SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

$247,932.00 - Holy smokes that's a lot of money!

rosemaryt
13 years ago

My crazy old father - who art in assisted living - is 91 years old. He started smoking when he was 16. Since then, he's smoked 2+ packs a day. Actually, that's not true. For a time in the 1970s and 80s, he was closer to three packs a day.

I've always joked that the only time he needs a lighter is at 5:30 am - to light the first cigarette of the day. The rest of them are lit sequentially. My husband calls him "a heroic abuser of tobacco."

Today, he was down to his last pack. In response to his non-stop phone calls, I went to the store and tried to purchase five cartons of cigarettes. The clerk said, "you mean packs?" I said, "No, I mean cartons."

They only had three cartons and I bought them all. Cost: $48.50 a pack, times three = $145.50.

That'll hold him for about two weeks. That realization led me to do some math. At his current rate of consumption, that's $300 a month (a little less) for smokes.

Figuring this out in today's dollars, that means my father has spent $247,932 on cigarettes in the last 75 years. In today's dollars. Not including medical costs, of course. They're well over $300,000.

Gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

My father and his twin brother "Junior" in 1919. Note Junior (on the right) is holding my father's widdle paw.

Pictured below is my father in the 1960s in Santa Monica, during a visit with his parents on 14th Street.

Comments (24)