SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janie_ga

I need KT prayers and hugs...

janie_ga
14 years ago

I am still in the HELL of comprehensive exams. I had to do remediation on 3 of the 5 questions. I have completed on and passed it. I still have 2 left and my nerves are shot. I have to have them finished by Monday. I am at a training tonight and tomorrow but working on it when I can and all weekend. Was not happy about having to do this training this week but I didn't have much say.

I have been a basket case for the past 4 weeks (comps started June 3rd). Once I turn everything in Monday, I will hopefully find out by the end of the week if I pass or fail. Pass and I get to stay int he PhD program, fail and I do not know what I will do. All of my and Eric's plans are riding on me passing.

I know that in the whole scheme of life, this is minor but that isn't making it any easier to deal with. I have been in tears for at least part of a day for the past week. I knew comps would be the worst part of the program but I wasn't expecting it to keep going and going and going!

Comments (27)

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry this has been so hard on you. Take a few deep breaths and relax a few minutes before you tackle it again. You will be fine.

Good luck.

Linda

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Bless you!

May there be a rainbow waiting for you when you are finally finished!

The best of luck to you!

• Related Discussions

In dire need of hugs & prayers

Q

Comments (79)
    YIPPEEE!!! We got a letter from our boy! It's hard to read without crying, but overall he's doing ok. He's safe, has gained a reputation as being an artist, and his drawings are in demand. People are decent to him, no one has threatened him or tried to hurt him. He is bored out of his mind and missing his family desperately. He's currently at an intake facility, where they decide where he'll be sent to finish out his sentence. IF he has to do the whole 13 months, it'll likely be in a minimum security and even possibly at a place where he can go work offsite. The boredom is killing him, gives him too much time think about missing everyone. There is more to share, nothing really new to update, just a lot of great support from people. I'm exhausted, emotionally and physically, but at least now I've heard from my boy again, and can read that letter over and over at my leisure. But for now, I'm off to make dinner....his girlfriend and my eldest DD are coming soon, so I need to feed everyone. Just thought I'd update you all.
    ...See More

KT prayers REALLY needed....

Q

Comments (13)
    Count me in....and once again I say...."Where two or more are gathered together ".... That's where the KT power comes from... My prayers have been sent.... patti
    ...See More

KT thoughts and prayers needed, please!

Q

Comments (50)
    My special thoughts going out to your Terry for a successful outcome. I hope all is well this morning. I spent yesterday with a cousin whose husband had a liver transplant about 9 years ago. He has done wonderfully and is working, leading a normal life. Yes, miracles do happen.
    ...See More

Need some KT prayers

Q

Comments (23)
    Gosh I am sorry you have to wait so long. I will be sending prayers for a good diagnosis and courage to get through the next too many days. Nanny
    ...See More
  • loggerbaby123
    14 years ago

try to step away for a few hours? maybe that would help? just get some time to yourself? then maybe go back to it with a fresh mind? im sorry this is hard on you, but youve been working so hard dont give up now! youve been good so far! YOU CAN DO THIS!! its tough, but i have a feeling youre tough too. wishing you the best! oh and lotsa hugs and prayers too! you deserve them!

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

Janie, I don't know what it means that you have to do remediation on some of the questions ... but evidently it's pretty bad. So consider yourself hugged.

(((((Janie)))))

Best wishes for you, for a clear mind .

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Janie, step back and take a deep breath. I am sure this is a difficult time. Take some time and pat yourself on the back for doing so well so far. Take it one step at a time.. You sound like a very hard working and smart gal to me. I am sure you will do a terrific job. Remember the words, "I know I can."

I will be thinking of you..

Susie

• mcmann
    14 years ago

That really is a stressful situation. I wish all the best for you and lots of hugs too.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

I sure feel for you, Janie. Are you older than fresh-out-of-college? If so, wow! And if not, wow! Because it sounds like your program is difficult and demanding. I concur with what the others said about taking a little break, if you possibly can. Also, I understand (boy, do I!!) that chocolate helps. And when you take your exam, suck on a peppermint candy, preferably the "star" candies. I heard and tell my kids it peps up the brain! Much good luck and strength to you.

• grammahony
    14 years ago

Hang in there Janie. It must be nerve wracking. Prayers for you.
    Leslie

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

You've made it this far, so I know you can do it Janie!!

Sending good thoughts your way.

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Sjerin, my mentor gave me peppermint gum to much on while I worked on the written part back in June. I had mentioned to her about it being good for the brain.

Stoney, remediation is "a second shot to fix what your screwed up on the first time". My committee has been telling me all along that I am doing great and they know I know this stuff. Somehow, the doing great is hard to believe since I basically failed 3 out of 5 questions! I know I know this stuff and they know I know it but I am having a miserable time getting it on paper in some semblance of what they are wanting (and did an even worse job trying to explain stuff in the oral/interview part of the testing). I can not have them look over my work until I am finished so I have to continue on regardless of whether or not I am on the right track- I think that is the hardest part!

Eric had a friend visit from Atlanta last weekend so I had quite a few laugh watching them. I found a bag of popcorn in the kitchen at the hotel so I am sitting here with a pot of caffeinated coffee and popcorn, watching Deadliest Catch, and working on one of the papers. As much as I have been dreading this trip, I have made some progress tonight not having cats "helping" me. I am down to the last four days of working on it so breaks are very limited. I am averaging about 4-5 hours a day working on the papers or searching for information that supports what I am writing- or trying to figure out what the heck I am supposed to be doing.

thanks for letting me vent to all of you. Eric is being wonderful but I am feeling guilty for putting him through all of this.

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

Oh Janie I feel for you!
    I have faith you will do great!
    You're a smart gal.
    Hugs and best wishes for you sweetie!

• petaloid
    14 years ago

You WILL get through this and you WILL be okay!

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

Don't let it get you down, Janie, please ... or all bent out of shape, either.

This, too, is part of life ... as is the loss of a kid, a parent or a partner ... but they aren't in the same league!

You have honed that skilled brain for a long time: trust that it, and your skills and experience will see you through.

It is hard to face the difficulties that life throws at us with a relaxed manner, trusting that things will work out well.

Keep your focus and trust that you'll succeed.

I pray that you will be at your peak of capability and that your judgement is sound through the next few dsys ... and that you have confidence that you will do well.

(((((Janie GA))))))

ole joyful

P.S. I have a dialogue box that keeps popping up on this computer, that accuses me of being an "Invalid character" ...

... and I might be inclined to believe it - but this person, who admits to being a character, hasn't felt at all sickly, lately!

o j

• kgal_2008
    14 years ago

I'm new to the KT but your message makes me want to send you a big hug along with a wish that you can allow yourself to take a long deep breath and say to yourself that you have come this far and that you ARE going to get the rest of the way to you PHD. Sorry that sentence was so long. My Mom always told me that our greatest successes come with the hardest struggles. It will all be worth it.
    Lots of hugs and choclate is good too!
    Gale in Kentucky

• LorifromUtah
    14 years ago

I sorry to hear of your stress Janie and please stop apologzing.
    (Janie)
    This means a lot to you and you've worked very hard.
    Of course you are anxious and nervous!
    Like you said, it will soon be over and I think the outcome will be wonderful!

Lori

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

hope you had a good night's sleep! knowing you're on the last wave of your education can be daunting enough, but YOU have everything work for YOU...just keep those positive thoughts!

• margad
    14 years ago

Hope you are feeling better. We are all praying for you.

• vannie
    14 years ago

Trust yourself!! I remember the tension when I got my Master's but can't imagine for a Ph.D. You'll do great!

• Linda Wayman
    14 years ago

Janie, I'm sorry you are so stressed. Here's a hug for you (((( Janie )))) and there are prayers to follow. Good luck Janie.

Linda

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Awwww. I wish I could reach out and give you a big hug, Janie. (And grab a handful of popcorn while I'm at it!) I know you're going to be OK and so relieved when this is all over, just try not to stress and panic! And I think Eric would be mortified to know that you feel guilty for putting HIM thru this- YOU are the one working your fanny off for this and I'm sure he's happy to pick up any temporary slack it causes because he knows that you're doing all this for the two of you! Sheesh, woman, talk about misplaced guilt! Come on!

I hope your little break last night helped you,kiddo. We were watching the same show at the same time, so just be glad you're not out on the Bering Sea freezing your noogies off, OK? Now THAT would stink!

You're going to be fine. I hope your bug sting is feeling better, too. (((((Janie)))))

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Janie. That does help ...

Now, maybe somebody here can help you? If it's a matter of providing a clear explanation or definition, perhaps you could send what you've prepared to one of us, for a pair of fresh eyes to look it over and see if there are any glaring holes? Or is the topic one that most of typically wouldn't have a clue?

I'd sure help if I could. I'm pretty familiar with topic organization and grammar.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

((((((((Janie)))))))))) and if I had your address, I would send chocolate ice cream too :^)

• janie_ga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awwww! Thanks all! I just got back from Baltimore.

When I was driving over yesterday afternoon, I would have rather had a GYN appointment than go to the meeting! LOL

But it turned out very good. First thing we had to do was a "problem solving inventory/survey". I started laughing at some of the questions and had to explain to everyone (only 6 of us int he room) that I was a month into comps remediation and my problem solving skills "went out the window" about a week ago. Most of the ladies had a PhD and shared what they went through. The training was about a program to help people problem solve their barriers to healthy eating and physical activity. Was quite interesting but my brain turned off around 2:30 so I missed the last hour and a half- will have to read up on it again next week,lol.

Stoney, I wish I could send it to you. Most of my "freak out" Monday/Tuesday was because I found out being able to "use any resource" did not include letting a human read over what I had written. Created some panic and additional frustration. My advisor was fine and told me not to worry but I was so close to the fragile mind stage that I "tipped right on over".

I seem to be running one good "freak out" every two years or so and I hope this one will hold me for a while.

I am off to work on those rewrite for a few hours before bed and will keep everyone posted.

Janie, who is printing all the support to keep reading over the weekend!

• Granlan_TX
    14 years ago

Janie, give yourself a pat on the back and please accept the one I'm sending your way. I think you've done very well for yourself and I know it hasn't been easy. :)

• gemini40
    14 years ago

Janie, I cannot imagine the stress you are dealing with,but let me tell you about my daughter in law at the age 0f 36, married 2 kids, having only a high school diploma, a couple of years of college behind her..she goes to law school, passes, takes bar exam failed 1st attempt, passed second attempt..6 mos. later. She was so determined to achieve this goal, nothing was going to stop her. That is what I see in you, the same determination you CAN get it done!!!!

June

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Janie, you bet you get hugs and prayers! I know you can do it. Don't feel guilty, Eric wouldn't want you to. It sounds like you have a bit of my DS's problem. He aced his hands on exam for EMS, but written is a horrible struggle for him. They haven't had an opening for his certification test yet, and that will make it harder for him.

Now, as my brother keeps telling DS and his Dstepdaughter, quit thinking it to death and "just do it!" (Yes, I know it's more complicated than that), but the more they think about it, the more complicated it makes it for them. His dsd has taken and failed paramedic three times. She will make it, and her goal is life flight. You will make it this time thru, I know.
    Tami

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Janie, I immediately thought the same thing that Flamey did - don't feel guilty for what you're "doing to Eric". He knows that it's a difficult time and, look at it this way, the end result will benefit both of you.

Keep your chin up, peach and the shoulder to the wheel. You're almost there!