SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

If your boss asked you to do several hours work for no pay ...

joyfulguy
13 years ago

... what would you say? And, if he wanted you to do so every month?

Many people who let themselves get impatient do such to themselves, it seems to me: tell me if I'm wrong.

Sometimes we need to buy something rather urgently and use a credit card to do so, even though we lack the money to pay the balance owing in full by the required payment date.

But often the things that we buy are not something that we need urgently, but could wait for a while to enjoy, to either pay for in cash, or pay the credit card bill in full before the due date.

If our impatience causes us to buy something(s) that we don't really need now that we can't pay for in full by the due date ...

... we have to pay interest on that loan. Not only that, if we carry a balance from a previous bill and make new purchases on the card, we don't get the fee-free period until the due date that we do without carrying such a balance over from the previous period.

As most regular cards charge about 18% annual rate, to be paid, if the item is not deductible, from after-tax money, we must earn about 23% pre-tax in order to have the 18% to pay the interest on the loan.

Store-issued cards usually charge about 28% annual rate, so if the purchase is non-deductible and we are in 20% income tax bracket, we must earn 35% pre-tax in order to have the 28% to pay on the loan.

Had we the self-discipline to be willing to wait a while until we could pay cash for the goods, or pay the card balance in full by the due date, we could have avoided that interest payment.

Being unwilling to wait to make the purchase, and incurring substantial interest cost ... is something like working for nothing, isn't it?

Learning how money works - an interesting hobby ... **that pays well**!!

ole joyful

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor