SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
workoutlady

Family problem regarding medical choices - long

15 years ago

This is a long story that I'm trying to shorten. About 4 years back we noticed my brother losing lots of weight, when we questionned him he said it felt like something was stuck in his throat and he just couldn't eat. Fast forward to last year, after lots of tests and other stuff, they found out he had to have his aorta fixed. This seemed to work for awhile until more problems developed. A couple of weeks ago he had heart surgery to have a new valve put in. Now his kidneys are shutting down and he's doctoring with this.

That's the long and short of his medical problems but by no means the end. What I didn't tell you is that my brother is an alcoholic - he went thru treatment and has been clean for about one year. Because of the alcohol, he started having seizures and now he can't remember anything and is EXTREMELY agitated. My sister handles all his money because he can't (He's on SSI.) My brother refuses to see a doctor but when we question him about what is going on, he just tells us off (add your own words there.) We do not believe he is able to think straight. Yesterday, he decided he wanted to go to the kidney doctor but when we got there today, he flew off the handle and thought we were just tricking him. To make matters worse, the doctor is of a different nationality and DB really said some bad things.

If we do nothing, he will die. While I know that this is his choice in the end, I don't believe he has the capacity to make this choice based on his history and based on the fact that he can't remember anything really except how to swear at us.

So, anyone got any ideas on what, if anything can be done? Where do we turn? Is it possible to get a judge to let someone else make his medical decisions?

Please I don't want anyone to tell me it is his decision. That is not my question. I can live with it if his choice is to die. I can't live with it if he did not understand his choices in the first place.

Comments (9)