SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asterid

advice on hedge, fence, or wall between yard and busy road

Asterid
10 years ago

We just moved into a 1950s colonial which sits on a stony ledge on a 6000 sq ft corner lot. [Edit: see pictures below]

Between the base of the ledge and a busy road, there's a neglected strip of land about 80' x 15'. 10 feet of the width belong to us, and about 5 feet probably belong to the town. I'd like to build some sort of barrier to separate our yard from the road.

By doing this I hope to:
- have some additional gardening space (it has our southern exposure)
- give our kids a little additional outdoor space to play in. They're responsible and not likely to run into the road esp. if there is a clear line not to cross.
- discourage people from throwing trash as they walk or drive past... I'm picking up about 5 pieces of litter a day
- make that side of the property look more attractive
- mute a little of the road noise
- Maybe one day extend the narrow sidewalk that runs along that side of the road but ends a few properties away from ours

Originally I thought I'd like to plant hedge (privet or lilac, need something that can handle road salt) but I found that the soil is tremendously hard and rocky. I tried planting a couple of baby lilacs but was unable to scoop more than 7 inches with my trowel (don't have any better equipment right now.) I'm not sure how far the bedrock is underneath.

What would be the best choice-- a hedge, a fence, or a wall? Or something else? If I were in funds I would have a stone wall built and possibly add more soil, but I don't know how involved this would be. I'm reasonably handy but not very muscular.

Thanks for your suggestions!

This post was edited by Asterid on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 22:17

Comments (14)