SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

How would you word this letter to my boss?

amicus
14 years ago

I have been working for one year, after being a S.A.H.M. for almost 18 years. I naively accepted the position for the amount they said was the "starting rate" because I did not realize I might have negotiated something higher. Because I have not yet received any pay increase, I accepted that this must be the amount I will earn for the first year. However, as I am beginning my second year next month, I am getting ready to request a salary increase.

Our Daycare Centre has grown, so an additional Assistant was just hired. She happened to mention her starting rate, I guess assuming that I was making at least the same. I certainly can't blame her for being offered or negotiating a $1.00 per hour higher starting rate. However, I do feel completely justified in expecting to receive a salary increase that will put me on par with hers, since I've worked for a year now with 2 excellent evaluations, and there is no difference in our qualifications.

Should I simply ask for a raise based on the fact that I'm beginning my second year of employment with 2 excellent evaluations, or should I also mention that I wish to receive parity to bring me up to the same salary as newly hired Assistants?

Comments (9)