SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_overalls

Just retired, need advice

pink_overalls
15 years ago

I am hoping that some KT members who are retirees can help me from making mistakes in my so-called golden years. DH and I have just retired. I am 66 and he is 63, and we are both in good health but on a very limited budget.

I am old enough to know that early on in any project or relationship, precedents are set. It seems that what happens in the beginning sets all the rules. So, I want to lay the groundwork for a satisfying retirement.

We have all heard stories and jokes about couples going a little crazy with having to spend so much time together. DH and I enjoy each otherÂs company and we have worked together in self employment for the length of our marriage, 16 years. But, we do have different interests and different body clocks.

The problem I am foreseeing is that he will be counting on me to be the Cruise Director, you know, in charge of creating entertainment, and also accompanying or assisting him in his projects. I am looking forward to reading, sewing, gardening, crafting and socializing with my friends and family. We do share an interest in boating and travel, but both these interests take money we donÂt have to spend. He isnÂt much of a reader (unless about boats), craftsperson, sports enthusiast, or social networker. The closest family we have is two hours away.

Since women often have more household responsibilities and interests than men, I suspect that this is a common scenario, so I came here to pick brains. If you have tips and lessons learned from experience, please pass them along. I want to do the things I love and have looked forward to pursuing, yet not give my husband the message that heÂs on his own. Please donÂt mention joining clubs or volunteering because we already do all of that we want to do (boat clubs, gardening clubs, meals on wheels, community watch...).

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County