SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Have You Used a Product You Really Like?

I recently bought some Land 'O Lakes honey butter and I really like it. Do you have something new you have tried and like?

Sue

Comments (60)

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Parchment paper for baking cookies and stuff and non-stick foil for cooking meats. Barkeepers Friend for cleaning the stains on porcelain sink. Scentsy is the best scented waxes I've found though a lot of people that make them swear theirs are better but none I've tried are nearly as good. The Gentle Leader collar is a miracle for dogs that pull on a leash :) This has got to be one of the greatest inventions for dogs! You don't have to keep using it either, they will get the hang of walking and you can then use a regular halter collar.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

C4C Gluten-Free Flour. I started using this two years ago when cooking for those in my life who practice a gluten-free diet. So far, I've used it as a one-for-one substitute for regular flour in all of my recipes and it has worked perfectly. It's pricey at $19.95 for three pounds, but it makes cooking for GF-ers super simple.

• Related Discussions

What Have You Planted That You Really Wish You Hadn't?

Q

Comments (10)
    You can always give it a shot and see what happens. Mine was planted on the NE side, right up against the house so it had good winter protection from the elements. Received good morning sun till about noon, then bright shade. The bed has been build up to about 12-18" above grade over the years. I think it died down to the ground the first year but came back from the roots. Each subsequent year the trunks have all survived. It definitely gives off the tropical vibe, but I grew tired of pulling it. I just hacked pulled some yesterday. If you want to give it a go, lemme know and the next time I pull some I'll send it your way for shipping. Garrett.
    ...See More

What's the newest product you'd like to have?

Q

Comments (5)
    im really wanting the new baseball and baseball glove punches by McGill but they are due out til the end of july :( im also still waiting on the alphabet thumb punches that are due out july 1st.I guess the only other new thing im wanting is some of the fabric paper that looks and feels like silk. ~ Penny my local micheals sells lots of susan branch papers (some beautiful vellums) if you like her style but they are in a section by themselves not with the scrapping stuff *go figure*. have you tried the magic mesh yet?? i used some on a baseball page to look like the fence and i really like the way it looks
    ...See More

Anyone have a Wolf gas cooktop? Or another cooktop you really like?

Q

Comments (12)
    I agree that the Wolf cook tops are nice - my parents just did a massive renovation (gutting) of an entire house - and they put a Wolf 5 burner cook top in - granted it's not the commercial scorch your eyebrows of the BlueStar and others in that sphere, but I have cooked on it several times and think for the everyday cook it is just fine - and has a nice fit/finish to it (at least to my eye). We are just starting to build a new home and I will be looking very hard at the 36 inch Wolf range top (I want and would use an integrated griddle quite a bit - so want to do a little research and hand's on experimentation on that part before I make a final decision)
    ...See More

Any of you have an affordable dutch oven that you really like?

Q

Comments (63)
    @Sherry8aNorthAL, I found that Tramontina is all around a great brand. I don't think you can make a mistake buying any of their products. You miss out on some of the attention to detail that I see in my Staub pots. And yes, I do like these little improvements. But whether the improvements are worth 2.5 times the price is a very valid question. On the other hand, as others have said, these are pots that you'll use for decades to come. So, if you do decide to splurge, the cost does amortize over time. The heavy weight is an issue with any cast iron product. That's why, unlike for Dutch ovens, I prefer carbon steel skillets over cast iron. They handle very comparably, but they are noticeably lighter. Lodge makes a great and inexpensive model, and according to ATK, Matfer Bourgeat makes the nicest one, but I haven't tried that myself. Both cast iron and rolled steel, despite all their advantages, suffer from poor heat conductivity. So they work better on stoves that distribute heat evenly. We love to cook with them on our Bluestar range. The star-shaped burners are perfect for this application. We liked them a lot less, when we had to temporarily use the Viking in our in-law unit during our remodel. Hot spots were very obvious and annoying. Capped circular gas burners are a much poorer fit for this type of cookware. Of course, once transferred to a hot oven, all of that is moot.
    ...See More
  • linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

My George Forman sticks all the time. It is old. I put a piece of parchment paper on each side of the fish I cook. That way there is no stick and clean up is a snap.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

Dawn Power Disolver......great for stuck on stuff, stovetops, etc.

Also love parchment paper for cookies, but the BTP mixture for cake pans.

• gadgets
    10 years ago

A while back Glenda mentioned using Pictsweet Seasoning Blend. I was happy to find it at WalMart and have been using like a soup starter ever since. It adds just the right flavoring to the soups. Thanks, Glenda.

Shirley

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

I started using Revlon Colorstay Ultimate liquid lipstick a few months ago. This stuff stays on all day. It is a bit sticky on the lips unlike regular lipstick, but it does last.

• pekemom
    10 years ago

I found the Revlon Colorstay foundation in buff covers very well...

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Yeah - bought a smallish 19-year old Mazda, had it about 5 years, ran it into the ground.

Sorry to see it depart.

ole joyful

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Phyllis, I totally agree with you....that Dawn Platinum Erasing Foam is incredible. No more soaking.

I'm pretty fond of my pineapple corer/slicer, but that's more of a gadget than a consumable.

• lindyluwho
    10 years ago

Woolite Oxy Stain & Odor remover for carpet. One of the dogs got blood all over the carpet. (Never did find out where he was bleeding. Baffled the vet too). I sprayed the spots with Awesome and cleaned with the carpet steam cleaner. The stains went away. And came right back a few hours later. Repeated the treatment. Same result. I bought the Woolite and sprayed the stains. Waited 5 minutes like it said and when I came back to blot the stains they were completely gone! And stayed gone. I'm bummed about it though. I hate that carpet and thought I was finally going to get to replace it! LOL!!!

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I've had my share of new and used autos in my lifetime and some were junkers, but there were two standouts:

1. 1964 Dodge Dart, 4 dr, with the small V8 and automatic trandmission. Bought it new and ran it to 100,000 miles. My growing family outgrew it.

2. 1976 Buick Estate Wagon, 455 cu in V8 with automatic transnission. That was our vacation machine for a family of 5. It was a land barge and on a good day might get up to 17 miles per gallon. I bought it used when 3 yrs old with 30,000 miles on it. I was able to afford it because that summer, gasoline prices began to rise and no one could guess where it would stop, people began dumping their large vehicles at distressed prices. I kept that vehicle for 13 years and when I sold it, it did not have a rust spot on it anywhere. I garaged it each winter when the first salt hit the street and it did not come out next spring until the last of the street salt had washed away.

I was able to do all needed repairs and maintence myself except the repair of a leaking gasoline tank.

• jel48
    10 years ago

Someone asked where to get the crockpot liners. Walmart has them. They're in the same area as seran, foil, ziplock bags, etc.

Speaking of ziplock bags.... I tried the huge ones (XL 2 foot by 20 inches) for brining turkeys and they work great! I actually put the brine and the turkey in the bag, then set the bag inside a roaster or soup pot. I know I could do the same thing without the bag, but having the brine and turkey in the bag made it easy to turn the turkey over (to make sure the brine soaked every part equally) without making any mess. I really liked these huge bags and had never heard of them until I was looking for brine recipes.

• jel48
    10 years ago

Penzay's spices and seasonings! I've tried a number of them since hearing friends talk about them last spring. They're great!

Char-Broil's "The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Oil-less Turkey Fryer". Friends cooked a turkey in this for a dinner we went to last May and wow was it ever delicious and so fast! You could literally watch the turkey turn brown (and this in just over 2 hours in the cooker). The turkey was great. I bought one for Gary for Father's day. We've cooked 2-2 turkeys in it, and also cornish game hens and a rib roast. It does need a small propane tank (like a grill uses) to run. We really like it!

I also bought a NuWave Pro oven last winter and love that too! It cooks with Infrared, just like the Char-Broil turkey fryer. I saw someone mentioned the NuWave Induction cooktop earlier, and I think I'd like to try that too, but just haven't brought myself to the point of buying one yet. I did think of buying one of the NuWave oven's for each of my girls for their main Christmas gift next Christmas, but haven't decided for sure yet.

What else.... might think of other things later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Char Broil Greaseless Turkey Fryer

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

With my husband being a commuter..nearly every vehicle we've owned hits 300k plus..before it's released. Lol..
    My mini van is the exception..just 120k and it's a 2000.

For laundry, I prefer Resolve stain stick. It's by Spray n Wash.

I dont't live with out..Aussie 3min miracle ...it's my conditioner..and under $3 at Walmart and Suave spray gel.

I love Revel light bulbs..60w..

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Scrubbing Bubbles foaming. It works like a charm on today's plastic appliance parts, e.g. diswasher handle or entire thing, like the trashcan. Nothing else gets it as clean, or as easily. I also love the magic eraser for taking dirt off of the cheap rental paint I have in my home. It takes off the marks without marring the paint. It's matte and that may be the difference. Maybe it's not cheap? But it seems like it. Magic erasers just get destoryed too quickly by me. I use them everywhere!

• Tally
    10 years ago

Loving this thread!

I use Floss Away bags to file my DMC embroidery floss numerically.

Love Youth Code BB cream

Just discovered CeraVe's Renewal Hand cream.

Haven't tried the Tide stain remover, but Resolve Stain Remover does wonders.

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

Barkeeper's Friend.

It looks just like any other white powered cleanser, but it's much , much better.

My hands are so weak from my arthritis, I can't use cleansers that you have to scrub hard to clean greasy pots, pans stove top, etc. All you have to do is use hot water, then gentle rubbing.
    My BarkeepersIt even cleans tile grout on floors.

I loe this stuff, and it dosn't leave any gritty, dusty residue when it dries.

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

Tally said she "Just discovered CeraVe's Renewal Hand cream."

My dermatologist highly recommends CeraVe moisturizer. I love the stuff. Haven't seen the Renewal Hand Cream, though. But, I'll look for it!

• jannie
    10 years ago

About ten years ago, I saw the infomercial and bought that obnoxious Ron Popeil's Showtime Rotisserie chicken cooker. It works fabulously, the chicken comes out moist and tender and very flavorful. It's hard to clean, the only drawback.

• maybee_gw
    10 years ago

I haven't read through everything here, so this may already have been mentioned. I, too, love the crock pot liners, but did you all know that they have those liners for the big roasters also...the same thing only big enough to fit the roasters..they are wonderful!

• Tally
    10 years ago

Lindsey, I've used the regular CeraVe cream (not the lotion)for a couple of years. It was also recommended by my dermatologist.

The Renewing cream is very different, and I'm a convert. Great for feet too!

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

terri, after reading that you couldn't live without Aussie 3 minute miracle, I went and bought some. My hair is just the worst, I've been conditioner only washing for a couple years now and it's still just a dry as always. Something is causing my hair to be dry as straw, all I can figure is old age. So anyway, got some Aussie and I have to say I LOVE IT! If it can make my straw hair feel soft and ALIVE...it is in fact a MIRACLE. I have tried all sorts of things too and it just seems as if they only dry my hair out worse. I'm SOLD!

I thought of something else that I really like that was talked about here I believe some time back. It's the Cascade Complete. This is about a million times better than any other dish detergent that I've used. Works better than liquid!

Here is something else that I just discovered for my poor little dog with horrible allergies. Purina Dog Chow...yes I know it's the most horrible food on the market (according to dog food advisor) but my poor dog is allergic to everything else I've tried. Though, admittedly I did not try ORIJEN. I used many high end foods(grain free) and only went to dog chow after asking her rescue group what they fed her because she was gorgeous when we got her. Turns out Dog Chow was what she ate. She can't eat other Purina foods, just dog chow! HA!

• jannie
    10 years ago

Parchment paper for cookie baking. Definitely.

• Shelgal
    10 years ago

Terri, where can I buy the RESOLVE stain stick? I used to get the Spray and Wash stain stick, but I can't find it anymore, and I guess the Resolve is the same since it's made by the same mfg.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

Not really new, but my favorite fragrance is L'Occitane's Lemon Verbena. A lot of people have never heard of L'Occitane. I'm fairly sensitive to fragrance & can wear it with no problems. It doesn't hurt that I'm partial to citrus scents anyway.

I also like Pacifica's Tuscan Blood Orange fragrance.

Woodwick's Frasier Fur candle. It makes the house smell like a real Christmas tree.

Cuisinart's Griddler grill. It has reversible plates so you can use it as a grill or griddle. You can open it up to cook on both sides at once (there are separate temperature controls for each side). It also has a floating hinge so it can be used for grilling sandwiches or paninis. Very versatile.

Cuisart's electric pressure cooker.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The only thing I can think of is Redken Thickening Lotion #6. It is the perfect amount of hold for my kind of hair. I really can't think of another thing. I will have to take notes from your ideas.

• Tally
    10 years ago

Shelgal, Resolve is Spray and Wash. Don't know if they bought it out or just changed the name.

I like the stick too because you can put it exactly where you want it and it doesn't run off.

I buy it on amazon:

Here is a link that might be useful: Resolve stick stain remover

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

A favorite for some time--Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick.

• jeaninwa
    10 years ago

Oh yeah! I love MOntreal Steak Seasoning too.

Also, Johnny's Seasoning Salt. No other seasoning salt I've tried is like it.
    Makes broiled pork chops sooo good!

• samkaren
    10 years ago

Febreeze air freshener. When it says it eliminates odors (like in the commercials) IT DOES!!!!!

Highly recommend this proguct

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

I second Febreeze! I was going to say that but I figured everyone already uses it...HAHA! I like the Spring & Renewal scent. We've tried a bunch but we always come back to this one! This stuff could cover up the worst of the worst! HAHA!

• socks
    10 years ago

Here's an item I got at Smart & Final, not sure if it's carried any more. Their First Street brand of plastic wrap has a little cutter attached to the top of the box, which slides like a ziplock slider. You can stretch our your wrap, then slide the cutter and it cuts it so neat. No more struggling with those awful metal cutting strips which don't work very well.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I can't believe that I haven't remembered to mention my favorite product of all time....Dove bar soap. You know, the kind with "moisturizing cream"? My goodness, what a product.

My mother began using it when it first came out and it's pretty much the only soap I've used my whole life. Not only does my husband remark on my skin, but so does anyone else who touches my skin....health care professionals, gal friends, relatives.

The other Dove products don't do the same job and neither does any other soap, liquid or otherwise, even if I slather myself with lotions afterwards (which I hate to do) .

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I like to buy the BIG roll of Christmas wrapping paper at Costco, usually every other year. It never runs out. I get about 2 Christmas seasons' of use from it and then give the left over roll to one of my kids in order to buy a new roll. It is great for wrapping big toys and things because you will always have enough paper to cover any huge thing that needs to be wrapped. They have smaller foil rolls, which are big but not as big as the non foil paper rolls.

• fiveholetarget
    10 years ago

My favorite gadget that I use every when I make tea is the
    Tea Bag Buddy Non-staining Silicone. Tea Bag Buddy allows one to squeeze the tea bag, protecting your fingers from the hot tea. I throw it in the dishwasher on the top shelf when I clean it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea Buddy

• naughtykitty
    10 years ago

Yikes. I just ordered the tea buddy. Thanks!

Here are some of my favorites:
    Lip Sense lip stick - it is like paint and then I just use chapstick over it all day. You have to buy from a distributor. I get it at the swap meet. $22 per tube but it lasts over a year and I can never go back to regular lipstick

Bare Escentuals make up

DHC Olive oil face wash. Makes my skin feel so soft and moisturized

St Ives timeless moisture lotion. Learned about this one from Dr Oz/Pinterest. it is cheap and makes my skin feel great

Trader Joes spice blends in grinder bottle. Only $1.99 I actually use the "everyday seasoning" just about every day.

I know there are countless other items to list, but that is all I can think of right now

• kitz_2007
    10 years ago

As seen on TV, Cafe Cup Reusable Single Serve Coffee Pods. They work great, and it saves a fortune on K-cups.
    Just use your favorite coffee grounds in them.

Here`s what they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafe Cup Reusable Single Serve Coffee Pod

• Shelgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tally. I'm going to order it from Amazon.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I thought of another one. Olay Moisturizer. I've been using it for years.

• debo_2006
    10 years ago

Love the Turbie Twist for my wet hair coming out of the shower.

Clothes tape found in lingerie section. I use it for everything that needs some fudging, especially pants where the zipper/button area doesn't lay flat.

Scrub Daddy Scrubber. As seen on Shark Tank.

Urban Decay pencil eye liner. The stuff stays on...most of the time. Ditto to the Revlon Colorstay Ultimate liquid lipstick.

Crystal Light squirt juice bottles though overpriced, but convenient. I'm not a plain water drinker so took 2 of these on vacation and just added to bottled water. Mixed with seltzer is good too. No mess.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I posted here once before, but I love the Dave's Killer Bread. I can buy it at Von's, and it comes in about 5 different flavors. It is very moist, uses seeds and is usually a brown bread. I especially like it because we don't eat bread fast here, so I store it in the refrigerator. It stays moist and soft for weeks in the refrigerator. And it tastes good too.

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

I posted a couple months ago, asking what people used for nail polish that actually lasted. Someone posted about the Sally Hansen nail stick ons, and I forgot I actually had bought some but put them away. I tried them, and wow do they last. When I put the french nails on, they lasted over two weeks! The colors only last a week, but I could stretch it if I wanted. I use seche vite topcoat, which someone else recommended. I got that on Amazon. I don't know which it is, the top coat or the nail stickies or both, but I am amazed. I actually have to cut my nails now, I'm having trouble typing and I can't really have long nails at work. But they look fabulous.

• patti43
    10 years ago

A lot of us love our parchment paper. I found some on-line--it may have been Amazon--that's precut to fit most cookie sheets. Love them!!

Another product I really like is Great Value brand (Wal-Mart) plastic wrap. Sticks better than anything I've ever tried.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I like the Silpat liners for baking cookies. They are reusable, so they have to be washed and laid out to dry between uses.

• Toni S
    10 years ago

Started using tide pods in my front loader. Alpine scent . Easy and fresh smelling.

• woodchuck_mo
    10 years ago

patti43 - I also think the Great Value plastic wrap is the best I've ever used. But there are two types, and they are side by side so you have to be sure you get the one that says "Professional Strength." It is far better than the "Premium."

• Tally
    10 years ago

Loving this thread. More, more!!!

• cookie8
    10 years ago

I love Dr. Bronner's soap. It's natural and an all purpose cleanser for the home and for the body. I use it to wash my face and my hair when my scalp gets a little itchy and tight (I do follow up with a natural shampoo because it leaves a slight film) and it is great for the floors, walls and cupboards. I use the bar soap for my face and body though but love the product line in general.

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

Speaking of soap, that reminds me, I love the cheapy Jergen's bar soap. It is kind of hard to find though, I buy mine at Marc's. Walgreen's has it too I think. Cannot be found at Walmart or Target etc which is strange to me. I'm very allergic to bar soaps and don't like the sort that leave a oily feel/film on my skin such as Dove. I'll use Jergen's bar soap for as long as they continue to sell it.

I also love Dr. Bronner's baby liquid soap, it's fragrance free. I used it as a body wash with a scrubby. I cannot use it on my hair though as it eats it up, my hair is very fine and it is turns it to straw. The damage is lasting too until it grows out! So use caution when washing your hair with it, I would not suggest it for hair honestly.

• cookie8
    10 years ago

Hm, I do notice my hair is a little more dry. It's unfortunate because I love what it does to my scalp. My husband gravitates to Jergens and Ivory when he buys soap.