SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

How do you clean your hardwood kitchen floors? (X-posted on cleaning)

rebeccamomof123
8 years ago

I have original oak hardwood on most of my main floor. About 14 years ago we had it refinished when we bought the house, and had them do 3 or 4 coats of poly, so it still has a relatively shiny finish. We did our kitchen about 3 years ago, and had oak laid in there to match the old. It also has the same finish. What is the best method and cleaning solution to clean my wood floors without damaging the finish? When my kids were really little and crawling on the floors, I cleaned them constantly, and used to get on my hands and knees and wipe it section-by-section with a solution of two parts warm water to one part Murphy's Oil and wipe dry with a towel, as I went. Now, I'm getting a little lazier, so I just do a daily sweep after meals, and every two weeks or so I use the Swifter Bissell stick steam mop, with microfiber washable pad (instead of the disposable swifter pads that I don't think work well). I add a little Murphy's to the reservoir with the water (mostly because I think it helps make the floor smell clean). And sometimes, after it's dry, I use a sponge mop to work in a coat of Holloway House Quick Shine to get that nice shine back.

Am I using the right method & products?

Comments (14)