SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

OK--do you have a lot of shoes?

socks
12 years ago

I think I have quite a few shoes, but I believe I need them all (LOL!) because they all have different purposes: dressy heels, flats, sandals, clogs, hiking boots, beat up yard shoes, walking shoes, slippers. Looks like about 20 pair. I'm not going to wear my dressy shoes to the grocery store or my walking shoes to church, so that's why I need these shoes. But I don't owe a credit card balance on them!

Do you think men need fewer kinds of shoes than women?

Comments (32)

• patti43
    12 years ago

Socks, if it was up to Harry he'd have one pair of shoes in the closet. I swear--that man!

I probably have 20 pair, but when I worked I had at least double that. Love shoes--but I'm a pay-as-you-go kind of gal. Now they're more for comfort than style.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I don't have a lot...one pair of tennis shoes, a couple pair of sandals and 2 pairs of boots. I wear them until they fall apart.

Shoes are hard to fit for me, so I don't just buy them willy-nilly. :)

• Related Discussions

HAVE: I can't make it to ricks swap but Lots to trade

Q

Comments (1)
    We'll miss you! -Marie
    ...See More

shoes shoes shoes...

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm not sure - but I'll list them and see: 2 pair basic pumps for work (black/navy) 1 pair black loafers (work/casual summer) 2 pair black ankle boots (work/asual winter) 1 pair knee-high snow boots 2 pair dress flats (silver/brown) 2 pair "dressy" heels (black/cream) 1 pair tennis shoes 1 pair yard loafers 1 pair flip flops for summer 1 pair black vinyl knee length heeled platform boots (for Halloween type dress up) 14 total, looks like. I'm okay with that - the "dressy" heels and flats I hardly ever wear, but I do need to keep them for those rare occasions I need a nice shoe in a specific color for a holiday party or some random event. I never wear the navy pumps, so those could probably go, but it's nice to have the option should I want it, and they're in good shape. I wear the heels out on a pair of pumps and ankle boots every year (due to daily wear, I'm sure), so I generally buy a new pair once per year, toss the old ones. This year I might see if I can just have them re-heeled though...
    ...See More

Do you have a great pair of everyday shoes?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a pair of black suede flats with a half inch wedge running along the bottom(paid about $75 for those). Or...the navy blue air in the sole pair slip ons I purchased at a sporting goods store. Or....the light tan suede Borns, they tie on the top. The black suede Rockport mules. Comfy shoes are HIGH on my list of necessities! :0)
    ...See More

OK, do you like it light or dark when sleeping?

Q

Comments (53)
    I like it very quiet and also dark but do have a night light and can't sleep if it goes out when power goes off and now the light from my clock radio beside the bed. I have this tiny flashlight that I use when have to go to bathroom as the nightlight isn't any good for that, its actually a green light and so its not a bright one by anything. I have black out curtains someone sent to me and I love them alot. I wake up with slightness sounds. Pets I loved them but kept waking me up and couldn't get good night solid sleeps. kathy
    ...See More
  • redcurls
    12 years ago

Back in my working days, I once counted 72 pairs. I'm much choosier now and won't wear any that aren't really comfortable. Probably have a little less than 20 pairs now....and at least 6 of those are seldom worn except for a special occasion.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Yes, many many pairs. And boots, too. Do I wear them? Nah. All summer long I have been wearing a pair of cute born sandals I got at a thrift store for $3.00-(they were new so it was a really good deal).

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

No I do not have many pairs of shoes.

Sue

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

I'm very "easy" on shoes, and I like good leather, etc....but I also mainly shop the annual Nordstrom sale(bought a pair just last week).
    Some of my shoes are old enough to vote !
    That said....I took a count, and there's 42 - that's counting winter boots, but not what might be under the bed !

• jae_tn2
    12 years ago

i won't even say how many i last counted...... now i wear just one or two when i go out. i gave most of the good ones away. like monica, i have lots that are old since i rarely get rid of any and i buy good leather that never wear out. having said that, i always indulged myself if i saw some that i really liked. i just returned from the mall where i was looking longingly at many. shall we talk purses.....lol!

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Oh gosh, I do, and I got rid of a bunch of them last fall. Right now I have about 50 pairs, plus boots. . . and I donated nearly that many to the help center and YWCA women's clothing drive. (hanging my head in shame) Now that I work from home I had no reason to keep them all but it was hard giving them up!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Nope, not many at all. One pair everyday loafers, one pair of sandals, two pairs of sneakers and one pair of dressy black flats.

That's it. I don't even want more. I appreciate lovely shoes, but I don't feel any need to give them a home, LOL.

• wildchild
    12 years ago

Shoes? Not many. Boots and flips flops? Tons. I am easy on my footwear so I have boots that are very old.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

I have one pair of Texas Steer hightop steeltoe workboots that I bought at K-mart 6 yrs ago and wore them to work everyday for 4yrs, one pair of black dress shoes, which I probably haven't worn ten times in the last 8 or 9 years, one pair of viet nam vintage canvas & leather jungle combat boots, which I wear for hiking and everyday and someplace I have a pair of expensive western boots, which I dearly love, but Jan can't remember where she stashed them.

ooooooooooooooooh yes..i also have three pair of heavy socks with little rubber anti-slip things on the bottom which they gave me in the hospital to use for house slippers.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Not too many, maybe 20 pairs..mostly I wear my Skechers in the Summer and my UGGS in the winter. These days I'm all about comfort. Most of them are just old shoes I keep for that special occasion. Seldom wear any sandals since my feet get too cold up here in Ohio. Yeah it's hot as heck outside but it's cold inside building.

• bigack
    12 years ago

I have three pair, all gym shoes. I can't wear heels, flats, flip flops or anything else, darn.

• Pooh Bear
    12 years ago

I keep 3 pairs of shoes. All 3 are exactly the same.
    One new pair for away from home, one old pair for around
    the house, and one real old pair to wear in the river.
    Same brand, same style, and usually the same price ($12.99).
    I just rotate them out when I need a new pair.

I don't even have to go shoe shopping. I just tell Cindy
    to pick me up a pair next time she is over in town.

Pooh Bear

• azzalea
    12 years ago

I hate shoes. If it were up to me, I'd go everywhere barefoot.

Let's see--I've got 2 pairs of sandals (clarks, of course), but one is about to go to the trash. 1 pair of sneakers. And a couple of pairs of Clarks clogs--which I wear for everyday, and dressy. With my foot problems, they're all I'm supposed to wear.

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

Not really, but I have lots of Birkenstock sandals. :)

Lots, well, I think around 12 pairs. Not sure, because most are still in storage.

Moni

• chloecat
    12 years ago

I have probably close to a hundred pairs, if you count about two dozen pairs of flipflops.

I work in a professional office, so I wear anything from sandals to flats to pumps to wedges to boots. Weekends I wear wedges or pumps or flats or sneakers or flipflops.

:)

• bengardening
    12 years ago

I have a pair of flip flops, 2 tennies 1 pair for work and one for almost all of the other times. 2 pair of sandals and 3 pairs of black shoes and 1 pair of brown boots. Most of them have been given to me. I work as a cook so I dont need a lot of shoes and dont want a lot.

• joann23456
    12 years ago

Nope, not too many. It's not my thing, and I have bad feet, so it's hard to find comfortable shoes that look good enough to wear.

• nicole_ont
    12 years ago

Exactly 21 pairs - always.

I have 2 shoe hangers in my bedroom closet that hold 10 pairs each. And I keep 1 pair on the main floor closet.

Whenever I buy a new pair of shoes, I get rid of one of the pairs that I already have. Everything has to have a home, and we're short on storage space!

That said, I LOVE shoes! :)

• ronf_gw
    12 years ago

What is it with women and shoes? Bigbaby has closets full of them.

I have 4 pair: Work boots, dress shoes, casual shoes and a pair of sandals. The sandals were added just in the last 5 years. Until then 3 pair were always enough. Bigbaby must be rubbing off on me.

Ron

• heather_on
    12 years ago

I have about half a dozen pair but only wear 3 pairs. I wear my shoes until they are completely worn out and then replace them. I never spend a whole lot of money on shoes.

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

I'd say close to 50 pairs. Last time I counted it was about 46 and I've picked up some more since then. I also pulled out about 6 pair that I no longer wear that I will donate. I generally don't spend much money on them until recently. I bought a pair of Riekers and Keens in the last year.

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 pair, give or take a few. I love shoes. Do I wear them all? Well, there are several pair I almost never wear, and then maybe a dozen pair I wear a lot. The rest I wear but not as often. And I'm always adding.

I shop clearance and bargains so I never spend very much on any one pair of shoes. Usually under $40 and often under $15.

I like to wear sandal type shoes in the summer, so I have tons of sandals, in flats, low heals and high heals. Lots of flip flops for casual. A few pairs of sneakers. A few pairs of boots. Pumps of course. A couple pair of loafer type shoes. Etc.

Did I mention, I love shoes!? LOL

BTW, today I'm wearing a pair of shiny bronze colored strappy sandals with a kitten heal. :)

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I don't wear high heels. I have about 10 pairs of sandals for summer. Some are dressy, some casual. For winter, I have about 3 pairs of clogs. My criteria for winter shoes is that they have plenty of traction so I don't fall on the ice or snow.

• chisue
    12 years ago

I did a serious shoe clearance last winter. Bags and bags of shoes (and clothing) went off to Salvation Army.

I just counted, and I have 15 pair. Almost half are dress shoes that will probably outlive me at the rate at which I am NOT going anywere 'dressy'. Two are Reeboks; they don't last long.

One pair I fear will not outlive me: Rockport black fabric lace-up oxfords with a two-inch clunky heel -- and steel shanks. They have at least ten years of heavy mileage on them.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

I have - give or take - about 60 pair. That include dress boots, hiking, cowboy, mud, work, sneakers, heels, flats, shower, slides, flip-flops, slippers and sandals.
    (Did I miss a category?)

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

For all the men out there. Men need a pair of casual shoes, a pair of dress shoes, a pair of sneakers and maybe a pair of running shoes. Women need, High heels, medium heels, dressy flats, dressy heels, winter shoes to go with different outfits, summer sandals to go with different outfits, sneakers, running shoes and on and on and on. I don't think I have a lot of shoes, but DH thinks I do. I did get rid of some this year and think I can weed out some more.

• paula_pa
    12 years ago

I probably have more than I need but not an extreme amount. As you can see, women have a tendency to buy more shoes than they can possibly ever wear and that's where I come in. Almost all of my shoes are from Goodwill or yard sales but still new and usually brand name (anyone else ever buy a pair of Merrells for 50 cents??? Clarks for $4.50????)

I do buy my running shoes from other sources since they have to be Asics but it's easy to find a good deal on those. I buy one pair at a time, wear them until they need to be replaced, then I buy a new pair. I keep the old pair on hand in case I need a pair of getting dirty shoes (yard work, painting, etc). Whenever I get a new pair, I shift them and throw the oldest pair out so I always only have two pairs of running shoes.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Paula, a couple of years ago, I saw a pair of Stuart Weitzman summer sandals, my size, in a hospital thrift store - for $4.50.

Soles and insoles were pristine...they had never been worn.

Needless to say, I bought them.

• workoutlady
    12 years ago

Yep, I have more than I actually need but I know of lots of women that have many more than I do. I'd say I have about 20 pair. I just bought a new pair yesterday and my daughter just bought 2 new pair yesterday. She can always find her size on sale. My shoe size is common so I can't usually get my shoes on sale.

• nievette
    12 years ago

I have 10 pairs.

Nieve

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!