SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

I don't think I'll fly Delta again...(photos)

rosemaryt
15 years ago

Here's a photo of wing of yesterday's Delta airplane: Note large metal patch on wing.

It may be hard to see in this photo (snapped with my cell phone), but this appears to be a PATCH of sheet metal on the wing of a very, very aged MD-80, which I flew on from Atlanta to Norfolk yesterday. And the patch had been painted with some gray spray paint which was bubbling and flaking off. I wish I'd had my digital camera but if you look close at this low-resolution photo, you can see a row of rivets along the leading edge of the scabbed-on patch. Notice that the rivets stop and start on the front edge of this patch. The photo doesn't do it justice, but in real life, you could see this wasn't part of the original wing. (This was the last of four planes I was on for my journey to the West Coast.)

The interior of the plane wasn't much better. The pre-molded plastic sections that form the interior walls were warped and bent and twisted, and sitting in my window seat, I could look down the wall line and see how damaged each panel was. In one spot, I could see the wiring harnesses up above, due to an opening in the molding.

When we took off, the plane shuddered and shimmied and another passenger commented that she'd never been on such a "creaky, noisy old plane" in her whole life.

I too felt like I was flying on some world war two movie prop.

On the first leg of this journey (on a nice, new CRJ-700) we had to make an emergency stop to take on more fuel, so that was pretty thrilling. And this was only a 600-mile flight!!! Apparently, these airlines are cutting things a LITTLE too close.

This was my first Delta flight and probably my last. I flew from Norfolk, VA to Oregon and back (quickie trip) and man oh man, am I glad to be back home.

When I first saw this patched-up wing, I almost got off the plane because I was so concerned but then decided I wanted to go home more than anything. So, tell me I'm not the only one who'd be freaked out by this creaky old patched up aircraft???

Comments (24)