SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

What's to be gained by lying? What's the harm?

bee0hio
13 years ago

If a person whose honesty is in doubt doesn't have some obvious pay-off in material goods (money, gifts, etc.) there are some posters who believe that a story being posted therefore MUST be true... i.e."If they aren't asking for money, then there is no reason to lie." And further, "Even IF they lied, "What harm has been done to you?"

Tally posted the link below & I took the time to read the article. (Thanks, Tally) It's really too good to be overlooked & might have been lost in the fray. Both the above conclusions would be wrong. The pay-off can be non-material in nature & there IS harm to the group, as well as to individuals.

Here's a small excerpt:

Three lost souls with heart-rending stories, they clicked their way to Internet support groups, where they elicited outpourings of sympathy from fellow sufferers.

All three were incorrigible fakers. They lied their way into networks of people with real troubles who had come to care about one another and to think of themselves as communities. For months the frauds strung along their on-line audiences, which included many people who were living through genuine crises and tragedies but who had nonetheless extended themselves to comfort others.

Eventually, tripped up by their own lies and confronted by their victims, the intruders withdrew. But they had broken the trust of the groups they invaded, leaving members hurt, angry, embarrassed and suspicious of one another....

Why would anyone do such terrible things? Dr. Feldman said most people with factitious disorders were ''longing for nurturing, sympathy, care and concern that they feel unable to get in appropriate ways.'' They also like being treated as heroes and admired for their courage in the face of adversity.

''But some may have a bit of sadistic motivation in that they get some glee in deceiving others,'' Dr. Feldman said.

There's lots more. It's a really informative article, surprisingly, written in 1998, the year that the KT came into being. It sheds some light into understanding "Why?" and also "Why would you question someone's honesty?"

Here is a link that might be useful: I encourage you to read this.

Comments (9)