SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Help with drapes, please

donna_loomis
10 years ago

I feel like such a dunce and would appreciate some input. I apologize in advance because I know this is going to be lengthy. My brother and I recently painted Mom's living room and hallway and now she says she needs new drapes. She has traverse rods and pinch-pleat drapes and would like not to have to change the rods. I have looked at several stores in our area and apparently pinch-pleat drapes are no longer in fashion. Didn't see a one. I did see a few online, but I'm confused as to the measurements. For example, one window is 48" by 48". One pair of drapes at WalMart's website is stated to be 24" x 84" for each panel, which would make the 48" window. But with a traverse rod that pulls the panels to and from the center, I would need a couple of inches extra on either side so that they make the turn at the outer edges and overlap at the center. I hope that description makes sense. So, the curtains I just described would not be wide enough. Another pair states that they come 48", 63", 96", or 144" wide, but this "set" does not tell me whether that measurement is for each panel or for the two of them combined. And it isn't just WalMart. I have the same confusion with JCPenney, Montgomery Wards, and others.

I can sew and if I have to, I can alter them, but I really would rather not. I wouldn't have thought that a 48" window would be an odd size, so I'm wondering why the measurements don't really add up.

I still don't want to change the rod, so my next question is, are there other types of drapes that can be hung on them? I don't want a curtain that you just slip a rod through, because then every time the drapes are opened and shut, someone will have to fiddle with them to make them nice again.

Please help this dunce.

Comments (16)