SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

What are the nicest things people said about you lately?

michelle_phxaz
12 years ago

My ex-fiance called me up the other day (had been on Facebook with him for a while, but he hadn't been on in years, he is an alcoholic) and was on step 9 where he needs to make amends. He brought up some things that I don't ever recall him saying to me, but I accepted his apology gracefully and told him I still want him in my life, and he told me I was one of the greatest friends he ever had. He told me that my response was amazing, and he misses me a lot and how much our friendship meant to him.

A woman maned Mary Jo (Jo for short), a friend of my mom's but I was raised by her as well when we got together for holidays and camping. She called me to thank me for being there for her during a really nasty breakup two years ago. I live in AZ, they live in NC on a large chunk of property divided into 4 sections, my parents, Jo and her ex-slimeball, Jo's sister and her husband and Jo's brother and his wife each bought a chunk. Jo was my mom's best friend since Kingergarten, and very unfortunately found her soulmate (so she thought) and they were together 27 years. She and Jo EXPECTED my dad to mow their lawn, fix anything broken, and do all the chores on the farm.

I was out there for a few weeks in January 2010, right after Mary Jo's partner dumped her unceremoniously just weeks before, and would come to the farm to pilfer what she could out of the barns and sheds. The woman who dumped her (Kim) was the most negative, nasty, laziest person I have ever met, and for over 20 years our family and her family kept hoping they would split up, but Mary Jo loved her so deeply. As their relationship grew, the more negative Mary Jo got, and Jo has always one of my favorite people, one of the nicest and kindest people you would ever want to meet, but Kim told her how nasty people are at the farm which is SO off base I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately, Kim was part owner of the land, and my parents even offered Kim money for more than the property was worth just to get lost, but she relished showing up everywhere Mary Jo was to make her jealous (we are talking about women in their 60s!).

The night Jo and I had our talk we really hashed things out and I hoped I did good at helping her through the breakup. We sat in front of a fire, Kim couldn't have fires in the cabin Jo lives in, it was bad for one of her hypochondriac symptoms - apparently helping clean up after a dinner party is a no-no to,) and for hours I let Jo cry on my shoulder, and let it all out.

I got the greatest phone call from Jo yesterday, she said that that night I came over she was considering committing suicide that night, but our conversation changed her mind and validated that she deserved better.

I love helping others during their times of need, especially when it is someone you love that is hurting badly and needs someone to let it all out on. I will always be that person.

Sorry so long, but it made my week hearing nice things about yourself.

Comments (9)