SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nolefan_2006

Pee Wee vs. Munchkin and spacing for a hedge

nolefan_2006
11 years ago

I would like to plant a bed/hedge of dwarf oakleaf hydrangea along the north side of my home (side of the house, not the front). The bed will be raised up 6" or so. The soil will be comprised of potting soil that my landscaper makes himself. I use it in my raised bed garden with great results. Excellent drainage.

So, I'm deciding on what dwarf to plant and I need advice. I have 17 feet of planting space bookended by a fence on one end and my heat pump on the other. The enclosed picture only captures part of the planting area. I will separately enclose some other pictures (although none are great) to show the area, before and after my partial update.

1. For a northern exposure Florida 9a/8b location does Munchkin or Pee Wee have an advantage over the other? WIll one bloom more reliably in a northern with light but no direct sunlight? I think I'm leaning toward Munchkin because Dirr's book says it gets 3.5 to 4 x 4 feet whereas Pee Pee according to him gets 3.5 to 4.5 x 6 feet. He's in GA and I'm in FL with a longer growing season. I just don't want the hydrangeas to take over my house or grow into my path.

Which would bloom more profusely in my light?

2. My bed would be 17' long by 5' wide. What would my spacing be? I don't want them to grow into my heat pump and I want to make sure they get good air circulation. I'd like for them to just touch each other and look good. I don't want the bed to look anemic.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)