Need fast etiquette help regarding Catholic funeral and rosary
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Mother of the Bride dress and questions
Comments (49)A bit of a different slant--Father of the groom shenanigans. When we got married, I bought my fiance a nice navy suit, which was quite the chore back in the day before there were lots of options for tall guys; he is/was 6'4" and 180 lbs. Anyway, I found a nice 3 piece suit in a conservative navy. My father had a nice suit in a conservative navy. I asked my future FIL to wear a nice suit in a conservative navy. At which point he went out and bought a nice suit in a conservative BROWN! I was sooooo angry at him, and since he was the best man I was convinced my dream wedding image for the guys was ruined. So, on our wedding day there was my FIL resplendent in his brown suit. I was still a tad miffed, right till we were all leaving the church and as we walked out the doors, he suddenly gave me the world's biggest hug, with the joyful comment 'now you're part of the family!' and the world's biggest smile to go along with it. He's gone now but thinking of that moment still makes me smile every time. It was a good lesson too about whats important and what's not on a wedding day. Happy memories come from what we do and say, not what we wear...have a wonderful wedding! Ann...See MoreScary news-need your prayers
Comments (47)You've been through a lot. Wishing you much better days ahead. Glad your daughter was there with you as it is always best to have a second set of ears during these trying time. Prayers to wish you well....See MoreI guess I just think differently
Comments (72)The paranoia about the alleged "bigotry" toward the Catholic church would be best for its own thread and it's a discussion worth having if certain parties can keep from getting out of hand. I CERTAINLY have a few comments to make on that (and some things that really need to be said) but it's so far off topic here, I'll respectfully refrain. This is a conversation I don't mind having on this thread or another. I can certainly be respectful of other viewpoints. I do think our country has a long and not-so-long-ago history of anti-Catholic sentiment. Look at JFK. It was monumental that he was elected to the highest office in the land as a Catholic and that occurred during the lifetime of many on this board. JFK's religion was considered a huge obstacle and he continually had to remind people, "I am not the Catholic candidate for president. I am the Democratic party's candidate for president who also happens to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my Church on public matters--and the Church does not speak for me." Having said that, Mitt Romney was under the same type of scrutiny as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I think there is anti-Mormon sentiment, anti-Semitism, and anti-Muslim sentiment (running very high recently). There is racism, anti-LGBTQ laws are being passed, and women earn 79 cents for every dollar earned by a man. I don't think Catholics have a monopoly on the experience of intolerance. I think there is plenty of intolerance to go around. However, I do think that it does exist and may be the last acceptable prejudice often cloaked under the guise of being anti-cleric....See MoreDebate reactions
Comments (381)Keep in mind that the Catholic Church is a huge umbrella and has right wing, left wing, and middle wing folk, all of whom usually consider themselves "good Catholics." Different Catholic churches can have a right leaning, left leaning, or middle leaning tone depending on the leadership. So you can expect a wide range of diversity in Catholic voting in any given year. I am a practicing, believing Catholic and consider myself a "middle of the road" type--not too conservative, not too liberal. I will NOT be voting for Clinton for a number of reasons, but her platform on abortion is way up there. On the other hand, I will NOT be voting for Trump because he is--how can I say it best--a bombastic, vulgar, fool.And I am not alone among my Catholic and many non-Catholic friends. In good conscience, many of us cannot vote for either candidate. For many other conservative-leaning Catholics Trump is simply the lesser of two evils. Sad....See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEThe Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
wildchild