SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengardening

help ravencajun

bengardening
12 years ago

I am keeping my lookbook. Now I would like to know how I get my other free 125 books. Are they off of the free ebooks list or not? I went to kobo and set up an account but thats as far as I got. I still need to buy an sd card

then I will probably do it like you do to download them. Im sorryt for so many questions but I cant understand all of this and maybe I shouldnt have gotten one.

Comments (23)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

no problem I am glad to help and you just wait in a few days you will have it all mastered!

Once you have your Kobo account all set up when you connect your lookbook to wifi and hit the sync button on it then it will connect to the Kobo book website and it can fetch what ever books you have there in your kobo library, the other free books will be available to you there from the kobo store.
    I never bothered to load them to my lookbook actually since I was not interested in them and you can choose to pick any free ones from the kobo site and once you select those it will put them in your library and anytime you then hit the sync button on the lookbook and it can connect to wifi it will send them right to your lookbook. Those you will not need an sd card for they are downloaded right to the unit.

Read over that user manual I linked to it is really a very good manual and helped me very much in figuring out real quick how to do stuff, it is written in easy to understand terms.

Sure you should have one! If you can work a computer you can sure work that lookbook hey even my husband has it figured out LOL.

It is very important that when you first connect it to wifi you let it get those 2 major updates and install those it makes a big difference in how well it works.

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

Ravencajun, you will sure be busy this weekend... I just got back from Kohl's with a Pandigital Novel (7 inch). Got it for $60.00- I had a 10 off coupon and then an additional 14 off for using their ccard.

It is charging now so I will probably have questions in a bit!

• Related Discussions

Raven, Zep, Grandms A great BIG thank you!!

Q

Comments (3)
    I love it when everything works out that way! For my small part I say you are most welcome. The LzD team along with Corrine are a great group of people too. Nice to know you are well on your way to being all cleaned up.
    ...See More

Advice neded as to helping someone clean up their PC.

Q

Comments (8)
    If they have no antivirus protection on the pc the first thing to do is get that set up and installed but do not run a scan yet. I prefer Avast free over AVG but if you choose to do AVG I would go with the light install without the add on stuff. AVG 8.0 Free Edition FAQ I would do disc clean and or cccleaner(not registry cleaning) first so you get rid of any unnecessary files, then get and install superantispyware free, install, update run full scan let it clean what it finds. go on line to this site and let it run a scan. Get a FREE Online Virus Scan get and install spywareblaster, update and enable all protection. I would not get ADAware or spybot. Instead I would get malwarebytes. Scans should be run weekly with superantispware and malwarebytes. Once all that is done they can set the AV to do a scan when the pc is not active. If they get Avast on the download page on the left is the pdf manual for install and user info follow those instructions including how to register it. SUPERAntiSpyware SpywareBlaster 4.1 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. avast! 4 Home Edition - FREE antivirus make sure they have an active firewall or else turn on the windows firewall. And are current with windows critical updates. After all is cleaned I would do a defrag. Note if they have an AV program on the pc of course it must be fully removed before another program can be installed and run.
    ...See More

Ravencajun..need help changing AVs

Q

Comments (4)
    Sure, first click on this link and download the free version of app remover for xp. Download AppRemover once it is downloaded and installed on your pc run it and it will find the current versions of anti virus programs on your pc, select the one you want to remove which is MSE. Follow the steps. Once it is removed then you can install AVG free. This is a direct download link for the free version of AVG download it to your computer and then install by double clicking the AVG.exe file. If you want to go with AVAST free version this is the direct download link for the free version. Downloading Avast! Free Edition 2014 9.0.2016.330 Final that should do it for you.
    ...See More

Ravencajun, could I get a little help?

Q

Comments (4)
    That is asked so much that firefox has a response page for it. How to make the new Firefox look like the old Firefox Using the classic theme restorer will help alot. I have been able to make mine very similar to how it was. Try that and let me know how it goes. another article with some help options How to Make Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Look-Like Firefox 3.0? Some people chose to go with Pale Moon browser which is a version of firefox that maintained the old look. It is very similar. Pale Moon You could always install it and see how you like it and if not just uninstall or leave it as a back up.
    ...See More
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

The last few days I have spent happily reading on my lookbook. Then I went to Walmart and bought an SD card. After inserting the SD card, it would refuse to turn on. I have had to reset it many times.

I wouldn't worry so much about using an SD card except that I've only downloaded 12 books and half my memory is used up already. LOL I'm beginning to hate this lookbook.

Maybe when I connect to wifi and get the updates it will make a difference, I don't know. Today I went to McD's and used their wifi and although it did connect it didn't offer any updates. And I didn't think about hitting the sync. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

BTW, how would you delete prestored books?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

oh wow that is a great price on the Pandigital Novel, is that the white version or the black version? there is a user manual included in the library in the pandigital it may be under Barnes and Noble icon. You can also find it on their website.

Moonie it will definitely work much better once it gets those 2 updates. Usually as soon as you connect it to wifi it will search for updates and pop up with them. I don't recall that there is an update button in the settings but it would tell you that in the manual.

Did you have anything loaded on the sD card that you inserted? I would not put the SD card in the slot unless you have something on it you are wanting the unit to access like some books. You don't want the card in the unit when the card is blank.

Your memory should not be used up with 12 books at all, can you go to your over view info and give me the info you have there as to your version and all of that including what it says you have in memory etc too. Books are just text they take up hardly no room.

to connect it to the kobo store and sync you go across the top to where it selects store, that will take you to the store and show the list, then once it is there and your wifi is on you hit the sync button, it will then bring you right to the page where it shows all your free books, you can check off any you want to go ahead and move to the lookbook, you should be able to move all of them over and not make much of a dent in the memory.

Are you maybe looking at KB instead of MB for your memory?

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

I have the white one. I cannot get it to download the Kindle or Google book apps. I did the updates, I think. I followed the steps on the laptop and connected/disconnected the USB cord as directed but when I try to restart following the software directions, it just wants to completely turn off.

I took it to bed and read a little and liked it. Eric is not sure yet.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Good morning ladies!

raven - onboard storage 123 MB of 252 MB
    Software Version 2.0

Yes, I had gone to kobo and downloaded several books onto the SD card. My computer reads the card when inserted into the computer but my lookbook does nothing when I insert the card. Nothing! Then I have to reset it in order to turn the device back on.

Those 12 books I downloaded was via the usb cable but the lookbook came loaded with 25 books. So there are a total of 37 on it now.

Also, as mentioned, I connected to wifi in McD's yesterday and it prompted me to do nothing. I can't figure out the Account Info part. Is that something you have to do at the kobo store? And Adobe ID says not signed in. I have spent 3 days missing with this thing, then thinking I was hooking to wifi yesterday and all my problems would be solved. Didn't happen! LOL

Not having any problems downloading PDF files via the USB cord and opening with Adobe Reader then saving, then drag and drop. But I still can't get EPUB files to open.

I was going to go back to McD's today but the weather is so nasty. And McD's is 30 miles away. Should have just bought a router yesterday when I was out.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Oh, I meant to mention that I got my lookbook from the same lady that JoAnn got hers from. It stated that they were new but had been opened to make sure they were working properly. What would be the reason to do that?

I noticed that several of the books had been partially read but assumed that it was from where the lady was checking to make sure it worked. Then I thought that possibly she had done the updates. Does that make any sense?

DH may ride with me to McD's do try the wifi again. I think he is kind of irked with me. LOL

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

janie it should have the big update for it that changed it to Android 2.2, they originally came with 2.1 but the ones being sold now I think all have that update.
    Do you have the slide me app on it? that is how you can get a lot of apps, you do have to set the allow to get apps from other sources on the pandigital checked to allow.

Another place I have been getting a lot of my apps which is usually safe and clean is this place
    Android Freeware Lovers

Kindle 3.0.1.70
    go there for the kindle app click on where it shows the lates kindle apk, that will take you to another page with click here link do that and it should then start the download onto your pandigital, you should see the little download arrow up at the very top of your PDN. Once that is done, reach up and pull down your notifications bar up at the very top of your PDN and you will see where it lists that download, click that and it should install it for you.

Janie did it tell you that you needed updates? or did you just go to the website and do the update? If yours already had that update done you would not have had to do it from the website. You may have to try to do the factory reset.
    go to the settings page and tell me what your version info is and your android version.

Ok moonie, you do have to have the account info set up at kobo to be able to connect to it and download books from the kobo store.
    There is also the DRM account that has to be done if you want to download books that have the DRM on them you do not have to do that until you need it.(that is the adobe ID)
    in the info you gave me the software version what was our HW vesion?
    Mine is on 2.0(r23523, Jan 19 2011) for software so you may be good if that is what yours is.
    My HW is 2.6.24.223

I have many many books on mine, much more than yours, and my onboard storage is at 66MB of 252MB
    and I am only using 17MB of my 4GB Sd card.

I had the same thing happen to me with my first SD card, I could see it on my netbook but it did nothing in my lookbook, I tried a different SD card and it worked perfectly, it could be the SD card.
    OR does your lookbook see the pdf files on it but not the epub does it see anything on the SD?

Will the look book open the books that were pre loaded on it that it came with because those are all epub files

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

yes moonie that makes sense that the updates would have been done as soon as they connected it to wifi.
    However it sounds like you may have gotten a returned one, if it keeps doing what you are saying you might need to have her exchange it. Plus I just can not imagine what is using up all that memory that concerns me. If your info matches the info I provided from my lookbook then you do have the updates

Janie I meant to mention aldiko reader it is my fave ebook reader, it uses epub so you can get books all over the place unlike the kindle which only uses kindle books.
    here is the link for it.
    Aldiko Book Reader 2.00.081

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Grrrr, I am getting totally fed up. After putting it on the charger, I just tried to turn it on. Nothing! A reset did the trick, but I should not have to be resetting it so much.

HW version is 2.6.28.E13
    Software version exactly the same as yours.

Do you only access your account via the lookbook only rather than online on your computer? When I go to kobo I can't find anywhere to login. LOL

Concerning the SD card... the lookbook does not read anything from it. All books I put on the card were PDF plus one EPUB.

How is it possible I could get a bad lookbook AND a bad SD card? It's got to be me! :)

Or maybe I'll luck out and when I get to McD's and the wifi the updates will straighten it all out. Well, I'm not holding my breath! LOL

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

well moonie if your software and hw are the same as mine that would mean you do have the updates already so that should all be done, just check that software info see if that matches mine including the r info, my guess is they did do the updates on them prior to selling them, but if it keeps needing to be reset that is a problem with the unit.

No you can go to the kobo site on your computer and log in there also, on the main page look way up at the top on the far right it says sign in directly above where it says read on, that is what I usually do then any books you select there or buy will be listed in your library at kobo, then to get them to the lookbook you just connect to wifi, go to the store tab click that to the kobo store then the sync button will put all the stuff from the kobo store library onto your lookbook. Or you can of course download them to your pc and then to the SD card.

I asked last time are you able to open and read the books that came loaded on the lookbook? those are all epub that will let us know that it does read epub.

It could well be that she is selling units that had been returned that could be why the box was opened, the fact the box was open makes me suspicious.

Getting a bad Sd card does happen but you can return it for a new one. I have had good luck using the sony ones in mine, I picked up a few of them at Sears when they had them on sale.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

raven - thank you so much. It's very kind of you to spend so much time trying to help us out. We do appreciate it!

And sorry, yes I can read the epub books.

I just got back from McD's and was unable to connect to wifi. It said I had a connection but when I tried to go to the store it said was unable to connect, please check wifi connection. I didn't know if you should have to make an account with wifi or not so I attempted to do so. It gave both an ATT and one other option. Honestly, it got the best of me. I tried to join, to agree to terms, over and over again to the point I feel beat down. LOL (really i feel like crying!)

Last night I was up until 3AM messing with this thing, thinking I was doing something wrong and eventually would figure it out. Now, I'm pretty much done. If we determine it is a bad unit, then I will return it. If it's something that I'm doing wrong, I do not want to give the lady a bad rating.

I had to use another browser to navigate kobo because all the clickies where bunched on top of each other. Thats why I couldn't find the login button. Thanks

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

when you go to some places with free wifi you have to ask them for the access code, they often do that so people do not just sit outside and use it with out purchasing from them.

Ok if it reads the books that were on it then it is opening and reading epub files.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

oh moonie one very very important thing to get the lookbook to see your sd card you must have it FULLY turned off not just in hibernate, if you put the card in with it only in hibernate and start it up it will not pick up what is on the sd card!!

to make sure it is fully turned off hold the power button till your see the little spinning thing then it comes up and says shutting down. To know it is booting up from a full shut down when you turn your power on you will see the lookbook splash screen and it will take a while since it is fully booting up like a pc. When you power up from hibernate it comes right back up to what ever you had been viewing not the lookbook splash page and it will say accessing new content.
    That very well could be what you are doing wrong.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Hi raven. I called ahead of time to ask if they had wifi and if you need a password. Uou don't have to have an access code and since you didn't mention it, I'm assuming you shouldn't need to make a wifi account. Also, the lookbook was completely shut down all the times I tried the card. I'm just beginning to think that I've got a bad unit. I don't like it when something gets the best of me. LOL

And I'm like you.... it worries me what's going on with the memory.

• bengardening
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok sorry again last night on our way home from michigan we stopped at a MCDS and I took my look book along in. I tried to get wifi and it wouldnt work the first time then 3 came up and after the name of them it said [none]. so not knowing what Im doing I tried to go to the store and it wouldnt take me there. So now what did I do wrong?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

I'm afraid we're in the same boat, bengardening!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

when it shows a list of names of wifi networks, if it does not say they are secured, you have to click on that one and select it as the one you want your unit to connect to. if they say they are secured then you will not be able to connect with out a password. You can have it scan for networks.

For example here at my house when mine turns on it pops up showing mine plus 2 of my neighbors, all of which say secured, I entered my password for my wifi once and now it automatically just connects to that one since it is saved.

It does take time sometimes to find networks and then to connect it will vary on the distance and the strength of their network.

• bengardening
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was going to also say. Last night I was looking in the glove compartment in the car. I pulled out the owners manual. I said "o look a case for my lookbook". The case is a black one that my lookbook fits in perfectly. I will make a liner for it and I think it will work perfectly. The owners manual doesnt need one.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

raven - when you say it "does take some time" are you meaning more than 5 minutes? Perhaps I was impatient. Does it show anything when it's connecting? It didn't even show the little icon thingy whirling. I have not yet decided whether or not I am going to return mine. Probably will, though. Just want to make sure that it's actually the unit and not the user. :)

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

Okay, I have been playing with my PDN and managed to put two email icons on the homepage. How do I get them off. There are several icons on the homepage that I want off and several from the "secondary homepage- the one that appears when I run my hand across the home page) that would be nice to have on the main homepage. i looked through the manual but only saw where it showed me to add more icons.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

bengardening your lookbook should have come with a very nice case, the case is included. That was one of the nice things that the case came with it for such a good price.

But that is funny because my new sylvania tablet did not come with a case and Friday night my husband walked in with a brand new leather Infinity case, they had a bunch of extras. and it fits my tablet great. Back when we were all getting the Pandigitals several people on one of the android forums had found that owner manual cases would fit them.

moonie it depends on how good of a signal it is trying to pick up it can take several minutes, it may say searching, it may say trying to locate signal, if it finds one it should say trying to obtain IP address.
    When it gives you the list of names of the wifi that it has found then you click it on that one you want and it should ask if you want to connect or something like that.
    Have you gotten that far has it given you a list of possible wifi connections it has found?
    I have at times had to just keep hitting the wifi button to do it over till it catches and starts searching. Now that mine is in memory now though it finds mine pretty quickly.

janie to delete any icon just put your fingernail right on that icon and hold it steady pressure it should then hilight or change and when it does a trash can should appear and you then drag it to the trash can. If you have one on say the home page to the right and you want it on the main homepage same thing put finger on it hold pressure the drag it over till it flips over to the other home page. There are other ways to do it also but that is usually the easiest.
    Were you able to get your kindle and the aldiko apps?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

janie were you able to do the delete icons?