SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamalapa

Menopause (lengthy, sorry!)

Maura63
12 years ago

Not sure if this a a "taboo" topic here.....

But I am hoping some women here can share their "experience" with this time of life.

I've read health articles about this topic, but not much in the way of anecdotal information. One article says that the way your mother or grandmother fared is a good predictor of how I might fare as well. However, neither are living -- and I don't think my Mom had a "natural" menopause having had a hysterectomy in her mid-40s.

So here I am, about to be 48 (on Friday). I started having what I assume to be "hot flashes" in mid-July. Didn't think too much about it at the time (it's been a hot summer!)

I am mostly regular in my "cycle", usually every 28-32 days. But it has been 7 weeks, and I don't feel PMS.

A few weeks back, when I was having food cravings I figured it was PMS. Then when it didn't happen I realized I can't give in to these food cravings any longer if being PMS was no longer an "excuse to indulge" (LOL)

I am also due to for my annual OB-GYN visit this summer. Usually I call to schedule when I know the "timing" is right. I will call today to schedule an appointment (which will be in two weeks, the earliest my schedule allows).

I guess I am wondering if menopause can be "sudden" as appears to be the case with me. I thought there would be indicators beforehand i.e irregular cycle....

I was assuming that it would happen after 50, and two years ago I made a goal to be at an ideal weight before reaching menopause.... I have been successfully working toward this goal, but still have another 15-20 pounds to go. I am hoping that "menopause" will not derail these efforts.

I apologize if this is a "TMI" subject. (And I apologize to the men here, ha ha).

Thanks for reading -- and no, I haven't taken a pregnancy test -- but I also don't "feel" like I did when I was previously pregnant. It's those "hot flashes" that are leading me to believe it is menopause. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon or suddenly.

Any "stories" you can share from your personal experience would be appreciated. Was it gradual or sudden? What "symptoms" did you experience? What new "challenges" did you encounter?

Thank you in advance. I don't post too often -- but I lurk now-and-then, and always come away the wiser after spending time here. In a way, the information shared here serves as surrogate "motherly advice" for me.

So thank you :-)

Comments (39)

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

I think I made life hell for Jerry. But since I always felt like he had it coming, who cares. LOL

Mood swings were tough, hot flashes didn't bother me much in the winter, as I could always dash outside and cool off. But they were miserable in the summer.

I could usually feel them come on, and just stripped down to a skimpy top, which I got in to the habit to always wear as a first layer. I did better being able to toss off warmer outer layers.

Sex wise, it didn't change things for me/us.

Anything else you want to know?

Oh, yeah, I didn't take anything. I just let it run its course.

Moni

PS, I am 57, and mine started around 48 years of age

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I was much like you, all of a sudden, nor more periods! I sort of freaked thinking it would be a process not an event, but my gynie ran some tests and told me I was through it. I did go thru the hot flashes (which were miserable!) but other than that it was noneventful. I went thru it about 10 years ago, I'm 58 now.

• Related Discussions

Newbie (Somewhat Lengthy)

Q

Comments (6)
    Welcome to the wild, wonderful, insane, magical world of winter sowing Brad!! You've found some of the friendliest folks on GardenWeb. Have you read the winter sowing FAQs as well as the information on trudi's website, wintersown.org? That's where you'll find the answers to most of your questions. There are helpful lists of plants by zone that make good WS candidates. You'll soon learn one of the downsides of common plant names is they don't tell you whether they're perennial, annual or biennial while the botanical names clear things up pretty quick. Annuals: Zinnias, sunflowers, marigolds, nasturtium, celosia, four o'clock & peppers Perennials: Columbine, blanket flower, rose campion, hollyhock, balloon flower & oriental poppies Black-eyed Susan & gloriosa daisy self seed so even though the original plant dies over the winter, you should have new ones the next year. Those are general guidelines and if I'm wrong someone here will let us both know. What type of garden are you aiming for? I'll have LOTS of perennial seeds to trade later in the fall. As a newbie, I invite you to chose a few in exchange for a SASBE. Check my trade list & shoot me an email if you're interested.
    ...See More

Just started Menopause or Peri-Menopause, oh no!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi melonwhelz, Sorry I didn't respond sooner, had a rough week taking my dog who has an incurable disease to all these different vets. He will be okay and I will just pray for the best as he is my bestest friend. Anyway, the day after I posted, I started to spot, thought I was going to get my period, but nope! It never happened. I have to make an app't to see my gyno. Yes, my body is very confused and sending mixed messages to my brain which I hate! At least when I had Lyme I knew all my symptoms including the mood swings and depression, but this is a whole new ballgame! I am feeling a different type of depression, almost like I am bored but too tired to do anything about it. I did receive the book "Awakening at Midlife" yesterday so I am going to start reading that. How is your sister? I help many people who have Lyme Disease because it is horrible and so misunderstood, especially by doctors because they don't know how to treat it. What helped me recover was following a book written by a brilliant doctor named Dr. David Jernigan (Beating Lyme Disease Using Alternative Medicine". I know so many people that are cured now because of Dr. Jernigan. Maybe your sister should buy the book? Anyway, I feel so drained, is that normal? I need to vacuum and do some laundry but I'm not doing it, LOL! I am laughing at your drumroll:::: THE CHANGE! Oh why oh why don't men get this? Yeah, I'm bad. Denise
    ...See More

Shady Deck Advise (sorry pretty lengthy)

Q

Comments (3)
    Z, I try to talk my clients out of cedar decks, but I really do like working with cedar. It's so light, and easy to work with...but it's soft, and will degrade quickly unless you re-seal it every year. I don't know eastern or northern cedar. I get western red here in NY. don't go with the clips. face screw the boards, and countersink the screws. the screws won't give you a problem. they don't pop up like nails. tree trash is always a problem...but shade is nice. make sure to give those trees room to grow. steve
    ...See More

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack! (careful ... a little lengthy)

Q

Comments (21)
    Joyce, I missed the forum for a day & when I checked in ---- found all the wonderful comments!! You knew you had great friends here - & I know you knew we were praying & pulling for you in your absence. I'm SO glad you're quilting again!! And as you are one of the most creative ladies on the planet, I'm anticipating all the good things that are going to flow from those fingers!! YEA!!!! JOYCE!!!!! you go girl!! (I'm w/Kay, jumping up & down, pom poms waving in the air...
    ...See More
  • Maura63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Moni. I also don't want to take take anything.

So -- "menopause" can be sudden-onset? What is "peri-menopause" and how does one know if that applies to them?

I guess some questions come to mind: how long does a "hot flash" last? I'm thinking it must come and go quickly, hence the word "flash"... Also, for how long are they present? Months? Years? So far this seems to be my only "symptom".

I didn't know there is a "menopause" board, so I headed over there -- Now I am nervous about a "middle-aged" spread - which I have to an extent, but I hope I hope I still have a "fighting chance"!

• azzalea
    12 years ago

Menopause can be sudden--according to my aunt, she just suddenly stopped having her period and never had another one (and apparently no real symptoms of menopause). My mom, like yours, had a hysterectomy in her 40's.

Me? I started around age 42--irregular periods, the occasional hot flash, every so often a super heavy period. And it was about 6 years before I was completely 'done'.

However, you want anecdotes/personal experiences? I went into that age with the state of mind that it was a normal stage of life, NOT a sickness or 'condition', and that I was NOT going to take dangerous drugs for something that was supposed to occur naturally. I found that attitude was everything. Hot flashes? they don't last that long. And in winter it was nice to know, if I got chilly, in a little while, my personal furnace would kick in. Of course, I was cranky from time to time, but I was well aware that it was hormone-related and tried my best not to inflict my moods too much on my family. Oh, and there is a definite upside to menopause. ALL your hormones go out of whack--including your testosterone (which controls a woman's sex drive, of course). My husband enjoyed menopause with me--often 3-4-5 times a DAY!

Oh, and I believe that the later you start, the shorter the process takes, so you may be in good shape there, since you're starting so late. Probably won't last as long for you as it did for me. But speaking of those pregnancy tests? Boy, did I buy a lot of them during my 40's--LOL.

Best thing you can do for yourself is to realize that this is completely natural, there are benefits as well as detriments, and it's going to be temporary.

Lastly? Sounds as if you've experienced your first missed period. Sometimes they're late, sometimes you miss one altogether--no real rhyme or reason I could discern. Take care of yourself, but don't make yourself crazy over this next life adventure.

• heather_on
    12 years ago

I went through menopause without even knowing it. Aunt Flo didn't arrive so I simply forgot she was in the family. Tropical moments never were much of a bother for me.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

If you haven't seen it, there is a menopause forum. I look at it every so often, mainly to figure out when mine is going to occur. I'll be 55 soon and no signs whatsoever yet!!

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Started a few years ago, had a period once a year, in July when I was on vacation. None so far this year. I'm hoping it's gone forever. My GYN wanted me to start taking hormones because I was too young to not have a period according to her. I refused them. Have had hot flashes on and off for a couple years, they're back again. I also freeze when I'm not having hot flashes. So, all night long I'm throwing the covers on and putting them back on again and turning the thermostat up. I hate being cold more than I do being hot.

Oh, I'll be 49 next month. I can't believe I'm almost 50!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

I dont think I ever had what is commonly called the hot flashes etc. I remember I was in England at the time and doing a lot of walking and sightseeing etc. I think I must have been like Heather on

• matti5
    12 years ago

I have been in peri-menopause for nearly 6 years, I'm 54. My periods would stop for a few months and then start up again. Menopause is when you have not had a period for 12 months, but that is not a true indicator . Last June I had a hysterectomy due to large fibroids. I kept my ovaries. Since December I started experiencing hot flashes and being that it is summer now, they are ten times worse. My blood work shows that my estrogen is very low, hence the hot flashes. The other symptoms I am experiencing are muscle aches and meno-brain, can't remember a dang thing and often feel like I am in a fog. Sleep is disturpted due to hot flashes and night sweats.

I do not want to take HRT, so I look for natural remedies. My gyn recommended upping my fish oil to 1000 mg and I find that my hot flashes are lessening. I will often experience up to 10 a day and 5 at night. Stress will increase hot flashes, so deep breathing excercises are helpful. I sometimes sleep with a chillow to keep my head cool.

I hope you sail through this adventure with no issues!

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've been in peri-menopause for years, in my 40's. Out of the blue for no reason I'd get hot as heck and my face would flush, and I'd ask if it was hot in here. Mom and family would laugh and say it's me. Off would go the sweatshirt (in winter), or whatever top I was wearing. Then a couple minutes later it would go back on again!

What I notice is I get hot as heck and then cold!!
    I've read that flax seeds can control the hot flashes to 50%, so I'm hoping that's the case.

I wish my periods would stop, but they are fairly regular, with a couple of months where it doesn't come. It's the not knowing that I don't like.

Mood swings, oh they are there. I can stew and simmer over the smallest thing.....mainly at hubs.

I've had a night sweat. Nothing like trying to get back to sleep in damp, cold sheets!

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I had not had a period for several months and thought I was finished with them. I was working at a university at the time and had several young student assistants working for me so I gathered up all my supplies and gave them to the students in my office. Those girls were so appreciative. A couple of months later I had a period and had to buy more supplies. LOL.

• foggyj
    12 years ago

My menopausal state has lasted for 12 years now. (began at 52). If anything, in the past 3 years, the hot flashes have gotten worse. More frequent, and still about once a night. They're enough to wake me for a few seconds, OFF go the covers! My gyno said I should make the choice about HRT. "If you can put up with the bodily changes, then don't take HRT." So, I decided I would live with it, and stay off them.
    I definately believe in menopausal weight gain. At first, I used that as an excuse, but I see now, it's a real fact, that any fat you eat stays right on the hips and belly! I did not have that problem before this all started, and can't lose it.

• renee_b
    12 years ago

Maura, am I ever so glad you've brought this subject up. I have just turned 49 a couple of weeks ago but have been experiencing menopause for the past 6 months. My cycle has always been perfect. You could set a clock to mine. In the past 6 months I've experienced a couple missed periods, then 2 periods in one month. My last one was June 6. I had a tubal 15 years ago, cut, tied and fried, so I know I'm not pregnant. The hot flashes are the worse. I experience about a half a dozen a day. Is this normal?? The night sweats are interrupting my sleep and my husbands. Since I was 15 I've been diagnosed with hormonal migranes. I knew to the day when I would get a migrane. Never had the PMS symptoms that all my friends talked about. Now... I'm having headaches and sometimes migranes 2-3 times a week. I'm irritable, moody at times. I use to always let things go over my head, didn't want to make waves, now, I let loose on all that ails me and let people know exactly how I feel about things. Good or bad.

So, these are the things I've been experiencing. I do have an appt. with my GYN next month. I don't really want to start taking pills, I would like to go through this natural, is possible.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I started with just night sweats when I was 48, then it quickly progressed to hot flashes a couple times an hour, and that stopped when I was about 55 or so.

I didn't take anything for it, just let it run its natural course. I did wear layered cotton clothing, wore my hair up off my neck, and I kept a washcloth handy near my desk to dry off after each flash.

DH didn't even know I was in menopause. LOL

• Silverdove
    12 years ago

My last period was over eight years ago, when I was 57. I still get hot flashes, mainly at night.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I had Fibroid tumors and heavy erratic periods. I started looking for sgns of menopause at 52, even got my Gynecologist concerned enough to order endocrine testing (Blood test for Follicle Stimulating Hormone-FSH). Finally in August 2007,at age 54 nearly 55, right after my annual Pap test, I stopped my periods. Hooray! I've had night sweats,but not other symptoms. MY DH is used to me being a beotch all my life, so he can't tell the difference. Just my story. There's a Menopause forum over on the Health Topics.

• deamn
    12 years ago

I was another one that never knew that I was going through it. Just stopped having periods. That was it, end of story! LOL!

I was about 53 when the Dr. said, your body must have just went through it naturally.

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

Hot flashes came several an hour, or two or three a day at times. No rhyme or reason for the timing.

Now, I can still get one, if I eat chocolate. Like half a bar.

Doesn't matter, cause I no longer have chocolate cravings. Hat them pretty bad for a couple of years, but they left when I left the marriage. Go figure.

I didn't take anything, just let nature take its course.

Hot flashes never lasted more than a couple of minutes. Really, it wasn't that bad.

Just post here, and tell us when things bother you. We will help you through it.

Moni

• nycefarm_gw
    12 years ago

Started the process at 40ish was done within a year. Dr kept saying I was too young, apparently not... Still asks when my last period was - uh, like over TEN years ago! read your danged notes!

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

To show you all how dumb I was.....I had a hysterectomy in my late 30s and of course thought, that would be it....How wrong I was! The hot flashes came a few years later and lasted until I finally started with Premarin and have been on it for close to 35 years....I attempted to take myself off and all the nasty symptoms came back in force so back on the drug...But, my heart doctor did recommend I don't quit, just take 1/2 a dose and that has really helped...So to avoid serious injury or even death to anyone around me, I'll take the drug....One thing, they do tell me, Premarin is good for the bones.....
    Have you all noticed, Men and Pause in Menopause??????

• Maura63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG-ness..... I went out for the day (a little "shopping" therapy - thought I'd do my part to boost the economy, but alas I got great bargains at Lord & Taylor and spent all of $50.)

But I digress..... I can't thank you all enough for your responses and sharing your stories/experiences. I've read each one word-for-word, and am feeling a bit better about this "stage". I brought it up to DH a few times these past few weeks and I think he is in more disbelief than I am.

It's time like this that I wish I had a sister, or that I miss my Mom a bit more.

Thank you again!

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Menopause???? My wife told me it was "Men on Pause"

• foggyj
    12 years ago

It's THAT too!

• amicus
    12 years ago

Marita40, I'm glad you posted because I'm almost 56, haven't had any menopause symptoms and my doctor says my hormone levels still haven't changed at all. My mother and sisters finished menopause around age 50, so I'm late, in comparison. I confess I feel slightly embarassed still having to buy the feminine products, as if the cashier must be thinking "surely they're not for HER" lol!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

If this is your first "irregular" period, keep your feminine products around. I went for nine months without a period, then had two, then none for six months, then another. It was about 6 years of irregular, completely unpredictable periods.

Just keep the supplies around.

• jae_tn2
    12 years ago

i went through it very uneventfully, at 40 - 41. had 2 very heavy cycles, some questionable hot flashes then done. i say questionable because it was winter and i wore turtlenecks and sweaters and got warm while sitting very close to a lamp doing needlework every night. i was a very lucky woman!

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

I started in my thirties. Hot flashes, night sweats. No sweat shirts in the winter. Sleeveless Christmas shopping in northern Ohio. I had a hysterectomy in 1999, kept the overies. No more hot flashes or night sweats. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've started the hot flashes occasionally. I had a grapefruit sized fibroid, hence the hysterectomy. I am more prone to FREEZE flashes! I'm suddenly freezing, chilled through. And I can't get warm for hours. Usually in the winter. Hot flashes in the summer. I figure I did something for God to punish me, or it would be the other way around! I am 52.

• nancylee_ky
    12 years ago

for me, menopause was very gradual - started having irregular or light periods around age 48 and by 50 no periods at all. Never had hot flashes or mood swings. Did gain the weight tho.... :>(

• 3katz4me
    12 years ago

As you can see by what everyone has posted here, it varies widely. Mine ended abruptly when I was 49 with no hot flashes or any other problems but this happened following a uterine fibroid embolization procedure - not entirely unexpected. My mother said she had no problems with menopause either but I don't know if it was gradual or abrupt. I have a friend who has been going through it for months - thinks she's done having periods and then they start again after months. I'm so happy mine just ended and I was done with it once and for all.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

pickyshopper, it is good to remember that the average age for menopause is 51.7 years. So half of all women experience it before that, and half after.

It is amazing on how widely it varies!

• jannie
    12 years ago

My younger sister and I compared symptoms, hers was about the same as mine. Periods just stopped on their own, night sweats, no biggie.

• two25acres
    12 years ago

I to thought that my mom and her mom would be an indicator of what I might face with menopause but they weren't. Grandma had a hysterectomy and mom had six kids. I have none. Mom's lasted about 10 years, hot flashes real bad and just couldn't make sound decisions. Very moody as well. For me, 50 today, last period a year ago. Hot flashes a few times a day but the thing that bothers me most is the mood changes. I have always been a pretty even keeled kind of person. Mom always called me laid back Laura. Stress never got to me before but now, I have a real hard time with it. Fortuneately I work with men, my husband being one of them and a our boss is a friend I've known for 20 years. I've always been able to be brutally honest with him and if I'm having a bad day, I forwarn him and he keeps his distance. Leg cramps have also been real bad since this all started. Fortuneately I can control it to some degree with supplements of calcium/magnesium along with black strap molasses.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Marita40, I'm glad you posted because I'm almost 56, haven't had any menopause symptoms and my doctor says my hormone levels still haven't changed at all. "

Me too!
    I AM 56, and nowhere near menopausal.

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

I sometimes wonder what all those supplies cost me all these years (including all that underwear I had to replace). I got my first period ridiculously early, at 11, so this has been going on a long, long time! I'm sure looking forward to periods stopping, although night sweats, irritability (this one will be hard to gauge as it is pretty much the norm!),and weight gain sound miserable. There's a doctor who sometimes is on PBS (Christine someone?) who wrote a book on the menopause years. I've been meaning to get it. Has anyone read it or anything else helpful?

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

I'm 52 and have been having erratic periods for a few years.. I'd skip a month or have 2 periods in one month. I think I'm on month number 5 of not having a period right now. I had terrible PMS and cramps for the past 20 years so I am not missing that at all!

Hot flashes? I don't know if I am having them or if it is part of my thyroid issues. I used to be freezing cold all the time, now I am HOT almost constantly. Covers are off then on all night long. In the morning the 'heat thing' starts up as soon as I get out of bed. It's not like a 'flash'... I'm just very hot and it'll last up to a half hour. This goes on off and on throughout the day, I get hot from my head to my feet, can't hardly stand to even wear shoes.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

ignored my symptoms and ended up with cancer...so do keep your appts..dr pulled out everything, good, cause when i developed breast cancer it was hormone related...now i take anti-hormone tabs, (until lately, VERY expensive) never had a hot flash til i started the pills..but, like right now have a shawl over my shoulder (fan's on) but start getting hot and take it off...

tell you the best thing that happen? no more headaches after it was all gone...used to get these monthly ones that lasted 10 hours...it was aweful...

• joann23456
    12 years ago

I started perimenopause in my mid-40's, terribly heavy periods (even worse than usual, which was bad enough), tons of clotting, horrible pain (again, even worse than usual). The periods would last for 10 days, then I'd get maybe 2-1/2 weeks off, and then the next one would start. Terrible hot flashes, though I never took anything for them, just figured that was part of the package. Got used to carrying hair elastics, though, because I couldn't stand the feeling of hair on my neck when the hot flashes hit.

Perimenopause lasted about 4-5 years for me.

• Cherryfizz
    12 years ago

I am 54 and no signs of menopause yet. Most of my friends experience no periods, terrible mood swings, hot flashes and night sweats. I had the blood test. I want the periods to end but I don't want to experience what my friends are going through.

My periods sometimes double up so I have to always be prepared but I always seem to know within days that I am going to have one. Thank goodness for those signs LOL

Anne