SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zebadie

Shady Deck Advise (sorry pretty lengthy)

zebadie
17 years ago

I have scanned this forum for many days now trying to find all the answers, but the more I research the more confused I become. I will give a description of my situation and concerns and see if anyone bites on giving advise.

I moved into a home in Northern Houston Texas in December from Oklahoma, my bad that I did not give the deck the attention that I should of and have since come to the realization that the deck needs to be replaced. I have decided on about a $6000 budget to replace it, and plan on doing all the construction myself.

The deck will be constructed around an inground pool and in total cover about 1200 sq. ft. The elevation of the deck will range from about 12 inches next to the house to about 30 inches it is highest point. One long side and one short side of the rectangular deck will butt up against solid structures (house & garage) with the other two sides raised and railed.

Several (7) large pine trees surround the deck and a few will even be enclosed within the deck (3) itself, leaving the deck very shady with only parts of the deck and pool receiving a few hours of sunlight daily. I have grown to hate every thing associated with pine trees, needles, cones, pollen, and loose bark. There is a constant barrage of junk falling onto deck and into pool.

I plan on building the deck out of PT lumber for the substructure and Cedar decking (5/4). I also know that many here do not like the Tiger Claw fasteners but regardless I have decided to endeavor to use them, in an attempt to reduce some barefoot hazards associated with screws/nails in decking.

Now for my questions:

Should I have any concerns about what preservative to use in shade, it seems that all threads in this forum account for sunlight, UV and drying times but I cant find anything about shady areas?

Should I have and concerns or take any special precautions because of the pine waste?

Can I use a spot of glue with the Tiger clips to reduce the effects of cupping that I have read here is a hazard associated with them?

I have about decided upon Northern Red Cedar, but have a avenue to obtain Easter Red Cedar very cheaply. Does anyone have any experience with this product when used as a decking material? (Typically used in furniture, closet linings, and fence posts) Does anyone have any leads on great deals for Cedar if I choose NRC?

Should I have any concerns about traction with little wet feet on certain preservatives?

Zebadie

Comments (3)