SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Leaving on a night train

ruthieg__tx
9 years ago

well not really but that sounded so catchy...In case I'm not around or not around as much...maybe catch me on Facebook...

We are leaving Monday in the RV for a 16 day stay in Austin TX. As many of you know, who follow my sordid tale on Facebook, I have a little spot in my left lung that has been there for a long time, actually was there when the other cancer in the right lung was removed. Since I don't have the upper and middle section of the right lung, I'd like to conserve as much of the left lung as possible by avoiding surgery. This tiny spot has all of a sudden started to kick around the idea of growing and causing me problems. After consulting with a few doctors it has been decided that the first attempt to get rid of it or to get it to stop growing (to change it's DNA) is to undergo what is known as Cyberknife treatment. It is high dose radiation that is pretty much aimed at the tumor for an extended period of time...approximately 45 minutes. It is actually aimed at some little gold/metal pices called fiducials that I had implanted in my lung so the radiation beam can find the tumor no matter where I am in each breath. I will have 5 treatments scheduled for every other day. Rather than stay with friends who have offered or with a couple of our kids who have also offered, we have decided to stay in our RV and not interrupt anyone's lives. Can you imagine having company for 16 days...Eve our kids would hate us by the end of that many days...We have such terrible bedtime habits of staying up half the night and sleeping half the day and all of our kids and friends work so we would disturb their lifestyles...Plus we will be able to have Molly with us also...

I am not afraid/scared so don't worry about me or that aspect just hope and pray that this Cyberknife treatment does change the DNA and the little booger does stop growing but even if it doesn't, I still have other options...including surgery or chemo but as I said, as a last resort...or there is always the option at 75 years of age of doing nothing....we will play this out later..

Comments (27)