SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va

Spin off from Connie's post re Rude People

15 years ago

I didn't want to hijack that thread, so started this one.

First though I think it is sad that an adult would be so unfeeling to a child, when all that was needed was a simple No, thank you.

I think something needs to be done about the need for having children soliciting for their schools. Schools are underfunded no doubt, but children should not have to be the "beggars."

Today I got a mail-out from my DGGS. There were 6 small pieces of literature, an 8X20" fan-folded sheet with lists of magazines on both sides, a return address envelope and a form that he filled out with my name addy, etc. The preprinted message was this: Please sponsor me in my school's Computers for Education Program. You become my sponsor when you order from the enclosed brochure. You save money with the special school prices and help me earn a FREE "Glow in the Dark" Scooby-Doo shirt. If 2 items are ordered by the prize deadline I get my FREE shirt (a $15.00 value.) Thank you for supporting me.

I don't want any magazines. But wait, there is Plan B. I can give a gift certificate to the classroom of my DGGS. "This gift certificate, personalized with my name allows the student's classroom to select the very best in age appropriate reading. The school also earns much needed funds from this program. A gift certificate of $50 or more qualifies the student for a free T-shirt." (And I interject here: How much does this company get?)

My DGGS lives in the next county, about 45 minutes from me. I guess though that all GPs and friends were solicited through the mail, not door to door.

Now I am in the position of having to explain to this 7 year old why I won't be "sponsoring" him! In a way, I will be "slamming the door in his face."

How do I do that?

Sue

P.S. Maybe I can find a Glow in the Dark Scooby-Doo shirt for him for Christmas?

Comments (3)