SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msnpdx

Want 4 foot tall hedge along dusty gravel road

msnpdx
14 years ago

I discovered this forum while searching the web for english laurel. Your posts have been very helpful and I now know all the reasons english laurel is NOT the right plant for this particular application, despite a local nursery visiting my property and suggesting it to me. So thank you.

I own a small acreage property in rural Yamhill County in the heart of Oregon's wine country. Our home is set back about 100 feet from a gravel road with no barrier of any sort between our home and the road. First and foremost I would like to create a cost-effective natural barrier that provides some psychological separation between the home and the road, but which also does not obscure our sight line as we enjoying seeing our neighbors drive by and like to wave and say hello to eachother. So, the first requirement is that I'd like to maintain a maximum height of 4 feet for the hedge.

The second issue is that the road is gravel and throws off a lot of dust in the summertime, though we treat the road each year to minimize the dust. The nurseryman who visited said certain plants won't cope well with the dust which is partly why he suggested the waxy green leaf of the english laurel. Given that I am NOT going to use the english laurel, what plant will cope well with the dust?

We have about 150-200 linear feet of road frontage we would like to plant. The hedge would run north to south (so east/west sun) and the soils are primarily the red Jory soil series found in the vineyards around the Dundee Hills, which I believe run a little acidic.

Stylistically, I like the look of a well manicured hedge, like a traditional boxwood or hew, but don't want to wait very long for the growth to occur. I also like the larger leaf of the english laurel and the way that hedge looks when kept short and well manicaured, like you see around Portland's West Hills or the Dunthorpe neighborhood.

Appreciate the advice you can provide. Your comments on the other, similar posts have been extremely helpful. I wanted to post this specific request because of the dust issue, the short (4ft) height requirement, and the 150 foot length of the hedge (ie, cost and maintenace).

Comments (17)