SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

Idea to solve my bird problems?

ncage
12 years ago

For the past two years i've almost had no chiles because the sparrows have just destroyed them as soon as i planted them. Even though they don't kill them once they strip the young plant of most its leaves it never takes off. The sparrows love the chiles but don't bother my herbs or tomatoes. For some reason i never had this problem when my garden was smaller now its a huge problem now my garden is about 25 x 15 its impossible. I've tried many solutions without any luck. Fake own / hawk. Scarecrow ect..

I came up with any idea this year that should be easy to construct. Just put tomato cages around each young plant and put bird netting around each cage. Found real cheap bird netting off of ebay and i would think it would be easy to cut and wrap each cage in. Of course after the plants take off i don't have to worry.

A more ideal solution of course would be to put some 2x4 around the garden and cover the entire garden in the bird net but i neither have time time or energy to do this but i can't see why my idea wouldn't work. I could use any small enclosure that i could wrap the bird netting around that would let light/air/mosture in and out but i thought tomato cages would be a perfect fit.

I also luckily have it so i'm just getting an invisible fence installed for my new puppy (chocolate lab). He "might" keep the sparrows away but i'm not sure. I'm going to have them also run a wire through the garden so he won't destroy the garden but i would think him even being in the vicinity would scare them away.

What do you all think of my idea? Do you think it will work or is there a better way?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!