SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

A crazy idea that solved my pet problem!

amicus
10 years ago

I posted this on the Home Decorating forum and thought I'd post it here as well. We have 3 dogs of varying sizes, a chihuahua, pug and cocker spaniel. They are all pretty bad shedders, so I try to keep them from going in my living room with the 'good' furniture and oriental rug. Up until now, I just yelled if I saw one of them heading for the living room, since the entrance is too wide for a baby gate and we don't want to install French doors.

I came up with a crazy idea and bought 3 tension shower rods to block off the living room entry. I installed the lowest rod only 5 inches from the floor, the next one about 7 inches above that and the third one about 10 inches above that.

So the highest rod is less than 2 feet from the floor and not difficult for DH and I to step over, if necessary. The truth is, the living room is our least used room, so this doesn't affect our daily routine and causes no inconvenience for us, but I sure hate having to vacuum it every few days just because the dogs have walked through it.

I had to fiddle with the spacing of the rods a bit, before I came up with heights that would deter all 3 dogs from being able to enter the living room. It's actually quite comical, because the rods aren't very strong, but the dogs just won't try to pass under, through or over them if they believe their body might come into contact with any of the shower rods in the process.

The rods are a burnished brown, so they don't look bad above my dark hardwood floors. I simply spend a few seconds taking them down if guests come over and put them back up afterwards. I just thought I'd pass this cheap idea along for any of you who might have a room with a wider entrance that you wish to keep off limit to your (smallish) dogs.

Comments (19)