SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

And 3000 pounds of pet food! (pics)

marilyn_c
13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the congrats on me winning the horse feed.

We (my rehab partner and I) also had 4 donations this week of pet food, for a total of close to 3000 pounds. Costco, Walmart, the food bank and a shelter donated it. We routinely get donations from these places, but it doesn't usually all come in at once, and lately, the donations have been very slow, and I've had to buy food for the raccoons which is very expensive.

I know a lot of people don't agree with feeding wildlife, but I am betting, they didn't move right into the middle of raccoon territory. We have about 40 to 60 raccoons that drop by every night. If I didn't feed them, I would have to fight them, because they would be into everything. As it is, they come, they eat, and they leave...except for the

few that actually live in trees in my yard.

I started feeding them because when I moved here, I raised waterlilies and I had waterlily tanks all over the place. As long as I fed them, they left the waterlilies alone.

Sort of like the Raccoon Mafia. I never skip feeding them and if I have to be away, which is very seldom, I have someone to come here and put out the food. Otherwise they would kill all my chickens, among other things.

I have fed them for 15 years and one of the original raccoons is still here. Another one is 8 (or 9) years old and is one that I raised. The rest I am not sure about because I don't take time to get to know them, like I did when I first moved here. A lot of them are little ones.

This is how much I feed every night.

We keep the extra food in a storage unit and I go by there almost every day to pick up some. When I come home, if I am a little late, a couple of little ones, jump in the back of the truck and start helping themselves. Look at this guy standing here with his partner in crime...and note the

piece of cat food he is holding in his hand.

Also, the raccoons aren't tame. They are somewhat used to me, but they won't let anyone walk up to them. Even the one I raised, will not let anyone except me get close to her.

Comments (18)