related Discussions

Let's see your pets

Q

Comments (52)
    I've got a leather jaket that I originally got for Grover. But he doesn't fit into it because he has become my Buddah Belly Boy. He's gained like a pound in the year that I have had them(a pound is alot when your that small), he's about two and a half, maybe three pounds now. I should see if Zoey will let me put it on her! Hmmmmm..... here wezil, wezil, wezil!!LOL Manda in Seattle
    ...See More

See what letting your captive pets go in the wild can do?

Q

Comments (4)
    In the school system of where I live, the sixth graders do an "ecosystem project." They either catch or buy, usually the latter, some herp or fish or something and put it in a cage for 3 weeks. They watch it and make observations. I've always kinda disliked this project, because 90% of the kids have no idea what they're doing. Anyway, at the end, many of them don't want the pets, and instead of giving them away or back to the pet store, they let them go in the local creeks. They're usually anoles, green treefrogs, house geckos, etc. I hate it when kids do that, and I've volunteered to take some of the unwanted pets. I know these aren't a big problem, but I don't want the herps to die, or have some sort of an impact on the local habitats. There are some good parts of the project, and it's what got me into herps. A little offtrack, but kinda related.
    ...See More

Do you let your cleaning person near your new kitchen appliances?

Q

Comments (53)
    Agree with eleena. In my bathroom, I can't get the cleaner for the tile on the mirror, or the faucet cleaner on the floor, or the floor cleaner on the faucet. You can't clean the whole thing without a damn spreadsheet. Teasing aside, having a simple cleaning service is not an upper class thing, at least not for two-job households. However, the reality is, having an intelligent, reliable cleaning person is an upper-class luxury, unless you happen to be lucky. I would love to have a touchup every week or two. However, I remember what the cleaning people did at my mom's place when she got sick and couldn't do it all herself. Each week, something new was broken, scratched, stained or missing. She couldn't afford to supplement the housekeeper's income by running out and buying new carpets or collectibles or lamps on a weekly basis--which is precisely what you are doing if you allow someone to break something in your house without paying for it. She lucked out for a while with an old Italian lady who cleaned like she did, but for the most part they were more trouble and money than they were worth. Now, if you can afford real staff, then you can get into human resources techniques. But if you can't, then you're not the employer, just a customer, and you take what you get.
    ...See More

Do you unplug your tree when you leave the house if you have pets?

Q

Comments (26)
    Over 50 years ago, my parents had a cat. Every Christmas, we would find Mehitabel (yes, named for the famous cat in the book, Archie and Mehitabel) sitting on a sturdy branch, right up against the trunk of the tree, staring at us like the Cheshire cat. Now this was a tree with that old-fashioned tinsel put on it, lovingly one or two pieces at a time (it took forever!), and not one strand was out of place. We never saw Mehitabel get up in the tree, nor did we ever witness her descent. She looked quite lovely with her eyes "glowing" from the tree lights! She was quite a character. None of our cats ever got up IN the tree, but they did knock it over during the night one time (nasty old-style Christmas tree stand). We tied it to something from then on and never again heard that unmistakable sound in the middle of the night.
    ...See More
  • linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I used to let my cat or cats sleep with me but Peggy Sue can't be still. She has to get on my dresser or nightstand and knock things off.
    Lila has a bed on the floor in my room. In the mornings she jumps up on the bed when she knows I am awake. This morning she got on my bed and I wanted to sleep a little longer. She snuggled up next to my back and kept me warm. If it hadn't been for Peggy Sue meowing loudly outside my door, Lila and I could have really slept in.
    I used to think it was so strange that people let dogs on the bed and then I got Lila 3 months ago and my thinking changed.

• User
    12 years ago

You betcha..not only are they allow on the bed but if they want, our Doxies are allowed under the covers. We have an absolutely dog friendly home in every respect. Except they better go outside to go potty! No exceptions to this rule and they have a little bell that they have been trained to ring when they have to go outside to potty.

• cynic
    12 years ago

Can't really imagine having conventional pets and not letting them on the bed with you.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    12 years ago

....as opposed to a snake or lizard Cynic? Yuck!! Can you imagine!!! Shiver....

• Granlan_TX
    12 years ago

Lazypup, funny but I just heard the meaning of a 3 dog night the other day. :)

BTW, I've known the original Three Dog Night manager for years (he now lives in Amarillo), but never had the above information until recently when I was chatting with him and some others. :)

• heather_on
    12 years ago

Mine get to sleep with us too. Now if they had fleas, that would be another story. I'm allergic to fleas.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

You bet, that's the best part of having pets! We now have anywhere from 2-5 cats in bed with us every night and now that we have the other two kittens we hope it will be 7! LOL!!!!

Flamingo, I am Woody in the household. I am relegated to a sliver of bed and if I get up to go to the bathroom I can guarantee you that I don't have a place when I get back. I've already had to go to the couch!

Terilyn, I really laughed at the sleep number comment!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

No! They sleep out in the Florida room. The Chi will climb under the covers when she gets the chance, but is moved as soon as I discover her - I'm a 'mean Mom', some would say!

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

Oh yes and we only have a double bed....But at present, we just have the fat cat, Kaylee, in the bed during the night and she's either on my chest or has to lay at my side with my arm around her......Kelly has a fleece blanket at the bottom of the bed and Baylee, the littlest cat, sleeps in the bathroom, only because she still terrorizes the other 2 and this way, everyone can get some sleep.....Before our Clancy passed, he was my snuggler and had to be under the blanket with me holding him...He's been gone almost a year and during the night, I can still feel his paw on my cheek and miss him terribly.......
    There are times when they're all a pain in the butt but I'd hate to think of life without them......

• vala55
    12 years ago

KayJones, I am with you on that. I even have trouble letting them run loose in the house when I am gone.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

No I don't. I love my four cats (two of then weigh over 20 pounds) and my two dogs but NO ONE sleeps with me and they never have. They aren't even on the same floor with me. Occasionally I have taken an afternoon 30 minute nap, and my cat Phoebe loves it as she spends part of her day in the back bedroom. She sits on my head, purrs in my ears , grooms me, constantly moves around in different positions.. so NO to night time. My Doxie does not go upstairs since i live in a very old farmhouse and both flights of stairs are very steep..not good for his back. My upstairs is cold ..just the way I like it, so they don't even want to be up there. The dogs have crates filled with pillows and blankets, the cats have beds all around the house plus the furniture but they usually camp out by the woodstove where they lay in a pile. I need uninterrupted sleep, but now I feel like a bad pet mom.

• jannie
    12 years ago

My dog Molly the Wheaten terrier sleeps in bed with me every night. She's clean because I get her groomed frequently.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Our Westie is allowed 'up' three places in the house: 'His' chair in the library with the view of the front yard; The chaise in the MBR; His bed on the bench at the foot of our bed.

However...we like to have a bedroom window open, summer and winter. If Eliot gets cold he'll come up to the head of the bed to be let in between the duvet and the light blanket under it. He knows to crawl down to the foot of our bed.

No animal is going to sleep on my pillow or my sheets -- or on ME!

• goldy
    12 years ago

My dog Smokey sleeps with me.He is my best Friend.Some times he bothers me and I throw him on the floor and he whines so I have to lift him back.I have a big bed and it sets high off the floor.The second time around he knows how to act.Tell me animals don't have good sense

• country_bumpkin_al
    12 years ago

Gracie becomes a growth on me once we go to bed. She's a snuggle-bug and will get as close to me as she possibly can. Jasper likes being on the bed, he just likes his own space. Abbie is fickle. Sometimes she sleeps with me, sometimes sleeps with Andy..and other times, she sleeps on the daybed in the livingroom. CeCe gets wherever HE wants! lol

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

Our pets are only allowed in our bedroom when we are in there during the day. At night the dog sleeps in his kennel which is more like his room since I keep his food and water in there and he has access all day. The cat sleeps with the kids or wanders around the house.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

I slept with a dog for almost three years, and if memory serves me correct, I was even intimate with her a few times,,,,until I found out she had a boyfriend, so I threw here out an filed a divorce.

• Chi
    12 years ago

I have 3 cats and if I let them in my room at night, they keep me awake. One of them has a urinary problem so they are on canned food exclusively now and they are constantly hungry. They think my sole reason for existence is to feed them every hour and they will walk on me, sit on my head, knock things over and cry until I get up and feed them, lol.

The problem is that if I close my door, they will sit outside the door and howl and scratch at the carpet. So I either have them walking on my head or damaging my apartment at night.

So what's the solution? I had to build a moat outside my room. Oh yes. Right outside my bedroom door is a giant sheet pan full of an inch of water. I have to step over it every time I go in and out of my bedroom but it keeps the cats away from the door at night and I finally get some sleep. :)

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

A moat? Now, THAT is funny! And rather ingenious, too. Have you ever forgotten and gotten your feet wet in the morning? lolol

Janie and Lynn, our cats are fickle. They might be all piled up on Woody this week/month, but it won't last. Seems like they take turns crippling us. :) He puts out a lot of heat and right now they are liking that, so he's the main man for now. Parker will come over and make bread on me some nights for an hour or so, she wants a cuddle and a snuggle and likes me to talk to her during all that. Goofy cat!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes the kneading of bread. Roxie just doesn't lay on me, she has to knead for a while. She's by far the smallest cat, yet when she pushes her head under your hand to pet her, she's as strong as anything.

But is hilarious. He comes up, puts his head down on the bed, and just drops his body against me. He's not big.....14 lbs but solid body. So THUD! I often grunt and he wakes me up if I'm sleeping. He doesn't care where he drops.....against my side or beside my head. And he'll do it more than once.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Omigosh, Chi83 that is the most original and hysterical thing I have heard for a very long time! I thought our boys were spoiled, yours have mine beat by a mile and a half!

Flamey, I wish ours were, but they just hang with me at bedtime. If I get up and head downstairs 3 of them come with me and curl up with me. One of them is Moosie, at 23#, he pushes me with his head. Dude (22#) also comes along and he is the whiner. Bob is the smallest of the three, he's only 12# but he is the breadmaker.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

lazypup, you always crack me up! Georgy is pretty big, but she has yet to figure out how to jump up on things, She gently starts to climb up in my lap when I'm watching T.V. but I always have to help her up. She can't get in the car (although she really has no desire there either). I generally have to lift her up and she's over 60 lbs. So, the answer is no. She has her own bed and is happy with that.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL those stories are funny!!! Chi, good for you for stopping the problem!!! Smudge doesn't like closed doors....he will sit there and paw at that darned door. Both paws, like a drummer.

Lynn, Dude whining! That's hilarious. What do you mean that Bob is your breadmaker? Do you show him?

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I noticed that several who say they don't let their pets on their bed (which is your choice, of course) didn't really say why. Some have, but not others. I'm curious. Is it because they take up too much room, or they keep you awake, or what?

• dianamo_1
    12 years ago

I have a small dog (Angel) and a large dog (Benny).

Angel sleeps in bed with me all night. But, Benny will jump up on the bed and lay there for about a half hour or so, then decides he wants down. He prefers the floor or his big dog bed. He alternates.

Angel has a ramp that my hubby built for her to get up on the bed.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I don't have my pets in bed for a number of reasons. First I have six, and two of the cats weigh as much as the 2 dogs..24 pounds. So right there..that's almost 100 pounds of pets and add the other two cats..22 more. Second is I can't sleep with animals walking on my back, cats kneading my stomach, meowing , and licking my face and third...who knows if they were just in their litter boxes. But if I did sleep with them, if would be cats because they are more cuddly and squishy than my bony dogs

• Chi
    12 years ago

Oh I have definitely forgotten it's there and ended up with wet feet! That water gets really cold! It's a small price to pay though. It's the ONLY thing that has worked.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

Yes, but with a small easily-washable-kitty-blanket on top of the bedspread for them to sleep on. That way the bedspread stays fur-free.

Love to wake up to a cuddling kitty keeping me warm.

• Chi
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of pics. It's an eyesore but luckily my bedroom is in the back of the house down a hallway so none of our guests have to see it, haha. The sheet pan is also history for anything else as it got really rusty and gross. I had to add the laundry basket too because they are wide doors and if there's even an inch of available space by the door, they will squeeze in and start clawing at the door. And the towel underneath cause Monkey likes to splash in the water.

The first is Monkey wondering why I'm standing in the hallway instead of feeding him, and the second pic is all 3 being mad that my door is closed. I will often open my door in the morning and see all three of them camped out and waiting for me, lol.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Cute...

• vala55
    12 years ago

I will tell you why I don't. My toy poodle was laying on the couch beside me while I was watching TV. When she got down for some reason I looked where she had been laying there was a tapeworm about 8 inches long. No way am I going to sleep with an animal.

• socks
    12 years ago

Sometimes Daisy the cat gets under the covers with me in the night but doesn't stay long. Guess she just wants to warm up a bit. When I visit my son, his Westie sleeps on the bed with me.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Awww, socks, that dog has your number! He surely welcomes the attention now he has 'competition' from the baby. Is he good with the little guy? Our Westies would put up with *anything* until 'Baby' was walking. Then they would object to fur and ear pulling with a low "Grrr" and leave the room.

Eliot has a little time left to endure our DGD. She's just started to crawl. However, she's a big girl, 20 lbs., and outweighs him.

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

Jasdip- a "breadmaker" is a cat that kneads and kneads on you, I think it's a throwback to when they nursed on their mothers. My best breadmakers are Nosey Parker, who was taken from her mother at age 2 weeks, along with the rest of the litter and Murphy, who wasn't. The other 3 only do it occasionally and without the zest and zeal of the others, who will do it for hours. It feels kind of neat, unless their nails are too sharp.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

My first maine coon was named Timmy, his mom died and I took him in when he was 4 weeks old. MCs mature very slowly so they are not taken from their moms until they are at least 12 weeks and often 14-16 weeks of age. Timmy was so tiny he fit in the palm of my hand, he imprinted on me and until the day he died he would suckle on my ear when he was frightened. When he was a baby I would go to bed wearing earmuffs.

• deamn
    12 years ago

Yes they do. Bailey(dog..shih tzu)sleeps in between me and DH and if DH isn't home then she is cozied up on my right side. Mini(cat)sleeps by my feet and sometimes curled up by my left side, unless Maddie(cat)is there first. Maddie is my nightly velcro. She will curl up beside me and I must have my arm outstretched and she will put her paws on my arm. If there is any indication that I might turn over, get up etc., I feel the claws ever so gently in my arm!!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Flamingo. I'd never heard of an actual "title" for the kneading thing.

LOL Lynn and your earmuffs. The things we all do for the fur-kids!

• socks
    12 years ago

Chisue--Oski has turned out to be a good little pup, beloved and enjoyed by the family and even the neighbors. He has been good with the baby, but I've heard a couple under-the-breath grumbles for which he gets scolded pretty quick. Something about that "petting" which turns into pinching! If Eliot is like Oski, he will develop appropriate evasive techniques when baby is on her feet.

Breadmaking! That's a great term, so appropriate.

• lovemymimi
    12 years ago

Some of these stories are hilarious!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...my Mimi lets us live with her...lol!

Once she gets positioned on the bed, I'd better not even try to get her to budge!

If she was a breed that shed, there'd be no way I'd want her on anything by the floor and only because of allergy issues that I have.

• chubby_rat
    12 years ago

No, I don't let them on "my" bed...but they very kindly let me and Larry on theirs! LOL! 6 dogs and 2 cats.Makes a Kingsize bed seem small.The other 2 cats sleep in the LR becausse they're haters.They hate all the dogs and other cats.Like people but not other animals.

• vala55
    12 years ago

I could never sleep under those circumstances. I have to much pain in my lower back and rotator cuff. I have 2 body pillows that take care of both pains.

• amyfiddler
    12 years ago

OOOOH no. Never.

My kids didn't ever sleep in our bed either -

So here are the reasons. Dog smell. Worms. Heirarchy. Shedding. Space.

I can't imagine my Boxer in my bed....

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Yes, our Golden sleeps in bed with us, on his own blanket, usually squashing my feet.

After Quincy, our other Golden, had to be put to sleep I was devastated and still grieving when we got Maxwell. Stupid me spent Maxwell's first day here in bed, cuddling. I can only blame myself but I do wish he wouldn't get on the bed.

The cats I don't mind so much.

• Tally
    12 years ago

LOL! In our house it's more a case of the pets letting US sleep in the bed :)

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Caesar sleeps in his kennel at night, we can't get a good
    nights rest with that boulder in the bed. However, every morning,
    after his first going out of the day, I put him in our bed and he stays
    with us a few more hours. We aren't early risers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I thought you all would like the attached video, if you haven't seen it already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simon's cat....in bed

• suzieque
    12 years ago

Oh, rhizo - I literally laughed out loud! Every movement is absolutely spot on.

• kathy_
    12 years ago

When I was a teen we had a dog named Scooby. She was a great bed dog and would curl behind my legs and we both slept great.
    Fast forward a few years (sic) and now I have Jetty dog. He is 57 pounds now and is turning into a great bed dog - as long as he doesn't get there first. He is lots bigger than Scooby - but he is longer too and stretches out behind my back with his back against mine. We both have a fine sleep!
    Smaller Sage dog is at the bottom of my feet. Most times if they get on the bed they leave in the night and I miss them when I wake up (they go downstairs and each takes a sofa).