SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beergutself

What do you pay for your cleaning help?

beergutself
17 years ago

I live in a rural area north of Dallas. I pay my help $10.00 per hour. There is an abundance of illegal aliens in the area so labor is cheaper than other areas of the U.S. We lived in Vermont a few years ago and paid local lady (who was not very good) $20.00 per hour as that was the going rate in that area.

I am very happy with my cleaning help. She takes pride in her work and will do baseboards, ceiling fans, blinds, when I ask her to. My dilemma is that when she first started working for me 2 years ago she had a helper with her. They would spend 4 hours on my 3500 sq house. They talked alot but seemed to work diligently the whole time. I paid them $80.00 for the job. About a year ago her helper took another job so she has been on her own since.

I then paid her $60.00 for the job that took her 4.5 to 5 hours because I was so happy with her work. In the past few months I have noticed my house doesn't smell as "cleaned" as it used to and I find areas she missed. In the past month she has been leaving after 3.5 hours. I noticed my bathroom floor not mopped and the jacuzzi tub still dirty. When I asked her about it the next time she came out she was apoligetic, but said she had cleaned what I said she missed.

I also told her that she's leaving a lot earlier than she used to and I can tell the house isn't clean like it used to be. Since that conversation a week ago, she came yesterday and had her teenage daughter with her. I kept her pay at $60.00. They stayed 3 hours and did a good job. She thumbed through the money to count the 20's and gave me a look like I should pay her more, but I'm still a bit miffed about the times she only stayed 3.5 hours and got $60.00 working on her own.

I've told her in the past to let me know if and when her hourly rate increases. She told me several times to pay her what I can. Any advice on how to handle this situation?

Comments (8)