SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Recent activities ... (caution: maybe TMI)

joyfulguy
4 years ago

On Monday I had a 6-mo. check-up with the cancer doc, and when we go in we fill out an extensive questionnaire regarding our current situation, health-wise, including several questions regarding frequency, difficulties, pain, etc. with regard to urination, and proceeding to sexually-related activities, e.g. masturbation, orgasm and such. There's no place for comments, just picking one slot on a scale of about 6, about a dozen times or so.

I thought later that I should have written a comment on the print-out before handing it to the pre-screening nurse to note that the urination etc. issue is somewhat different if one has been on a catheter for an extended period: "orgasm" ... what's that?

There are questions regarding bowel elimination, as well, and radiation seems to have had some effects there, including the level of forewarning of one's need to visit a bathroom.

Good news - the P S A numbers are low - has been 0.4 for a couple of visits ... and I say that when the cancer doc is happy - I'm happy!

Meant to ask whether the idea of giving an organ(s) at death is impossible for those who've had cancer, which I expect to be 100% true - forgot.

If one has a prostate-reaming job ... is there a possibility of it perhaps encouraging a recurrence of the cancer? Maybe - but only very slight, we figure ... but we don't have much idea.

--------------------------

There's a back street near the suburban church that I often travel en route to a discount grocer, often there are a number of shopping carts sitting near a housing complex, including some yellow ones from a another discount grocer that I visit, and sometimes I've thought that I should push a few of them back home, but haven't done so, so far. I often push a few from the corral in the parking lot to the position by the entry ... and sometimes bring baskets to near an entry, if there are hardly any there.

With some extra time last Sunday afternoon, I figured that I'd park the car at the grocer and travel back something over a quarter of a mile to bring a few back to the store ...

.,.. but things didn't go as planned, as, part way along, I got a signal from the personal portable solid waste disposal system that attention needed to be paid to its needs, on a fairly immediate basis.

I visited a Roman Catholic church - doors locked. Travelled back to a pizza place, but tiny, no extra doors, several customers standing in small space .. this guy left.

An accident took place with regard to making a deposit ...

... and I found a small grocer, went in, visited the bathroom, took some time getting things more or less in order, visited the checkout to ask for change for a Twonie ($2.00 coin), got a 2 Loonies ($1.00 coin) ... and offered one to the cashier, saying that, following an unexpected accident, I'd used quite a quantity of toilet paper in her bathroom. At first she refused, but I assured her that her current supply of toilet paper was somewhat diminished over what it had been a half hour earlier ... so she, not wanting to be ungracious regarding a gift - accepted.

And I went my way, picked up five carts, added another en route to the store, which I'd noted on my outgoing journey.

Sometimes a good turn which one has planned on doing for some time ...

... turns out to be more complicated in the fulfillment than one had envisioned.

Anyway - I'm still here ... and the weeds in the garden are higher than the bush beans.

Hope you all have a happy, uneventful, with regard to difficulties, week.

ole joyful

Comments (32)

• Ava
    4 years ago

Glad to hear you are doing well health wise.

joyfulguy thanked Ava
  • PattiG(rose)
    4 years ago

OJ, nice to know that you are doing well, and your PSA numbers are low.

joyfulguy thanked PattiG(rose)
  • Uptown Gal
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your kindness never stops. The only thing that surprises me about your post

is that the doors to the Catholic Church were locked. ;) From reading and

posting here just a short time, I have already learned of your kindness, so

that didn't surprise me. Bless you and thank you for posting about your

day. :) (Congrats on the PSA numbers)

joyfulguy thanked Uptown Gal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Seems the older we get the more adventuresome every day activities can be. Glad it's all working out ok...hang tough!

joyfulguy thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jasdip
    4 years ago

Meant to ask whether the idea of giving an organ(s) at death is impossible for those who've had cancer, which I expect to be 100% true - forgot.

When hubby died, I got a call the next day from the funeral home to go in and sign papers, state my wishes etc. My mind was still in a fog and I never even thought of suggesting they take whatever they wanted. We didn't sign the organ donor cards, so they may not have anyway, and they didn't ask.

Some friends have said that having cancer would negate any donations, but a fellow widow friend donated her husband's eyes, and he died of prostate/brain cancer.

I wish I'd asked, someone could be benefiting from Tom's eyes, if nothing else.

If one has a prostate-reaming job ... is there a possibility of it perhaps encouraging a recurrence of the cancer? Maybe - but only very slight, we figure ... but we don't have much idea.

With prostate cancer there's a 30% chance of it coming back. That's the sold reason I told our surgeon to take the prostate right out. Hubby was only 58 when diagnosed and 30% is too damned high at that young age.

When it comes back it comes back in 2 forms.......in your bones or your organs. It came back (metastasized) in his bones.

I find it interesting how doctors treat the PSA levels. When hubby had a reading of .5 his surgeon had him re-test it 2 more times in case the reading was faulty. That was too high for his comfort. He was right.

This shocks the heck out of me every time I think of it. The representative who takes part in the Ride for Dad each year reminds us that there are 8 cases every month in our region alone.

joyfulguy thanked Jasdip
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm glad you're feeling fine. The personal information probably should have been left out.

joyfulguy thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lisa_fla
    4 years ago

I love your ‘can do’ spirit. Nothing stops you!

joyfulguy thanked lisa_fla
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

OJ....it's good to hear your doing OK and have your sense of humor!

joyfulguy thanked nicole___
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

Congratulations on your numbers. I personally don't mind your candor and straightforwardness. In fact I very much appreciate it. There are many who don't ever express themselves easily or well and feel isolated by their illnesses. For many the body cooperating is a struggle. You are Not alone and when you speak out about struggles they are not alone.

joyfulguy thanked yeonassky
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your good wishes, folks.

I've thought of giving my body to a medical school ... but I expect that they'd want a complete body, not one not quite "all there", due to a number of organs having been removed to be given to folks who needed some, theirs becoming non-functional.

I think that usually, after the needs of research or the training of medical students is over, the body parts are returned to the family, so could be composted, to help flowers, veggies or oxygen-producing trees grow.

ole joyful

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Glad to read that you are doing well, joyful. Very nice and thoughtful of you to round up the shopping carts. Some of the stores here have shopping carts that lock up when they are removed from the parking lot. They have electronic sensors around the perimeter that talk to the cart and tell it to slam on the brakes. It seems to have helped cut down on wayward carts for those stores.

I would think that students would be very interested in studying a body that had experienced/been treated for cancer especially those who are thinking of going into oncology.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

It's a good thought but I suspect such particulars would escape much attention.

Most cadavers used in medical schools are for the first year class of Gross Anatomy. This class focuses on the details of the location and composition of parts of the body - vessels, nerves, organs, muscles, bones, et al, etc. Think of it as akin to the study that (used to be) required of London cab drivers, where they need to know every street, what was on them where and where they go. Teams of multiple students work on each body and the pace is fast. I doubt any attention is paid to diseased parts, other than perhaps a quick glance here or there for something obvious, as when the heart is being dissected and if the person had heart disease.

• drewsmaga
    4 years ago

Ed, you have a way with words that cracks me up. I'm so happy you are doing well!

joyfulguy thanked drewsmaga
  • glenda_al
    4 years ago

Ed, you are special, and respect your comments. Tho certain person seems to disapprove of some comments, ignore and continue adding your comments.

joyfulguy thanked glenda_al
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Some stores around here have blocker signals around the edge of the parking lot. A while ago I found that I could take one back if I lifted the front wheels off of the ground ... but that's a long, heavy haul. If there's no quarter, I'll take it to near an entry, as not fair to leave a troublemaker in the corral, then tell a staffer about it and where to find it. If there's a quarter in it, I sometimes take it in the exit door, as one of the checkouts ususually has the clicky thing that tells it to behave itself. It does seem a dirty trick to just push a blocked cart into the line in the cart corral.

Later I found that it's a good idea to put one's foot on the bar between the back wheels and pull back the handle to lift the front wheels off of the ground, then with some juggling one can keep the front wheels high, so the back wheels can operate as normally.

They tell me that exerciseexercise is good for the constitution. ((This machine is sure acting funny, lately)).

ole joyful

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

Congrads on a good report.

dissection is also done on parts so missing bits would not matter.

joyfulguy thanked patriciae_gw
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sure. If one particular cadaver had "pieces" removed during their lifetime, the group working on that body would piggyback with another team with a more intact body. I believe the same is done with respect to things that are male/female specific.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think that I spoke of this after
    the discussion of the proposed ream job on the prostate, but the urologist, reportedly a pretty sharp guy, said that there was about a 20% possibility of it being unable to restore the urine flow so requiring continued use of catheter - but without it ... 100% requirement of using a catheter till death. Thus seems preferable be dealing with such a dilemma at 90 rather than at, say, 65.

Edit of first post:

When, in urgent need of a bathroom, and being unable to use two places,

"an accident took place with regard to making a deposit ..."

ETA ...

... "before necessary clearances were possible/could be arranged"!

(With half-assed apology to Elmer, for having offended his sensibilities ... but I note that he's still holding on to this thread).

ole joyful

• Rusty
    4 years ago

OJ, I agree with Glenda 100%, as I believe quite a number of us here do. There always seems to be some one who tries to act offended by some of your comments, but who cares? He/she can just scroll on by. Your sense of humor, the way you word things, your whole attitude on life in general is admirable, and I appreciate you sharing it with us. I am very happy for you on the low PSA numbers, congratulations on that! I'm also very glad to know you can find ways to deal with what could be a very sensitive and potentially embarrassing problem. You not only deal with it, you are able to tell the story in an entertaining way. God bless you! ! !

Rusty

joyfulguy thanked Rusty
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

OJ, I love it when you report in. I'm happy to know you're in good spirits and health and can maintain your level of shenanigans. You always have something to say in a way I don't expect. I enjoy your quirkiness.

joyfulguy thanked Adella Bedella
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Do I think it offensive? No, not hardly. A better word to describe the insistence on providing unneeded details is sad.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" as I believe quite a number of us here do "

There are always different views. I think you'd be surprised to know how many supportive messages I periodically receive on the matter you're referring to, both through the system and from those who know my email address. From names you know well.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

What Adellabedella said.

Adding, many KT regulars have their (our?) quirks, part of what keeps this place going. I can always count on ___ for ____! (fill in the blanks any way you want, lol) (but it's probably wise to keep it to yourself!)

joyfulguy thanked nickel_kg
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In the way of a crumb of justification, may I say that there was a word of caution in the title.

ole joyful

• bleusblue2
    4 years ago

Elmer J Fudd

Do I think it offensive? No, not hardly. A better word to describe the insistence on providing unneeded details is sad.

~~~~

You know, Elmer, I think I care for decorum as much as anyone. But the gracious way the details were expressed were (1) light hearted (2) clever (3) vague enough that you could slip right over if you chose. In addition, as we experience various insults of ageing it is helpful to some to know we are not alone. The story shared here on the forum would not be told in other company, at a party, say, or after dinner. There is a special kind of intimacy here. We read and learn and I appreciate the open heart that told us about something that must be hard to bear.

joyfulguy thanked bleusblue2
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I talked to a pharmacist the other day and he suggested some Imodium, which is good for diarrhea ... but he didn't have any.

i got a box of a dozen little droplets of Imodium the other day (about $10.00).

He'd suggested that I take one about an hour before I'm to be out on a journey.

Friend picked me up last evening, in his GM electric Volt, to go to a meeting about 20 miles away of the investment advisory group, subscribers to what we consider Canada's best personal money management magazine (that carries no ads, so is totally subscriber-driven). Hadn't taken one of the drops ... no accidents: only needed to visit the bathroom to take one of the regular pills....

I thought that it'd be a good idea to take one this morning before going to the old guys' coffee, cookies and conversation at the village church, but forgot following rising from my bed this morning. Will have to use the drops later, I guess.

ole joyful

________________________ ..........((Caution recommended))

I usually help clean up following the meeting, replacing hotplate and supplies, washing dishes, etc.and find that I often need to use the bathroom around that time, and usually figure that I can survive one locked bathroom door.

It was locked on the second effort, this morning ...

... and I figured that I'd better head for the bathroom upstairs, just outside the door to the sanctuary.

Made haste up the stairs, but wasn't hasty enough in the travel, the unzip and other required clearances, etc. ...

... so major clean-up became necessary.

Possibly a good idea to have cleaned up some of the language, as well ... as it wouldn't be considered ideal for use in such a location (or anywhere close to any but the aged hard of hearing?)

I had a spare set of underwear ... in my bag, which often I bring in, but hadn't this morning, so had to go out to retrieve it ... not in skinny-dip fashion, let me assure you.

Thought to bring in a bag to transport the injured clothing, ... but forgot.

Didn't offer compensation at the office, as I had at the grocery the other day.

Better be careful for the rest of the day - back-up has disappeared.

Maybe I'll get the drop on one o' them little drops, prior to my next journeying.

If I don't forget.

Wish me luck, O.K.?

o j

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm glad you bumped up this thread, it had otherwise run its course and was slipping down the list. I know you frequently bump up your own threads when others have stopped contributing days, weeks, or months later. Sometimes the same thread repeatedly.

While it's here and you're here, can you offer any detailed suggestions about your favorite techniques and approaches that can be used in intimate situations with a partner? Oh, best wishes for your medical situations.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Wishing you luck, O.J. And take care of yourself -- such a productive illness is nothing to sneeze at!

:-)

joyfulguy thanked nickel_kg
  • User
    4 years ago

Just a suggestion but check everything you are eating, drinking, or using for medicinal purposes for Sorbitol. Not widely known but some people are sensitive to it and it does cause this type problems. More and more things are containing it including many of the over the counter stuff for heartburn/acid indigestion.

Until this problem clears perhaps although the idea can be distasteful to some an adult incontinence pant.

joyfulguy thanked User
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue, joyful. It must be very frustrating as well as somewhat embarrassing. I think maifleur's suggestion is a good one; it would save you a lot of inconvenience and clean-up.

joyfulguy thanked DawnInCal
  • User
    4 years ago

Having spent some time at nursing homes there is a type that is better for this kind of thing as it has a sort of pocket but not certain if they are available everywhere or even the brand. Most are not useful for this type of difficulty.

joyfulguy thanked User
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida