SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_m

Carpet choice for high-traffic family room

10 years ago

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on carpet for our family room. It's on the first level where all traffic feeds into the home. The carpet will be on a concrete slab. We've always had carpet, and I'd prefer to switch to engineered hardwood or cork, but my husband fears that would cause issues with the acoustics... so we're looking at carpet.

I think I'd like to go with a patterned carpet and I really like the softness of the SoftStrand Silk carpets by Mohawk and Karastan.

We have a Dyson Animal vacuum which I like a lot, too. I've tested the vacuum on a square of Karastan and verified problems pushing the vacuum--even though the carpet style is a low patterned carpet--not a high pile.

I've seen the SoftSpring Platinum Plus Anso Nylon with R2X at Home Depot (Breathtaking pattern) and like that, too. I haven't had a large sample at home to test whether vacuum issues are similar with this carpet.

A sample of Mohawk SmartStrand (that is not "silk") in a low patterned style did not appear to have the same vacuum issues.

Should I believe the marketing that says SmartStrand is revolutionary and get that carpet for easier cleaning and texture retention in this high traffic area? (And use my old vacuum or get a new approved one.) By the way, I know that carpet manufacturers are not recommending Dysons, but I've been vacuuming our house with a Dyson for several years and haven't ruined my carpets.

Is Anso Nylon with R2X also a practical choice for this area? What sort of differences could I expect?

Is the vacuum/suction issue a problem with ALL of the new "soft" carpets--including nylon--or just with SmartStrand fibers?

I'd like to hear about your experiences or recommendations. Thanks!

Comments (9)