SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsmyparty_gw

4 acres - needs design, gets blueberries

itsmyparty
15 years ago

I don't have a photo yet.

My front yard East of Atlanta is about 100' wide. The 7 year-old brick house (12' pillars on brick bases, two dormers, full rocking-chair porch) faces the road and is set about 100' back on a gravel drive that comes right down the middle of the yard.

Gravel road out front is not busy, is set about 30' higher than the house, so there's a bit of a grade.

House faces North and a little west.

West yard is heavily treed.

East yard (50 x 100') was completely rototilled by a pile of machines that took up every single tree about 2 years ago (leaving a 10' border of 40' miscellaneous pines along the East boundary). Last year we planted grass, and there's a bit of green fuzz, so far this year.

Now it's time to replant.

DH bought 27 (I kid you not) 3 gallon blueberry bushes due for delivery two weeks from now, with 2 (one white, one pink) crepe myrtles.

DH almost certainly wants to create a wall between us & the neighbors (don't need one, but the 27 plants would work). My own design philosophy is that a wall of blueberries is unimaginitive and boring - and probably 4-6' high and wide, each one. And the two crepe myrtles need a home (DH figures I'll "stick them somewhere").

Could I plant 3 or 4 (or 7) blueberries in circles around the crepe myrtles to create "islands"?

Objections:

1) Maybe blueberries don't like direct sun and crepe myrtles do?

2) Maybe blueberries will grow almost as tall as the crepe myrtles & their branches will compete & tangle?

Would it look better to have two, single crepe myrtles surrounded by blueberries, or plant the crepes next to each other with a bunch of blueberries around them? Should each crepe myrtle have its own island, or can they share one without tangling branches? Or is tangling OK?

Alternately, would the crepe myrtles thrive along the east border between the blueberries and the 40' pines (I think it's too dark for them)?

Yet another alternative: I could plant the crepe myrtles in the middle of the 50' x 100' hill on the east side of the driveway and leave the blueberries in a row (maybe plant clumps of azaleas and dwarf nandina to break them up, color & height-wise), but any suggestions what short evergreens I could plant underneath the crepe myrtles (and perhaps a companion tree with them) so I've got an "island"?

Comments (9)