SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

14 of the 17 chicks have fledged; busy in my front yard

caroline94535
14 years ago

Three of the four Purple Martin nests, 14 of the 17 chicks, have fledged.

This shows a gathering of my fledglings, along with visiting Purple Martins from other sites, and some SY males that have been terrorizing the neighborhood.

We can FLY!

The chicks in Gourd 4 still have some growing to do. They should fledge in a week or so.

They're being fed constantly by their ASY dad and SY mom, and once in a while by a lone SY male that must have a strong nesting instinct. For the past two weeks he's been feeding chicks in all the gourds.

The rest of the colony is still staying in the gourds at night. The fledglings spend the days flying and hunting with all the other PMs in the area, but return to the home place several times a day. They're still fed by their parents, too.

It's a busy, busy time of the season right now.

Big Boy

This was taken two or three days before they fledged from Gourd 6.

The chicks were "big and beefy" this year. They had a lot of heft for their size.

We've been having low 50s-high 40s at night. I guess it takes a lot of size to deal with the cooler temps. They've been fed, and are now feeding, well in the daytime.

The things you notice when you download photos...forgive the state of my cuticles. I'd been grubbing in the dirt and scraping grout this week. There's no time or energy to be prissy in the short summer. LOL

What a difference. This is how Big Boy looked in mid-July. They grow so fast.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH